“Average meal, reasonably priced”
Review of The Dilraj

The Dilraj
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Dursley
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Eastern European
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Average meal, reasonably priced”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Restaurant was half full when we visited. It was well staffed and was clean with nice atmosphere.
Food was served promptly.
Food quality was variable - chicken shashlik has a lot of what mushrooms served with it (never had mushrooms served with this dish even though have had it tens of times in the past), sag paneer was VERY sweet - which is unusual. Quality of chicken was generally good although a few pieces were a bit tough IMO. Would visit again but would not rush back

• Visited August 2014

“Lovely Vibe & Veg but Dreadful Meat”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

First time at the Dilraj and we loved the atmosphere - it had a friendly and busy feel. The service was ironic and funny - our waiter was a little irritated with our request for a doggy bag and halves of cider but we liked him.

However our two dishes were polar opposite. The Nawab Tikka Mossana (?) was radioactively red with about 6 bits of hard lamb, OK chicken and hard prawns. It was so loaded with sugar that my partner got ill with his sugar allergy afterwards (this is someone who can tolerate a few pieces of chocolate or sips of coke without ill effect).

Alternately the Subjie Sambha was hot and sour vegetable dish and was delicious - just the right balance of fresh veg and spice. The naan bread and chapati were also lovely.

In conclusion, we wish we'd ordered the vegetable option for 2. In our estimation this restaurant do not know how to cook meat well - how I wish we'd visited in its glory days.

• Visited August 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very friendly service and consistently good food--don't understand why the other reviewers are not happy... I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant as a good and welcoming place to eat in a relaxed atmosphere

• Visited May 2014
“What has happened??”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I am shocked to write this bad review,but having dined here tonight feel I have no choice.

I have been coming to the Dil RaJ for over 15 years-and have always praised its delicious foods,and the consistency of the dishes.Always the same flavour,texture,taste, wether ordered as a restaurant meal,or as a takeaway...You could say I know the restaurant like the back if my hand!! The owner Raqib and his team have always been very friendly,professional and welcoming.

I am not sure as the 'Dil Raj brand',signage,menu,staff uniform and interior has not changed.However the last two visits me and my partner have made have highlighted some big differences.

The food is,for want of a better word,awful.Bland,tasteless and with slippery,unappetising slices of meat in the dishes.The familiar tastes i have been used to for over a decade are long gone.The sauces are watery,and their colours,which once were vibrant are washed out and weak. I could not finish my food (which is never ever a problem) and neither could my partner.A few mouthfuls in,and it was unappetising and completely lacking in taste or texture.Looked like a bowl of vomit :(

The staff have changed,no familiar faces remain anymore.It would appear that the DilRaj is operating under the same name,but is now under new management,or has a new chef-maybe both.It is nothing like it used to be.We are so disappointed.The Dil Raj has always been such a remarkable place,but we did not enjoy it at all on our last two visits.

What a shame.15 years of loyalty from ourselves,but unfortunately we shall not return.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Blondeyem
SW UK
“Terrible takeaway”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I got a takeaway from the Dilraj this evening and it was absolute rubbish. We were the first people to order this evening so there could be no excuses based on it being rushed.

We ordered
Bombay aloo - raw potatoes, served cold
Chicken vindaloo - tasteless, oily with chewy over cooked (boiled) chicken
Channa massala - tasteless
Chicken Tikka - just tasted of the raw onions it was packaged with. Food colouring used rather than marination.

No idea why this place has so many good reviews it was terrible.

• Visited March 2014