“Recommend ”
Review of The Fighting Cocks

The Fighting Cocks
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fighting Cocks is not available through our online partner for your requested time.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$12 - US$22
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

Booked here with friends after a glowing recommendation.
Fabulous food that is perfectly cooked and presented. I nearly always choose ribs if on a menu ,but I've never had any as good as the ones here. They must be slowly cooked for hours if you can just pull the bones out. Chunky chips were huge and coleslaw perfect and this was just my meal.
Nice to see the owner come out and introduce himself as well,always a nice touch.
Well worth a visit and great value. Give it a go.

Reviewed 17 October 2018

We visited The Fighting Cocks for lunch last Sunday with friends, picking it as a good half-way house between ourselves in Berkshire and our friends in Norfolk. I'm gutted that we don't live nearer as we'd love to be regular visitors. Absolutely delicious food and a warm and friendly atmosphere from the family owners, not rushing us out of our seats when we'd finished. Where to start with the food? - homemade steak pudding was delicious and honeycomb cheesecake with homemade honeycomb ice cream. Everyone else said their lunch was lovely too. Next time we meet up we'll definitely return. Thanks to all, especially the chef!

Reviewed 13 October 2018

We popped into the Fighting Cocks at lunchtime today and were so glad we did. As soon as we walked through the door we were made to feel very welcome. We had a very tasty lunch and then shared a honeycomb cheesecake which we were informed was homemade. Wow the cheesecake was so yummy and delicious - the best we have ever tasted. The landlord Paul was very friendly, warm and welcoming but we must make a special mention to Maria who served us. She was superb. We will definitely be returning ......for more yummy cheesecake.

Reviewed 12 October 2018

This unpretentious pub serves delicious high quality food for a reasonable price. Everything tastes fresh, not like ready meals that other places serve. Their chef really knows how to cook! I love the big Sunday roasts and the beef is particularly good. Service here is always pleasant and attentive. I can’t wait to come back again!

1  Thank Bbear5678
Reviewed 12 October 2018

The pub name isn't that unusual but the village it stands in is. Wendens Ambo, that's a name to remember and the food at the Fighting Cocks is also worth remembering. It's good English cuisine with most of the items on the menu home made. The staff are efficient and friendly. On my first visit for dinner I sent my steak back because I like mine just this side of mooing and for me it was over cooked. There was no fuss, no "evil eyes" from the waitress just an apology and a perfectly cooked steak.

Since that visit we've been in for lunch and dinners and have been delighted with our meals and the service. There are traditional pumps for real beer as well as a pleasing wine list. Parking isn't a problem as there is ample space for cars and if you like to sit outside then that is catered for as well.

This isn't a gastro pub or a strangely named, pricey wine bar. The interior is traditional, wood and metal, nothing fancy just good old pub chairs and tables. It is outside the village and you will have to take the car or a taxi but believe me it's worth it.

1  Thank Mike N