“The best fish and chips I have ever eaten!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ship - CLOSED

The Ship
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Now in his 3rd year at the ship restaurant chef James Sallows welcomes you to his intimate yet fulfilling eating establishment. Fresh food is the key, accompanied by a well thought out and hand picked wine list, a friendly and welcoming service awaits you and artwork by local artists is in abundance for your viewing and purchasing pleasures.
Ramsey, United Kingdom
“The best fish and chips I have ever eaten!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

We had heard the rumours that things and cook had changed , infact it is all around the town.
No need for concern ,the new week day chef cooked the most delicious fish and chips we can remember ever having . Followed by scrumie bread nd butter pudding for me and apple crumble with lots of cinnamon in the crumble ( Devine) and homemade custard and coffees.
They still have their themed evenings which I know from friends are really good, and I believe the Sunday lunches are still cooked by the owner .
With the meal as good as we had this week I hope the new chef stays for ever!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Fruitgum1955

Colchester, United Kingdom
“New owners”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We went for Sunday lunch as it's always been fantastic. I was disappointed however, the quality of the food was no where near as good. I found out later that the restaurant has been taken over by new owners. It also turns out that they no longer open in the evening. Such a shame!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
chefjimmysals, Owner at The Ship, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Hi and thanks for the review.
I just wanted to correct you on a few things, firstly the ship isn't under new ownership and won't be for a long while yet, it just has a new concept!
Secondly the quality hasn't changed at all, we are still using the same suppliers (meat,fish and vegetables) and it is still cooked in exactly the same way.
If you had an issue could you not of brought it up at the time instead of splashing it all over here without getting the facts first?
Small businesses have to adapt to survive and if they get knocked whenever they try something different what hope do they have?
Any issues please bring it up with myself and I will do my best to rectify it, also we will still open in the evenings for group parties.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food and service EVER”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Great location and venue. The owner/head chef was extremely friendly and inviting. Food was amazing, best I'v ever had. Prices were very good and great value for money. Staff were very helpfull and polite and the food range and choices were brilliant.

Epic place to eat and drink. Best place I have EVER been.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Wonderful food, great value, lovely service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

On a bright cool spring day we fancied a birthday (my wife) walk with the children round Harwich, pottering on the pier and then lunch. The reviews for The Ship were good but they were booked out! But the guy on the phone was really helpful and suggested some times to pop in and check...and there was a cancellation so we got our table.
The small room is simply furnished but clean and stylish too. The young waiters were polite and attentive. The room was full, and everyone there seemed to be regulars. Sunday lunch was superb! I'm always careful with Sunday lunches in so-called gastropubs, as they can often be insipid affairs and not a patch on the normal weekday menu. Not here. The pork belly with crackling was expertly cooked - soft melt in the mouth meat with a salty crisp crackling on top. My wife loved her fish pie. The roast chicken was full of flavour. There was lamb and beef and skate wing on the Sunday menu too, and vegetarian options if you asked. And the trimmings were all spot-on too - a rich dark gravy, tasty stuffing, apple sauce, Yorkshire puddings - all done with care and attention. Puddings were even better - the bread and butter pudding I had was deliciously creamy and flavoursome. Whilst eating a couple of locals came in with their own plates and got themselves a takeaway. I can totally see why. And 2 courses for £14 a head! Absolutely spot on.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Mike J
Coggeshall, United Kingdom
“Wonderful find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Found this on a freezing cold day wandering around Old Harwich. The service is helpful and fast with no intrusive behaviour and the food.............well, it was divine. A real gem of a place. Spotlessly clean and lovely atmosphere. Will be back!! Oh, and loved the very good paintings on the wall. x x x

• Visited March 2013