“Lovely pub - shame about the bar staff”
Review of The Old Crown Inn

The Old Crown Inn
Ranked #10 of 35 Restaurants in Dursley
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have visited the Old Crown Inn at Uley twice in the last 2 weeks. It's 25 miles from our house so not exactly local! We went to do a recce as there is a great 5 mile walk that starts and ends at this pub, which is also dog friendly (the pub and the walk!) and we wanted to take some friends there. The pub is lovely and rustic and serves the very lovely Uley beer which gets top marks from the real ale drinkers in our group.

I ordered a pint of Uley beer and a peppermint tea as I was driving and wanted something to warm me up. The bar maid gave me a rude look but took the money poured the pint. I waited 20 minutes for the tea and when I politely asked where it was she gave me another dirty look but went to prepare it. No apology, no acceptance that she had forgotten, just a sulky response. She deposited the tea moments later at our table without a word and my thanks was greeted by stoney silence. But everyone has their off days - right?

Fast forward a fortnight and we took our friends there Saturday. The sulky bar maid was working again. This time we ordered 2 and a half pints of Uley beer and a peppermint tea and some snacks. We were greeted again with a filthy look and this time I decided not to "chase up" the tea. The result was the rest of my party had finished their drinks and it was time to go and she had made no effort to remember to get the tea. I asked for the money back which she gave but again she offered no apology for forgetting the tea and just shrugged her shoulders when I reminded her she'd done exactly the same to us just a fortnight earlier.

It's a real shame because this looks like a lovely pub with great food coming out of the kitchen but without a warm welcome I'm loathed to return.

5  Thank poolhousetravellers

Reviewed 26 November 2013

On a trip to the Cotswolds with some friends I happened to stubble across this rather lovely village pub in Uley (just outside Dursley), low ceilings, convivial atmosphere and friendly locals. The ideal setting when you add to that the fact that our four dogs were arguably more welcome than we were.

We ended up having a lovely lunch too, the menu is pretty varied for a pub and there were plenty of veggie selections alongside a substantial number of meaty and fishy options. I had the Brie and Onion Tart, the portion was a good size and the filling was tasty but I would say that the pasty was a little underdone. My sister had the blue cheese and cauliflower gratin and it was delicious.

If you're looking for a warming, hearty meal at the end of a walk or fancy a pint in relaxed surroundings then this is a pretty good place to come.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

This review refers to the pub only as we stopped here for lunch and not accommodation. See other reviews under Dursley B&Bs. Pleasant staff recommended local Uley beer which was well worth drinking. I also had local sausages for lunch & my wife the Lamb Shank. Both typical 'pub grub' nice food and plenty of it. This is the sort of pub that would be good to have as your own local.

1  Thank Tony G
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Went to Badminton Horse Trials at the weekend and booked the Crown for Satruday night as we have been there before - very convenient for our B & B and always been ok. But it has had a bit of a makeover and new owners who were much more obliging and friendly. The food choices included lamb shanks, chicken and leek pie as specials with the main menu showing old favourites like steak and mushroom pie (tender as anything) - steak and scampi as well as old favourites like gammon, egg and chips and sausage and egg! Proper pub grub and reasonably priced too.

We enjoyed it so much we booked for the next night. Sunday night was heaving with lots of people eating so it was a bit less relaxing but still no long wait for food.