“Beautiful location, great food - overpriced and odd service”
Review of The Museum Inn

and 1 more site!
The Museum Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Farnham B&B and Inns
“Beautiful location, great food - overpriced and odd service”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Museum Inn is in a lovely location, in an idyllic Dorset thatched village and very quiet. My room (The General) was spectacular with a very comfortable bed and two balconies. The pub attached was always filled with happy regulars and well-to-do diners and all the meals I ate there were very tasty.

My gripes would be the prices. £16+ for mussels and chips is pretty steep for a country pub (or for a London pub for that matter). And I quailed at the prospect of spending £28 for an 8oz steak, however nice a cut of meat - without sides which came at extra cost. All my colleagues ate and were mostly satisfied with the quality but balked at the prices. (Apparently the Chicken Kiev was a bit bland and the room above the bar was very noisy until closing time).

The other little oddities are that there is no hot breakfast before 8am which seems odd in a b&b style hotel. And also that the staff seem to really struggle sorting out bills. Every evening seemed to be a new challenge.

Otherwise the staff were really pleasant and charming. It's not a pretentious place at all and everyone was very friendly.

There is no phone reception at all in Farnham - which is fine but it's something to note if you're there on business as we were.

Room Tip: DOn't get the room above the bar. The General is very luxurious.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alistair_on_the _Road
Museum2014, Manager at The Museum Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, all your comments have been noted and appreciated.
We apologise that you felt our prices were inflated, this is because we pride ourselves on using only but the best local fresh produce and everything is home made. Although some dishes are perhaps on the higher end of the scale we have tried to balance the menu to ensure there are Main dishes available from as little as £9.95. It really does depend on the individual dish.

As we are a Pub with rooms we have a policy of asking our guests if they would like breakfast earlier than 8am and this can certainly be arranged. As this was a group booking and we were informed that on most days you would all need to leave very early this was not implemented. We do apologise though.

Regarding the mix up on the bills, this was totally out of our control as there was an internal error going on with the till systems which made it very difficult for the team during your stay.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and we promise a Full English Breakfast will be our first priority for you!

Kind Regards

All the team at The Museum Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having stayed at the Museum inn on a number of occasions both before it was bought out and now afterwards, I think I am on fare and mutual ground to be able to comment. And the comments arnt good if I may add.

Any sense of "ambiance" the place used to have has long gone, and so have the friendly pleasant staff. No wonder it was so quiet in the bar area the last two times I have visit.

Service dry and cold, food average (back to basics), and the venue now lacks its character and charm in my opinion. What a shame

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kyle J
Museum2014, Manager at The Museum Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we apologise your stay was a disappointment.
We notice that you stayed in March 2014 when the Pub was faced with the unfortunate situation of having no Manager on site due to a temporary transition period.
Since June 2014 we are delighted to announce new Management coupled with friendly and helpful staff and a wonderful new menu crated by our new team of Chefs.
We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back where rest assured, you will not be faced with dry and cold service but a great British Pub filled with great atmosphere, great food and service.
Kind Regards
The team at The Museum
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We booked last minute and had the Boot Room. Accommodation was clean and comfortable but for £130 a night I just don't think it was worth it. £80-90 would have been reasonable. Plus the noise from the pub comes up into the rooms so you can't sleep until all the guests in the pub have gone. Breakfast was great and we had dinner in the pub which was lovely. But the rooms just aren't worth the money.

Museum2014, Manager at The Museum Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
Firstly, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed dinner and breakfast and thank you also for your valued comments regarding the bedrooms. Being a Pub with rooms can be difficult at times, especially with noise travelling from the Pub but we do try and respect our guests by calling last orders at 11pm.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and perhaps one of our lovely Stable rooms which are priced from £90 and located in the unique Stable block- away from the Hustle & Bustle of the Pub.
Regards from all the team at The Museum
Suffolk
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The room was very comfortable and well appointed, The evening meal was fine however coffee was ordered but didn't arrive. The real let down was our breakfast experience. A table was laid at the end of the bar which had just been mopped with strong disinfectant and black rubbish bags and the bottle bin were in full view. The bar was open to a corridor where a shooting party were checking out and they seemed to have priority service. Our breakfast was disappointing with cereal options of either broken weetabix or cornflakes. There was no fruit available. I had to poke my head into the kitchen in order to ask for some toast. The staff seemed ready to apologise but the gesture appeared to lack sincerity.

1 Thank fitzug
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

For those who want to be away from road noise and have a lovely quiet night in a very friendly pub with a cracking restaurant and a decent pint ...... this is the one for you.
Situated in a picturesque little village where every house seems to have a thatched roof and almost perfect gardens, the Inn is next to a quaint historic little church, open to the public if you wish for some quiet time.
The Inn reception staff were welcoming and friendly, the room (stayed in room called the stables) was clean, spacious with one of the most comfortable beds I have experienced in my life and a decent bathroom. The car park is a good size.
The food, and I can only speak for the breakfast was well cooked and presented, tasty and hot.
I had the best nights sleep ever in a hotel, which is rare, deathly quiet + comfort = serious sleep.

I loved it, and if back on business I am staying here. Nothing else interests me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 21 May 2014

On a recent visit we were welcomed by the host/manager as we went in, were seated and offered drinks straight away.

Happy, helpful staff, especially the Irish girl on the bar helping with assisting my husband to choose a local ale - Sixpenny Best, really hit the spot he said!!!!

Ordered the Dorset Snails and the Wookey cheddar souffle both of which were presented beautifully and were really yummy. This we followed with Lamb Rump and Lemon Sole, which was cooked beautifully and tasted lovely, I could recommend both. The waitress was able to suggest a red wine to complement the Lamb, a glass of the Claret and a lovely Marlborough Sauvignon to go with my fish. I was advised that the Sauvignon was a good wine to suit the Dover Sole and that the Chardonnay might be too overpowering for the fish. Obviously they are well trained in their wines to assist their customers depending on which foods are chosen.

We shared a dessert - the Chocolate and Guinness Torte, and asked to have the homemade clotted ice cream with it, rather than the Toffee, and this wasn't any problem. We really felt this all evening that nothing was too much trouble at all, for the staff.

The manager and the staff made us feel very welcome, and I saw the manager all evening going round and talking to all the tables, checking everything was all OK, and checked on us to ensure we were having an enjoyable evening and being looked after. We felt the service was personal and caring. They all waved us off as we left with full smiles on our faces and full tummies to match!

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Turned up for our pre-booked lunch, only to find they had given our table to some other guests. Then decided to put us on a table for 6 people when there were 8 of us, which was also 20 minutes late. Awful staff who didn't have a clue what they were doing, incredibly insincere and didn't once apologise for their errors or offer any form excuse or acceptance of liability. Stay away from this pathetic excuse of a pub at all costs. 17th century pub, 17th century service. Also well over-priced for what you get.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank buckie1978
Fiona M, Manager at The Museum Inn, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

Firstly I would like to personally apologise for the experience you had with us recently. I am truly sorry to hear that you had an unenjoyable time with us at The Museum Inn and I am deeply upset that you found our staff to be insincere and unapologetic for any mistakes they may have made.

This is certainly not the professional and compassionate dinning experience and service we promote or the standard we set here at The Museum. I would really like to discuss your experience in greater detail so I am able to address the problems sufficiently. If you are able to contact me personally at enquiries@museuminn.co.uk I would really appreciate your time.

I always promote any feedback criticism or otherwise as it is the only way we grow and progress as a business. I hope that I may hear from you soon.

Kindest Regards,
Gemma Pidsley

(Response posted by Fiona M, Marketing manager on behalf of Gemma Pidsley)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Farnham
The Langton Arms
#1 of 1 in Tollard Royal
Cashmoor Inn
Cashmoor Inn
#2 of 3 in Sixpenny Handley

Been to The Museum Inn? Share your experiences!