All reviewsfresh honeycomblocal breweryhall and woodhouselovely hotelwedding partysunday roastpoached eggsstayed one nightbiscuitsbed was very comfortablebreakfast was deliciousfamily roomcar parktea and coffeethe pubfull englishtown centre
Reviewed 17 September 2017

I usually don't expect too much when I order a vegetarian meal in a conventional restaurant and I definitely have low expectations from vegetarian offerings at a pub. But, wow, was I ever blown away by the Sunday Roast dinner (vegetarian version) at the Crown Hotel.

Of course they serve the usual Sunday Roast dinner featuring whatever meat is in season, but they also offer the same meal with a parsnip-nut roast in place of the meat and a tomato sauce in place of the beef drippings.

Vegetarians usually have to settle for a stir fry or some pasta or another salad, but this was a hearty and delicious Sunday dinner. Along with the parsnip-nut roast and tomato sauce, there were roasted new potatoes, broccoli, green beans, leeks, kale, cooked red cabbage and Yorkshire pudding. Everything was delicious, perfectly cooked and well-seasoned. The vegetables were wonderfully al dente, the nut roast was amazing and the Yorkshire pudding light and flaky with a good chewy texture.

With a large glass of the house red wine, this meal was well worth the 20pounds.

In the time I've been in the area, I've been to the Crown a couple of times and had lighter meals and snacks and everything has been really good.

It was nice enough to eat outdoors on the large patio, but the ambience inside is also lovely with various rooms and snugs to enjoy a meal in small or large groups. It's pub, but unlike other pubs in the area, you aren't smacked in the face with that stale beer smell when you walk in the door.

If you're in Dorset, be sure to stop in.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Hall W, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor and thanks for your great feedback. I am so pleased you had a nice time and I look forward to sharing your review with the team. We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Lunched here today with friends. Food was very good, my salmon was excellent and my friends both had the ratatouille which they said was very nice. Marion ,our waitress, was very attentive and we received very good service throughout the meal. I would recommend the Crown for a good lunch.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank jill190872
Hall W, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

Superb family room with large master room, separate but attached children's room with twin beds and shared bathroom. All beds extremely comfortable. Rooms well appointed with thoughtful touches. Very comfortable. Hotel was pleasingly characterful and a refreshing change from chain-style hotels. Staff very friendly and welcoming. Food excellent. We stayed just as a stop over on our way home from a holiday elsewhere, but will definitely be back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Hall W, Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased we delivered great hospitality and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

this hotel is right inthe heart of Blanford and has a great open garden area for summer evenings. Dined in on first night and the meal and service was very good. Bar prices were average for the area.
Our room was excellent albeit round the back above the kitchens, the bed was great and we had a very comfortable couple of nights.
The only problem was the cooked breakfast, first morning it was barely warm but as we needed to be out quickly it wasn't sent back, also meagre portions. Won't get fat on it. The next morning after mentioning how cold it was to the waiter, mine arrived extremely hot, suspect that it had a trip to the microwave as the poached eggs were rubberised.
I hope the breakfast issues were not common and I would visit again.

Room Tip: rear is quieter
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

We really appreciate your feedback; thank you for taking the trouble to post your review. We have taken your comments on board and do hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

The warming welcome from reception when I parked my car at 8am for a reservation that evening highlighted a great hotel. When I checked in later that day.and went to my room, they had supplied a large fan as they could tell the unusually warm weather was going to impact sleeping, as they would not be allowed air con in this period property.
Evening meal was super and attentive serving staff in the bar. Still trying to understand why the barman was telling me about a good Nepalise restaurant as I was ordering my food!! Perhaps he wanted a quiet night?
Excellent shower (no bath) with good lighting and facilities.
Good breakfast selection. Worth staying a night just to see a town which looks like a Dickensian postcard

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed visiting us. We hope you can visit again soon.