The Museum Inn
The Langton Arms(Tarrant Monkton)
US$168
US$163
Travelocity
US$140
US$135
Travelocity
US$129
US$126
The Crown Hotel(Blandford Forum)
US$147
The Grosvenor Arms(Shaftesbury)
US$161
The Saxon Inn(Child Okeford)
US$112
TripAdvisor
The Fiddleford Inn(Sturminster Newton)
US$126
US$168
  • Restaurant
US$123
US$266
All reviewsthe pubsticky toffee puddingstable roompork bellyresidents loungelovely feelstable blockmain buildingpoached eggsnice roomlarge bathroomfollowing morningfull englishlovely locationstayed here for one nightcar parkfantastic stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Museum Inn is in a lovely location, in an idyllic Dorset thatched village and very quiet. My room (The General) was spectacular with a very comfortable bed and two balconies. The pub attached was always filled with happy regulars and well-to-do diners and all the meals I ate there were very tasty.

My gripes would be the prices. £16+ for mussels and chips is pretty steep for a country pub (or for a London pub for that matter). And I quailed at the prospect of spending £28 for an 8oz steak, however nice a cut of meat - without sides which came at extra cost. All my colleagues ate and were mostly satisfied with the quality but balked at the prices. (Apparently the Chicken Kiev was a bit bland and the room above the bar was very noisy until closing time).

The other little oddities are that there is no hot breakfast before 8am which seems odd in a b&b style hotel. And also that the staff seem to really struggle sorting out bills. Every evening seemed to be a new challenge.

Otherwise the staff were really pleasant and charming. It's not a pretentious place at all and everyone was very friendly.

There is no phone reception at all in Farnham - which is fine but it's something to note if you're there on business as we were.

Room Tip: DOn't get the room above the bar. The General is very luxurious.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alistair_on_the _Road
Museum2014, Manager at The Museum Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, all your comments have been noted and appreciated.
We apologise that you felt our prices were inflated, this is because we pride ourselves on using only but the best local fresh produce and everything is home made. Although some dishes are perhaps on the higher end of the scale we have tried to balance the menu to ensure there are Main dishes available from as little as £9.95. It really does depend on the individual dish.

As we are a Pub with rooms we have a policy of asking our guests if they would like breakfast earlier than 8am and this can certainly be arranged. As this was a group booking and we were informed that on most days you would all need to leave very early this was not implemented. We do apologise though.

Regarding the mix up on the bills, this was totally out of our control as there was an internal error going on with the till systems which made it very difficult for the team during your stay.

We do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back and we promise a Full English Breakfast will be our first priority for you!

Kind Regards

All the team at The Museum Inn

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having stayed at the Museum inn on a number of occasions both before it was bought out and now afterwards, I think I am on fare and mutual ground to be able to comment. And the comments arnt good if I may add.

Any sense of "ambiance" the place used to have has long gone, and so have the friendly pleasant staff. No wonder it was so quiet in the bar area the last two times I have visit.

Service dry and cold, food average (back to basics), and the venue now lacks its character and charm in my opinion. What a shame

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kyle J

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we apologise your stay was a disappointment.
We notice that you stayed in March 2014 when the Pub was faced with the unfortunate situation of having no Manager on site due to a temporary transition period.
Since June 2014 we are delighted to announce new Management coupled with friendly and helpful staff and a wonderful new menu crated by our new team of Chefs.
We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back where rest assured, you will not be faced with dry and cold service but a great British Pub filled with great atmosphere, great food and service.
Kind Regards
The team at The Museum

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We booked last minute and had the Boot Room. Accommodation was clean and comfortable but for £130 a night I just don't think it was worth it. £80-90 would have been reasonable. Plus the noise from the pub comes up into the rooms so you can't sleep until all the guests in the pub have gone. Breakfast was great and we had dinner in the pub which was lovely. But the rooms just aren't worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
Firstly, we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed dinner and breakfast and thank you also for your valued comments regarding the bedrooms. Being a Pub with rooms can be difficult at times, especially with noise travelling from the Pub but we do try and respect our guests by calling last orders at 11pm.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and perhaps one of our lovely Stable rooms which are priced from £90 and located in the unique Stable block- away from the Hustle & Bustle of the Pub.
Regards from all the team at The Museum

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The room was very comfortable and well appointed, The evening meal was fine however coffee was ordered but didn't arrive. The real let down was our breakfast experience. A table was laid at the end of the bar which had just been mopped with strong disinfectant and black rubbish bags and the bottle bin were in full view. The bar was open to a corridor where a shooting party were checking out and they seemed to have priority service. Our breakfast was disappointing with cereal options of either broken weetabix or cornflakes. There was no fruit available. I had to poke my head into the kitchen in order to ask for some toast. The staff seemed ready to apologise but the gesture appeared to lack sincerity.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fitzug
Reviewed 22 May 2014

For those who want to be away from road noise and have a lovely quiet night in a very friendly pub with a cracking restaurant and a decent pint ...... this is the one for you.
Situated in a picturesque little village where every house seems to have a thatched roof and almost perfect gardens, the Inn is next to a quaint historic little church, open to the public if you wish for some quiet time.
The Inn reception staff were welcoming and friendly, the room (stayed in room called the stables) was clean, spacious with one of the most comfortable beds I have experienced in my life and a decent bathroom. The car park is a good size.
The food, and I can only speak for the breakfast was well cooked and presented, tasty and hot.
I had the best nights sleep ever in a hotel, which is rare, deathly quiet + comfort = serious sleep.

I loved it, and if back on business I am staying here. Nothing else interests me.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business