Open today: 10:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
My Sons Regiment.

My Son served in the Royal Signals during the 1st Gulf War and also in Bosnia. So I found this... read more

Reviewed 14 September 2018
John G
Tibshelf, United Kingdom
Really interesting Museum

After passing through the security checks (passport or driving license with photo ) to enter it is... read more

Reviewed 13 September 2018
Rover201457
swindon

All reviews photo id military base interactive displays army camp all ages well worth a visit car pass on display driving licence many years few hours fascinating insight gift aid driving simulator morse code early days armed forces
Reviewed 29 October 2017

A fascinating museum with plenty of exhibits telling the story of signals in the British armed forces through to modern day, including the Special Operations Executive (SOE) in WWII. There are plenty of hands on exhibits to try, which really helps illustrate and explain how things work. A fine collection of medals is on display demonstrating the gallantry of members of the Royal Signals regiment over the years.

Refreshments are available in the museum at the NAAFI, which does really nice bacon rolls and tea (a NAAFI Special) at a good price. There are plenty of other menu options available, e.g. baked potatoes and sandwiches.

One thing it missed for me were Cold War radio equipment from the 1980's (Clansman); we have visited previously and these seem to have disappeared and been replaced by newer displays. I would have asked a museum guide but there did not appear to be anyone around to ask.

Overall a very good museum with a fine collection of military radios, telephones and signalling equipment.

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Given that signals have always been at the cutting edge of the military, it was a pleasure to spend two hours in this excellent museum, tracing the progression of the Regiment, from flag signalling stations and heliographs, through the first use of wireless telegraphy in the Crimean campaign; telephones in the Boer War, through to the ultra-sophisticated secure wi-fi and telephony employed in Afghanistan and to date.

Both Lt. A A Milne, of Winnie the Pooh fame, and 2nd Lt. J R R Tolkien, were Signals officers in WW1. Both officers served in the Somme campaign of 1917, that subsequently influenced their writing. Milne's literary talents resulted in his transfer to Military Intelligence Branch MI7b – Propaganda.

There is plenty to digest and enjoy, with some excellent interactive exhibits and plenty for young people to enjoy and learn. Worth a break for a mug of NAAFI coffee and a snack in the cafeteria, plus there is an excellent shop. Overall, an excellent experience.

1  Thank Q5642JBchrisw
Reviewed 7 October 2017 via mobile

My partner & I visited today as both his dad & grandad were in the Royal Signals. We found the guys there so very helpful; in fact they offered to photocopy my partners' grandfather's regimental records for us. A fantastic museum & really, helpful staff. Dave, the curator was really great; a mine of information.

Reviewed 7 October 2017

A most interesting day on a working army base (don't forget your photo ID). Using an interactive display I managed to track down a colleague I worked with in a Croydon school. Some of the displays were not working (no headphones!) but the motorbike displays were really good. Excellent and well priced cafe in the museum.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

As an "ex-Bleep",I have always had an interest in visiting "our museum" and personally I was not disappointed,it bought back many happy memories of my time in the Corps(1963-1987),especially the K9 with D11/R234 mounted(1967-1969,Lippstadt,BAOR) and 1969-1972,dismounted at HQ NI,Lisburn( TX and RX separated by half a mile)Other Radios that bought back memories were the C11 and C42,The visit took about two and a half hours,I wonder if the general public would remain interested for so long?I was quite surprised,that we know the Museum is in a working camp but why are serving soldiers using the Museum canteen and walking through the exhibit area to get to their "areas"?I really do feel that the Museum should be for visitors and that the rest of the camp should be for the serving soldiers,I was not comfortable having to step aside as busy military personnel hastened by.This is a good museum for current/ex Royal Signals members but civilians may not wish to spend more than a couple of hours here,maximum

Date of experience: September 2017