“old and stylish”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Blandford Forum
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“old and stylish”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Nice old school hotel. good beer and friendly staff. Food very good but pricey, £13 for a burger.
Rooms are ok but could be a bit better. The shower is only any good if your 5 foot as its a monsoon shower and fixed to the wall.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Robertsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We called into the hotel reception looking for a one night stay in March. We were warmly greeted and offered a double room including breakfast for £60. We were offered room 33 at the back of the hotel on the second floor. It was a lovely room with a good size en suite and an over bath shower. Full tea and coffee making facilities including alternative teas and biscuits. We used the lift to the second floor. We booked a table in the restaurant for that evening. This was a Friday night and the hotel was very busy. The lounge and the bar area were full and noisy but the restaurant was quiet and had a good atmosphere and attentive staff. Our meal was displayed in a lovely fashion and tasted great. I tried the Badger pear cider which I enjoyed. We did have a problem with the bathroom fan which would not switch off after the light was turned off. We telephoned reception and they said they would attend to this. An hour later no one had arrived so on our way to the restaurant we pointed this our at reception. The receptionist was most apologetic and promised to get it looked at. On returning to our room the fan was still running but it was quieter and with the en suite door shut we could not hear it. Breakfast was served in the lounge area and the selection was second to none. They even had a whole honeycomb on the table for you to have with your toast. When we checked our we told the receptionist that the fan was still running and she offered her apologies and said it was looked a the night before and she thought it had been fixed. We enjoyed our stay at the Crown Hotel and would return when next in this area.

Room Tip: Although our room was at the back we did hear some noise from the kitchen air con units until they w...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

ok thats a bit harsh...the room was £60... midweek with breakfast...room was very nice...spotlessly clean...hot powerful shower...toiletries...gorgeous fluffy towels...room was warm...nicely decorated..really comfy clean bed...iron/board... kettle...choc/coffee.biscuits/bottled water... couldn't fault the room at all.and i would definetley stay again...beakfast..again really nice...the full english was as described...freshly cooked...smiley efficient check in lady...the food and drinks in the bar/restaurant of an evening are not expensive....but the food was terrible...i had fish and chips...it had a hyped up title on the menu...line caught..beer battered..eco friendly..blah blah...i think it had been on a diet... a mass of batter revealed a tiny piece of some non descript yelloish fish..that was just warm...un peeled potato chips and battered peas....oh dear.......the cheeseboard...was equally as dissapointing...just bland and uninteresting...i would go to this hotel again...but have a drink here before heading off to spend my expenses in a proper restaurant..

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
New Forest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the 4th year running. I booked a number of rooms and paid for guests to stay for this is an annual event. Considering they had a couple functions on they were understaffed. Room check in was slow and the lift didn't work - We were on the 2nd floor.. Room key problems not working not just me but the other guests I'd paid for.
Icing on the cake was breakfast. They have changed to self service - well there was someone dishing out the food. They ran out of food, no milk for the breakfast cereals, we had clear our own tables, and find our own knives and forks that was 14 of us many on separate tables. They had just one young lad working dishing our the bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans etc. I did feel sorry for him he just kept dashing off and apologizing for running out of food. At one point he had a long line of people and managed to bring out 6 eggs, he was firefighting the whole time and no one came to his rescue. Very frustrating and embarrassing. One young girl popped out and when I asked her for tea and coffee she just ignored me and pretended she didn't here. At this point it was nearly 55 minutes and still nothing.
Hasten to say I will not be staying there for a 5th year. We received a discounted rate of £90 per room and I still think it was too expensive. I suggest the hotel check out the guests who stayed on the 15th February and ask them all.

Room Tip: Ground floor if lift isn't working
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Chloe C, The Crown at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you for the feedback and please accept our most sincere apologies for not fulfilling your expectations; we take any feedback seriously and we have talked about this particular morning in our weekly managers meeting. With regards to breakfast, when we have large groups staying together, we sometimes run a “buffet style” of breakfast to speed things up as we tend to get more guests want to eat at the same time; we haven’t changed our style. Unfortunately, on this occasion, nearly all 60 of our guests came down at the same time and we didn’t cope very well. As a direct result of your comments, we have decided to put an extra team member on shift to give better service when large groups are staying together.

We are trying to improve systems for room check in but again, if several guests check in at the same time, it does slow everything down a bit. We’re pleased to say that the lift is now working again. It was out of service for a while due to the high volume of rain in Dorset; this caused groundwater to come into the lift shaft making it dangerous to use. Most of the properties with cellars in the town have suffered similarly during this atrocious weather we've experienced in Dorset.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

I work away weekly and stay in many hotels, worst service I've experienced in last 12 months. On arrival I had to wait 15 mins to check in. Reception not manned and had to ask at bar for help. Wifi is very poor quality. Breakfast took 30mins to arrive then my order was wrong. On check out had to wait again 10 mins. After waiting I asked a cleaner for help to be told receptionist was on her tea break. Appalling attitude from all staff I had interaction with. Gave feedback on my stay to manager on check out she was not interested in the slightest. I won't be in any rush to stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MikeWakefieldUK
Chloe C, The Crown at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for feeding this back to me, I have spoken to the two team members in question and showed them how disappointed you were with your stay. We have also covered this in our weekly head of department meeting. Please accept my apologies for feeling like they didn’t care; it certainly wasn’t their intention.

With regards to the Wi-Fi; we have had problems but have been monitoring it closely and have spent nearly £8000 upgrading the whole system. At certain times of the evening it does slow down when guests come back and log onto Sky mobile or iPlayer but this is down to pure volume and is usually short lived. Being a very old building, certain areas do have better signal strength than others and I have asked reception to monitor feedback for any particular blind spots.

Kind regards
Dave Norton, General Manager
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Great food and great atmosphere, staff are nice and service is good. Hall & Woodhouse have a good set up. Will go back again…. The bar at weekends has a great feel and the centre location to Blandford is convinent.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Spain
Reviewed 25 February 2014

The title probably makes me sound like a snob but I had no idea the rooms would be so charming! We had to stay in a twin as no doubles were left and at first I didn't want to stay there. The staff did offer to move us once a double became available but we decided not to. Our room was very big and very old fashioned but in a traditional way rather than somewhere which had not been tended to. The service from the staff, from the cleaner to the receptionists was wonderful as was the breakfast. They had no gluten free bread though which may be something to either offer in the future or to ask guests on arrival of any food intolerances so they can purchase alternative items as I do understand food may go to waste if not an everyday requirement. But this was just a small point, I can live without toast on my breakfast.

The heating was cranked too high which is a fashion of all English hotels I find and so we switched that off and opened the window. The windows were ill fitting sash which while absolutely lovely to look at and should be retained, need some tweaking as they let in an awful lot of noise.

We did eat in the bar one night and the food was delicious. The drinks are quite outrageously expensive but again, this is another hotel trait. Free wi fi was available which was a bonus.

I did think the hotel was quite expensive but in comparison with the area, is probably cheaper than some of the others and you are in the centre of town, however small that is! But we would stay again without hesitation. I´d probably just take my own bread :o)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Summer Lodge
Summer Lodge
#1 of 2 in Evershot
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!