“Excellent”

The Dilraj
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Dursley
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very friendly service and consistently good food--don't understand why the other reviewers are not happy... I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant as a good and welcoming place to eat in a relaxed atmosphere

• Visited May 2014

“What has happened??”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I am shocked to write this bad review,but having dined here tonight feel I have no choice.

I have been coming to the Dil RaJ for over 15 years-and have always praised its delicious foods,and the consistency of the dishes.Always the same flavour,texture,taste, wether ordered as a restaurant meal,or as a takeaway...You could say I know the restaurant like the back if my hand!! The owner Raqib and his team have always been very friendly,professional and welcoming.

I am not sure as the 'Dil Raj brand',signage,menu,staff uniform and interior has not changed.However the last two visits me and my partner have made have highlighted some big differences.

The food is,for want of a better word,awful.Bland,tasteless and with slippery,unappetising slices of meat in the dishes.The familiar tastes i have been used to for over a decade are long gone.The sauces are watery,and their colours,which once were vibrant are washed out and weak. I could not finish my food (which is never ever a problem) and neither could my partner.A few mouthfuls in,and it was unappetising and completely lacking in taste or texture.Looked like a bowl of vomit :(

The staff have changed,no familiar faces remain anymore.It would appear that the DilRaj is operating under the same name,but is now under new management,or has a new chef-maybe both.It is nothing like it used to be.We are so disappointed.The Dil Raj has always been such a remarkable place,but we did not enjoy it at all on our last two visits.

What a shame.15 years of loyalty from ourselves,but unfortunately we shall not return.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Blondeyem
SW UK
“Terrible takeaway”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I got a takeaway from the Dilraj this evening and it was absolute rubbish. We were the first people to order this evening so there could be no excuses based on it being rushed.

We ordered
Bombay aloo - raw potatoes, served cold
Chicken vindaloo - tasteless, oily with chewy over cooked (boiled) chicken
Channa massala - tasteless
Chicken Tikka - just tasted of the raw onions it was packaged with. Food colouring used rather than marination.

No idea why this place has so many good reviews it was terrible.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank woomeister
Gloucestershire
“Super food - super service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We've lived in the area for 14 years and have generally always gone to the Dil Raj. I personally think it's got even better recently. We went last week and took the children and family that were staying. The meal was superb! and the service was excellent as well. They're brilliant with the children - great fun and we had a perfect early meal out. Thank you Dil Raj. Not sure about the comment with the lamb. My son (11) had a lamb Biryani and said the meat was very tender - he loved it! Their naan's were deliciously fresh - my daughter (9) loves their cheese naan. In fact, we're picking her up one tonight! We also recommend this restaurant to clients who visit so all in all - highly recommended to everybody!

• Visited February 2014
Gloucestershire
“Not on the ball this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Eat here regularly, but this time a few of us had lamb that was really tough. Time to change butchers possibly?

Visited January 2014