“Very disappointing”

Ranked #36 of 83 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked a table for afternoon tea for a special occasion at the Alexandra Hotel, having seen the website which seemed to show a stylish hotel.
The tablecloth was linen, but the napkins were blue paper which spoiled the effect. We were given a tatty old menu and were required to order at the bar which seems a bit odd for "Alexandra's full afternoon tea". This reflected the whole experience of afternoon tea - very little input from the waiting staff. I was disappointed in some of the food. Two of the lemon possets were served in partially scraped out lemon skins, with pips, and these possets were completely runny - the other two were set but served in odd glasses. We had to ask for spoons to eat these with. The sandwiches were lovely, (but there were not an equal number of each), and the scones, cream and jam were very generous. I felt the cakes were dry and uninspiring and all of them were chocolate. It seemed a shame that not more effort was put into the afternoon tea - as it could, with a little more style, be lovely especially in that position. No one came to ask if we were enjoying it, and the person who brought the bill didn't ask whether we had enjoyed the meal. So, better service needed and a little more finesse required with the tea so that food and crockery matches. A bit of a shame and I certainly wouldn't consider The Alexandra if I was looking for somewhere to celebrate a special occasion in the future.

2  Thank AmandaDorset
There are newer reviews for Alexandra

Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Alexandra is a light spacious restaurant overlooking the hotel garden and Lyme Regis bay. The hotel, built in 1735, is in the centre of Lyme Regis, but standing above Alexandra Park provides it with an outstanding and uninterrupted view. The restaurant has large windows, wooden floor and white table cloths.

To start I had a selection of local cured meats with sun dried tomatoes, rocket, parmesan and balsamic vinegar. The beautiful and delicate meats were overpowered by the strong surrounding tastes. We ate in the restaurant twice. On the second occasion, I had two starters; carpaccio with rocket, parmesan and capers then scallops with pea puree and pancetta. Both were excellent. For the main course I had locally caught brill with crushed potatoes, hollandaise and broccoli, which was courageously lightly cooked (in my view perfect).

We had difficulty with language and knowledge when we asked the table staff about the sourcing of our food. I avoid eating dredged scallops. Dredging does terrible damage to the sea bed. Alternatives are sea diving and farming. Staff didn’t know from where the food came.

Would I go again? Yes. Well I already have done. It is a beautiful restaurant serving very good food.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Have reviewed before but I am pleased to say the Sunday lunch experience was even better than last time. We had roast beef - which was as tender as a mother's kiss! The service was very good as well...our table for two, with linen, was large with plenty of space around us (unlike many places who seat you at a tiny table where you speak in a whisper, being a mere 18 inches from your neighbour).
Desserts were yummy and at 20 quid (July 14) for two courses...absolute bargain!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I had a great Roast Sirloin of Beef with fresh vegetables. Roast as it should be. Of course the great views are an great accompaniment to the food.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Fabulous position overlooking the sea & Cobb. We ate in the restaurant which was first class. Great service too.