“Good pasties, great croissants”
Review of The Cornish Bakery

The Cornish Bakery
Ranked #2 of 5 Bakeries in Lyme Regis
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Popped in for a pasty to take home for the evening meal. Presented with a large array of pasties but also a range of croissants that couldn't be ignored. I tried the almond and chocolate croissant first (sitting on a bench overlooking the sea, on the way back to the car) while my wife had the cherry and almond. Her choice was the better, but both were very good.

The traditional pasty was much better than the average ones you get, and the cheese and onion was very good. (The best I've come across are Pengenna pasties in Bude). We ended up with the apple and rhubarb, and were certainly happy with the day's purchases.

Very friendly service, and a chain to look out for.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Pasty Presto in Lyme Regis has managed to employ the cream of the local school children so has the most charming and delightful young people serving you. They are polite and patient and are very good at offering you other goods. Very pleasant atmosphere, well done!

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Recently visited while schools off had wonderful staff smiling very helpful even though very busy had two traditional and one BLC mouth wateringly good, definatly will visit again oh and for everyones info if you want a true gourmet coffee visit this shop,

Also like to add person who has done a review just before this obviously is not very clued up on what a tradtional cornish pasty obviously is mainly potatoe please is got swede onion and chunk of steak its no a damn pukka pie full of crap,

Keep up the good work in lyme as im sure many visitors do return.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The sign in the window said the traditional pasty had been declared "the best pasty in the world" in 2013 - so I bought one.
Inside my best pasty in the world were two very tiny pieces of meat amongst a boringly huge amount of potato.
I can only think that the pasty judged as the best in the world had been prepared especially for the competition or was up against pasties even more diabolically bad than the one I had today. Avoid!

3  Thank David J
PastyPresto, Guest Relations Manager at The Cornish Bakery, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am sorry you did not enjoy your pasties. Our bakery in Cornwall does check the contents of the pasties and whilst there are some variations in these hand-filled products, the system in place is comprehensive. The filling is layered and then the pasty is hand crimped. The crimpers monitor the product filling closely. Ten fillings, ten pastry bases and ten whole pasties are weight checked every 15 minutes.

Please accept our apologies for the Pasty you purchased having not been identified within the controls as stated above. We can assure you that everything is done to ensure this is an isolated incident. We encourage feedback on our website so that we are able to address any issues such as this, although thankfully, they are very rare, hence our winning the Worlds Best Pasty title.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I toyed with rating "average" as there are now quite a few decent pasty emporia dotted around the UK and this is just one of a chain Pasty Presto but as the coffee is as good as the pasties and the quality is maintained across the various branches, a " very good" is justified.
I had a large traditional pasty which had a good balance of meat, veg and spices. If I were to quibble, the crimped edge was a little thicker than I would have liked but as it was properly cooked through, it wasn't a problem. My two young boys ate every crumb of their small pasties so a big thumbs up from the junior contingent.
Overall, well worth a visit if you're a pasty fan.