“Can't wait for my next visit”

Hummingbird Cafe Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 34 Restaurants in Dursley
Cuisines: British, Caribbean, Cafe
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: By day we are a small, friendly cafe where you can enjoy a simple Latte or enjoy a full English breakfast, we also offer lighter snacks such as Paninis, sandwiches and cakes. Watch out for our speciality evenings, we specialise in Caribbean food, however we also put on other evenings offering Polish & Thai Cuisine. With prior notice we can cater for food allergies and intolerances. All food is prepared freshly on the premises therefore allergies are not an issue for us. We look forward to seeing you.
Minehead
“Can't wait for my next visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I've eaten in many places before, but this has to be one of the best of it's type. The first impression is great with pretty tables outside and lovely decoration inside, the food was fantastic (especially the scrummy cakes), and the staff make you feel as if your experience there really matters to them. Will definitely be back for more.

Dursley, United Kingdom
“Disappointed-sorry!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I decided to try out this new cafe/restaurant on a Saturday lunchtime before booking for one of their advertised special Caribbean evenings. My teenagers are of mixed origin and we thought Caribbean in Dursley would be too much to miss for my sons birthday.
However we were really disappointed and are now going elsewhere for his birthday.
On the Saturday we visited the cafe was over staffed with what seemed to be a cook, a pot washer, a waitress and the owner. I've visited a pub restaurant tonight with five times as many customers and only three staff doing everything and their customer service far exceeded this. Despite the staffing levels tables were covered with dirty crockery and the waitress failed to clear and clean our table even when she brought our food over! The owner, herself, left to do some local food shopping whilst we were there and also walked past tables laden with dirty pots! We did see the male pot washer once but he cleared one table and disappeared.
The food itself was slap dash, we ordered two breakfasts, the bacon was under cooked and the vegetarian sausages were still frozen in the middle. I did complain about this and they were re cooked with an apology from the cook, who said she didn't know how it had happened. Being trained in food hygiene myself I have to ask " where was your food probe?" The whole ambiance was amateur. I wish I could be more complimentary as the owner seemed a really nice friendly lady and the place was nicely decorated but to succeed she needs to seriously address her staffing in terms of quantity and quality.

• Visited March 2014
rienna, Owner at Hummingbird Cafe Bar & Restaurant, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor, all feedback is welcome. I am sorry that you had a disappointing visit to the Hummingbird. I am aware of what happened as we spoke on the day and you were very pleasant about the whole situation which leaves me feeling disappointed that you felt the need to post a poor review on Tripavisor. All Staff are currently under training and review to ensure that they are up to the required standards. I would like to invite you back to the Hummingbird to give us another chance, if you call me on 01453 299276 I will be happy to discuss what we can do for you on your next visit. I look forward to hearing from you. Suzi
Dursley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely people and such good food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Can't believe how good that visit was! Lovely food and lovely people!! Defenitly going there again! 5 star!

1 Thank HowwieRed
“BREAKFAST”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Most of the time I go in the Hummingbird and order a B.O.B ( build your own breakfast.) I order mushrooms, hash browns and bacon. It comes out beautiful and tasty! Love it. It's a warm welcome as I walk through the door. come here all the time, mostly holidays and weekends.

2 Thank Nadia F
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Great addition to Dursley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We visited The Hummingbird for the first time since their relocation to the centre of town for lunch. Friendly and efficient staff, quick service. The children had paninis which they finished and thoroughly enjoyed. I had a nice brunch of sausage (good quality not the sawdust type) egg, bacon, tomato and mushroom which for £4.50 inc coffee, toast and juice is a bargain. Looking forward to trying out the menu in the evening as I've heard great reviews.

2 Thank scalliepallie