“An excellent hotel”

and 1 more site!
The Museum Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Farnham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2014

For those who want to be away from road noise and have a lovely quiet night in a very friendly pub with a cracking restaurant and a decent pint ...... this is the one for you.
Situated in a picturesque little village where every house seems to have a thatched roof and almost perfect gardens, the Inn is next to a quaint historic little church, open to the public if you wish for some quiet time.
The Inn reception staff were welcoming and friendly, the room (stayed in room called the stables) was clean, spacious with one of the most comfortable beds I have experienced in my life and a decent bathroom. The car park is a good size.
The food, and I can only speak for the breakfast was well cooked and presented, tasty and hot.
I had the best nights sleep ever in a hotel, which is rare, deathly quiet + comfort = serious sleep.

I loved it, and if back on business I am staying here. Nothing else interests me.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 May 2014

On a recent visit we were welcomed by the host/manager as we went in, were seated and offered drinks straight away.

Happy, helpful staff, especially the Irish girl on the bar helping with assisting my husband to choose a local ale - Sixpenny Best, really hit the spot he said!!!!

Ordered the Dorset Snails and the Wookey cheddar souffle both of which were presented beautifully and were really yummy. This we followed with Lamb Rump and Lemon Sole, which was cooked beautifully and tasted lovely, I could recommend both. The waitress was able to suggest a red wine to complement the Lamb, a glass of the Claret and a lovely Marlborough Sauvignon to go with my fish. I was advised that the Sauvignon was a good wine to suit the Dover Sole and that the Chardonnay might be too overpowering for the fish. Obviously they are well trained in their wines to assist their customers depending on which foods are chosen.

We shared a dessert - the Chocolate and Guinness Torte, and asked to have the homemade clotted ice cream with it, rather than the Toffee, and this wasn't any problem. We really felt this all evening that nothing was too much trouble at all, for the staff.

The manager and the staff made us feel very welcome, and I saw the manager all evening going round and talking to all the tables, checking everything was all OK, and checked on us to ensure we were having an enjoyable evening and being looked after. We felt the service was personal and caring. They all waved us off as we left with full smiles on our faces and full tummies to match!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Turned up for our pre-booked lunch, only to find they had given our table to some other guests. Then decided to put us on a table for 6 people when there were 8 of us, which was also 20 minutes late. Awful staff who didn't have a clue what they were doing, incredibly insincere and didn't once apologise for their errors or offer any form excuse or acceptance of liability. Stay away from this pathetic excuse of a pub at all costs. 17th century pub, 17th century service. Also well over-priced for what you get.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank buckie1978
Fiona M, Manager at The Museum Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Sir/Madam

Firstly I would like to personally apologise for the experience you had with us recently. I am truly sorry to hear that you had an unenjoyable time with us at The Museum Inn and I am deeply upset that you found our staff to be insincere and unapologetic for any mistakes they may have made.

This is certainly not the professional and compassionate dinning experience and service we promote or the standard we set here at The Museum. I would really like to discuss your experience in greater detail so I am able to address the problems sufficiently. If you are able to contact me personally at enquiries@museuminn.co.uk I would really appreciate your time.

I always promote any feedback criticism or otherwise as it is the only way we grow and progress as a business. I hope that I may hear from you soon.

Kindest Regards,
Gemma Pidsley

(Response posted by Fiona M, Marketing manager on behalf of Gemma Pidsley)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have eaten happily here many times and it has a deservedly good reputation. Today I checked in with my disabled mother at 2.05 clearly stating that I had a booking for a 2.15 table. We were offered drinks but no table. We took a vacant unlaid table and waited. It would have made sense to give us menus. At 2.25 we were asked by a waitress to move as the table at which we were sitting was booked. I stated that we had a table booked under the name Matthews and had made that clear on arrival. She returned to ask if I had booked under the name Lloyd. I had not. She disappeared. At 2.40 she produced menus with no further explanation. She floated by leaving a jug of water but no glasses. I fetched some from a nearby laid and unoccupied table. The food came promptly and, as ever at the Museum, was excellent. Superb rare roast beef, excellent gammon ham and very good vegetables.The bill at £51 was what I would expect for two main courses with 3 glasses of wine. However, I couldn't check as I was given a debit card receipt but no itemised bill. I assumed that the 10% service charge promised on the menu had been added and left no tip. The money taken we left with no particular invitation to return or even a 'goodbye'. So, in retrospect, the expected high standard of food but the service, though polite and friendly at times,was inconsistent and slapdash. At these prices we pay for both food and service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had lunch here with our family and were very disappointed. Whilst the inn/pub is in an idyllic setting and nicely presented our lunch, whilst expensive, was poor. The quality of the food was bad as was the presentation. My child's brownie was stale and needed a knife to cut into it. Prices were steep and we were expecting a gastro pub experience which we did not get.
The staff however were very friendly. It was a real shame that our food was so disappointing (and we are not even foodies) as this has the potential to be great. Come for a drink, not lunch!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Went for meal day before Good Friday. Staff all very friendly and welcoming. Food expensive but very nice.

Food took long time to arrive but they did not appear busy

Did not stay overnight so rooms not reviewed

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This was a business trip and the guys at the museum inn were great...rooms were very clean and pleasant.
Food was excellent , with some lovely local elements ...local asparagus ...dorset apple cake with the cheese...delicious!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RuthT340
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
The Grove Arms
#1 of 1 in Tollard Royal
Duchess of Cornwall Inn
Duchess of Cornwall Inn
#1 of 1 in Poundbury

Been to The Museum Inn? Share your experiences!