“Best in the business”

International Centre for Birds of Prey Entrance Ticket
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Newent
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Please note we are closed to the public on Thursday 20th July, 2017 for a Royal visit in celebration of our 50th Anniversary. We will be open as usual on Friday 21st July...
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This place is brilliant. quite simply the best Falconry centre I've been to, and I've been to a LOT. The birds are stunning, the flight displays are informative AND entertaining (Trust me, not always the case), and Jemima Parry-Jones is wonderful. They've recently added a hospital to their site, and are already World authorities on the breeding and conservation of endangered species. The photographic opportunities are amazing, and I got some great shots.

2  Thank Jeff S
There are newer reviews for The International Centre for Birds of Prey

Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I visited in early May and although we were impressed with the layout and the obvious care taken of the birds we were shocked to see so many in captivity. There were quite a lot of the same species, many birds caged alone, and reading the information nearly all were non endangered in the wild so why is it necessary to keep so many when they should be flying free in their own environment?.Do these birds ever get to fly or do they just sit all day? Reading most of the reviews it is obviously our own personal view and we are sure that every care is taken of the birds but is it necessary to keep so many? We have been on a birds of prey experience before, handled and flown a bird but it was a small centre with only a dozen birds and we know they are all flown regularly. We did not stay to see the display. Obviously most of the visitors thoroughly enjoyed it and I am sure the centre does an excellent job but it was not for us.

6  Thank janet w
Sally M, Public Relations Manager at The International Centre for Birds of Prey, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

I would like to post the following response to this review from Jemima Parry-Jones:

What a great shame these people did not either talk to us the staff, or watch the demonstration. Without seeing that, and seeing that a huge number of the birds here are flown very regularly they went away with totally the wrong impression. This is the oldest and best regarded bird of prey centre worldwide, and does a great deal of conservation work. Those birds that are not flown are busy breeding and rearing young. I don’t think anyone has the right to judge this centre without talking to the staff or more importantly watching that the birds do fly.

Jemima Parry-Jones MBE ( for services to bird conservation!)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I went on the falconry experience day and it was by far the most exhilarating experience on that hallowed turf. I am an absolute novice and a newbie but by the end of the day I flew a falcon with the lure (harder than it looks) I have been to the centre before just to look at the birds but the experience of being close to them and true professionals helping you is like a tennis going to Wimbledon and having a hit with Federer. Can't wait to go back

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Decided to see what it was like as was in the area, bit off the beaten track but well worth it.
So much to see and they do 3 displays per day plus feeding of babies and hands on experience if you have any questions!
Great day out for all the family!

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I went with a group of friends (hen do party) on Saturday 19th April. The staff at the centre were extremely helpful prior to our visit as I had arranged a special group tour of the centre and they even allowed some members of the group to hold a couple of the birds (with supervision and gloves etc) for a charge of course. There was a wide selection of birds the centre was well equipped, plenty of birds to see and staff were friendly and very knowledgable. A truly wonderful morning was had by all and we will certainly visit again!