“country pub dining with flavour”
Review of The Museum Inn

The Museum Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Farnham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2013

The food is great and you can have either just a drink and some nibbles or a full meal, at any time of day almost ! There are lots of comfortable chairs, settles and rooms to choose from and there are papers on hand to read. It has a good menu choice with tasty locally sourced food and the service is good.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 July 2013

If you have to count pennies don't come here BUT we found the incredibly kind and helpful service and the good food and the little touches MOST appreciated, enjoyable and welcoming. A very professional yet personal service is on offer here. Locals in the bar area can be very noisy so if you want a bit more peace I would head off to a side room !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Had heard so much praise by friends who had visited it in the past, although this was some time ago and have now learned it has changed hands since they last were there. We (4) visited full of anticipation, but sadly it did not attain the level that we were expecting. One of the waiting staff gave the impression that they would rather have been somewhere else. The food was just pub grub, albeit acceptable for pub food I guess. However, the Sirloin at £24.50 plus another £2.00 if you wanted a small jug of sauce with it, sadly did not meet with the description on the menu. The Guinness (I had just the one) was not kept well and again have tasted far better. However, the bottle of house red that two of us had with our meal was very good and they must be complemented for that. As I didn't have my reading glasses with me, I may well have missed the "Service Charge Included" on the menu. I hate that, having to pay for the meal to be brought to the table, because that would be the only service they provided. I was charged a little under £20 for that!! The dining furniture to say the least, is a bit Grandmothers kitchen table and you might have to try a couple of chairs to find one that feels mildly comfortable. Considering my guests and I had traveled some distance, I felt there were far better places I could have taken them for dinner. Just another pub pretending to be a restaurant resulting in Expensive Pub Food.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter R
Reviewed 27 June 2013

June 2013 - eating not staying; friendly staff.

We went to the Museum recently, having not been there for ages. It used to be excellent when Mark Treasure (the chef) was there but it sadly has gone down hill considerably since the new owners. The interior decor has been cheaply refurbished and has detracted from the feel a country gastro-pub should have. Having been regulars when the original management ran it, we can both say that it would be buzzing most nights because the locals loved it.

The service was slow, the pub was relatively quiet with perhaps 15 people there at most. We ordered the calves liver with spring onion mash each and extra chips. It arrived after a long wait and was a rich but small portion for a main course. The liver was cooked well but lacked flavour, and the crispy bacon was cut too thick and overcooked. The mash was good with spring onions cut and mixed in with it. The gravy was too thin and flavourless. For £15.95 each for the mains, the food was extremely disappointing. The extra chips we ordered were undercooked, and the ones at the base of the pot were soggy which says a lot considering they were french fries which are easy to cook properly.

To be fair to The Museum Inn I'm sure it does have some lovely rooms to stay in though, and with a bit more refinement and quicker service it would be back on my list of top pubs in the area to visit for food.

If I was going to stay in the area, I would prefer the King John - if you go there you will catch a glimpse of what the Museum used to be like, certainly from the foodie angle anyway. In my opinion it has overtaken the Museum and we have been regulars there for a while anyway because it is closer to us. Have a few pints at the Museum - the Sixpenny Handley Best brew is great. Farnham is a quaint village to walk around too.

I'm an amateur foodie - I hope you find this review helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AWiltsFoodie
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Have not been to The Museum for some time but as it was such a beautiful day a friend and I decided to drive into the country and enjoy all the wonderful colours of late Spring early summer and a wonderful lunch at this Inn. We were not disappointed. There was a good feeling of not being rushed in any way and enjoyed a long and most enjoyable lunch with good and friendly service. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cmjm10
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Travelling through we were recommended to stop for its great food!!! Perhaps the chef was on holiday, I've eaten far better. There seems to be air of prestige about the place which reflects the price but not the substance, side orders were cold.... The staff were friendly and very accommodating, as a seasoned gastropub proficianado but this is one to chalk down to experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This a very comfortable, well run hotel and pub with excellent food and service. The staff are very welcoming and friendly. I is very family friendly - I stayed here with my grand children and nothing seemed to be too much trouble

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Been to The Museum Inn? Share your experiences!