“fantastic sunday roast”

and 1 more site!
The Tower Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Harwich
Reviewed 13 May 2014

we ate here with family (who live locally), after the Tour de tending cycle ride.
whilst we had pre-booked and were offered drinks in the bar (the sofas looked very comfortable) we decided to go straight to the restaurant ( I had just cycled 60 miles and was quite hungry!).

the roast beef was really succulent and tasty, lots of crispy roast potatoes, and nice veg. I did ask for more veg which quickly arrived.

there is a choice of menus, and a set 2-course or 3-course offer. I did get the impression however that the roast is the best sellers on Sunday, (obviously) and other dishes may taken a little longer to prepare.

between us we had bread and butter pudding and apple crumble for desert. all really tasty and filling.

all in all a great meal, well served, and good value, thanks!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We booked our room here well in advance of our cruise to Europe. It is so close to the port that you can relax and enjoy your stay without worrying over the time the ship leaves port. It is steeped in history, is well maintained, picturesque, and very friendly. There is a small pub/restaurant on site that serves up great meals at decent prices, so you don't have to go out looking. The front desk is used to travelers waiting on ships, so they arrange cab fares for you. The small town is also worthy of a walk around, and you can escape to the waterfront beach if you like as well. It reminds me of Halifax Harbour in Nova Scotia back in the early 60's. They are both very warm friendly seaside towns.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shirleym2359
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Having grown up in Harwich I returned for a family party and booked to stay at The Tower Hotel. The Tower Hotel was originally built as a private domestic residence in 1885 by Mr Pattrick. The hotel has both standard and executive rooms, and I stayed in the Bagshaw room.

The welcome was warm and the room on arrival was spotlessly clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the nights sleep was superb. As we had a corner room the room was wonderfully light but the view wasn't great. Our room had high ceiling with original cornicing and a lovely chandelier but I was disappointed not to see any antiques or vintage furniture in the room.

The biggest let down for us was the cheap toilet paper and the bath towels with were tiny. I am a size 12 and they only just went round me. At £90 a night it would be nice to have a little bit of luxury!

Breakfast is an additional cost but at £7.75 a head it was well worth it. All the breakfasts are cooked to order and the attention to detail showed being hot and very tasted. Given Tiptree jam is made just up the road it would have been nice to have this rather than cheap 'good morning' marmalade.

All in all we had a very pleasant stay, and if I was needing to stay in the area again I would cheerfully stay here.

Room Tip: Larger rooms can be had if you check the room details
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is beautiful. The staff are friendly, the prices reasonable, the rooms are small but everything you need is there and it is spotlessly clean.

We had a rushed weekend and wish we had more time to have a proper meal at the hotel rather than just a baguette (which was delicious)

If we visit Harwich again we will definitely be staying at the Tower

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen W
Reviewed 16 March 2014

i have just returned from a lovely 3 night stay at The Tower Hotel and have enjoyed my stay alot.The room was alittle small but suited my needs and i was a groupon visitor and was offered the chance to upgrade but declined.Breakfast is extra on top of room fee but is very tasty and well worth the money.The hotel staff are friendly and attentive to your needs and made you feel welcome.I had an evening meal of fish and chips in the resident bar Rigbys and all i can say is WOW the cod was huge and very very fresh never tasted as good well done The Tower

Room Tip: take a room upgrade if possible
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Having come to stay at The Castle Hotel for a family funeral, I'm glad I stayed here. The hotel is lovely, clean and comfortable but the staff are what really made this hotel. When we checked in, Karen was very helpful and looked after me, and other family members checking in, so well. And staying up for a few drinks after 11 we had the absolute pleasure if meeting Grace, who was fantastic. She did an amazing job of keeping us entertained and comfortable. Overall, given the circumstances of our stay, it was fantastic!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Rob L
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel with facilities and shops close by. Set in a nice area. The rooms were comfy and clean and the staff were very helpful and polite. The gardens were lovely and there was a relaxed and friendly atmosphere at all times.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harwich
The Pier Hotel at Harwich
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
The Mistley Thorn
The Mistley Thorn
#1 of 1 in Mistley

Been to The Tower Hotel? Share your experiences!