“Lovely hotel in a lovely town”
Review of The Saffron Hotel

The Saffron Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Saffron Walden
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed with my husband for our anniversary, we stayed for 2 nights and we were delightfully surprised with our stay after seeing some of the other reviews of this hotel. It was a beautiful 16th century building that kept the charm and style of the town while offering a modern service that we couldn't have asked more for. The staff were very friendly and made our stay wonderful, we had a delicious meal in the restaurant on our anniversary night and ventured into town for the second night. We stayed in the Ashdon suite, which is on the second floor, it was a large room with a great bathroom and had everything we needed. There were some very tasty biscuits in the room that we enjoyed in the morning before coming down for breakfast where we had a choice of hot food as well as a full continental buffet. Service through out was excellent and we shall definitely be returning and will recommend to all our friends.

Thank you Saffron hotel for a lovely anniversary!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Samantha W
There are newer reviews for The Saffron Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2013

This hotel is one of the last things along the main street, but it's still close to all the shopping/dining (a 2 minute walk downhill).

The room we had was a fine size, but was pretty outdated and didn't seem super clean (it was musty/dusty and worn in). The floors were squeaky and the walls were thin, so we could hear every guest walk up the stairs and through the hallway. Not to mention the room faced the street and was EXTREMELY loud, especially in the morning when the trash was getting taken out and there is very heavy traffic.

The bathroom was sooo small. There is no shelf or place near the sink to set any toiletries. The shower was literally a 2x2 foot square, with no shelves. So to shower you have to set everything on the floor of the shower where it gets soaked and floats around (the shower drained so slowly that within a minute or two you were ankle deep in water). There is no place in the shower where you aren't getting sprayed by water, which made it hard to soap up and impossible to shave legs. Just overall a very unpleasant showering experience.

The room got hot/stuffy but all we could do was crack the window and pray for a breeze (no A/C or fan).

Wasn't impressed by the front desk staff. They asked what newspaper we wanted, then when we checked out we were charged for the newspaper (no one mentioned we'd be charged, and NO other hotel on our 10-day trip charged for a morning paper). Other hotels showed us to our room but not this staff.

Breakfast wasn't included but that was fine because the restaurant/bar looked outdated/old, dark, and deserted. Better off walking into the market area for breakfast or down to the Cross Keys hotel for dinner/drinks.

The wi-fi did work in the rooms so that was a plus.

We chose the Saffron Hotel based on price, but if I could do things over I'd spend the extra to stay at the Cross Keys down the block.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the stairs because our room by the stairs was so noisy. Also, ask for a room...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank psiloveya
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I stayed in the Saffron Hotel as part of a business trip - it was a Wednesday night, the town was quiet and their were few guests. As a consequence my stay was very good and I couldn't fault either the service of the staff or the general ambience of the place. However, my gut feeling is that Saffron Walden is almost a Jekyl & Hyde when it comes to the weekend: come Friday and Saturday and the town itself plays hosts to the younger elements coming in from the outlying villages and the Saffron Hotel itself is used as a venue for parties. I have sympathy for the staff in situations where one guest is trying to get a good night's sleep while the inebriated are intent on staying up until the early hours.

The hotel itself is old and the décor and state of repair have to be factored in - expecting slick, purpose built for the 21st century traveller wet rooms, big screen TVs and air con is just silly. What you do get is a traditional hotel with a layout, decoration and furniture to match the surroundings. If your preference is character over modernity this is the place for you.

Location is excellent for the town centre. Parking at the hotel is very limited but there are usable parking spots for overnights outside the Church 50 yards away.

In summary, I liked this hotel and would stay there again because I had a good experience - but it was mid-week

Room Tip: Others have commented on the rooms at the front but that is only an issue at weekends. Parking is pr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank hanhamvillager
Reviewed 9 June 2013

It has been a while since I visited The Saffron Hotel as my last visit was a disaster and I visited only because my group had arranged their dinner there. The food was lovely, it was tasty and hot. There was plenty of it and the vegetables were replenished very quickly. The staff were pleasant and helpful. I did like the fact they left pots of coffee on the table at the end of the meal so one could help themselves and there was more if required. Much better than the standard one cup of coffee.

Room Tip: I did not sleep here only ate
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank TomsGrandma
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Great location in centrally located Saffron Walden. Rooms at front of building do get impacted by road noise but the room I stayed in was spacious and bed comfortable BUT bathroom urrrrrrrrrrr. Food was well presented but service is always stretched due to not having enough staff. Eg night we were staying had 2 people for the whole place (checking in, bar and waiting in restaurant ) and parking is limited.

Room Tip: Anything at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

This hotel has poor staff in the day and no staff at night, so when a large group of guests held a party playing loud dance music and climbing onto the fire escapes to talk and smoke until 03:30 there was nothing to be done. In the morning the staff didn't apologise they simply told us that "we used to have a night porter but he didn't like working nights". The cross keys down the road is much better.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Just popped in for a beer and was seduced by the food offer of 2 dishes for a tenner. As it happens I didn't avail myself of this offer but chose the chicken caeser salad from the a la carte menu. This was brought to the table reasonably quickly and had plenty of succulent chicken in it together with the more normal components of the dish. I thoroughly enjoyed it and ended up leaving quite full after eating what I thought would be more of a snack! I will be returning to sample other dishes from their menu.

Room Tip: Didn't stay so cannot comment - the hotel is in a central location though.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Duxford Lodge
Duxford Lodge
#1 of 1 in Duxford
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge Duxford M11 Jct 10

Been to The Saffron Hotel? Share your experiences!