“Don't stay here, just go home”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
The George Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Newent B&B and Inns
“Don't stay here, just go home”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This is the worst accommodation I have ever stayed at. I have done alot of travelling and stayed in loads of budget accommodation even had rats in the my bedroom but never wanted or felt that I needed to complain or put a bad review on tripadvisor before. I believe the requirement of staying anywhere is being able to sleep. You will not get any sleep if you stay here, very very high noise level, extremely loud music playing until midnight. Then noise of drunken people for next couple of hours so loud ear plugs would not have been any benefit. The room is over a rough pub. Please select somewhere else to stay as I would not like anyone else to go through paying 60-70 pounds to endure a night like that.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank vgyf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed here last weekend. There were five of us. Grandparents, parents and one grandson.
We fitted into two bedrooms tucked at the top of this ancient coaching inn. Our Argentine daughter in law was delighted to be staying in an English pub!
Yes it's a busy pub downstairs and of course on Friday and Saturday nights it is noisy until midnight or closing time. But that's the nature of a popular pub with a great bar menu.
The breakfasts were real English breakfasts none of this measly buffet style - oily bacon and congealed scrambled eggs and a queue to do a bit of toast - that you have inflicted on you in four star hotels. They even rustled up real cocoa for our seven year old grandson pre-breakfast and at the bar in the evening! The best he's had he says! Thanks to the young friendly bar staff and the not so young but equally friendly restaurant staff and chef.
All this came out at roughly £25 per head per night. How do they do it!!
We are planning our next visit already since another of our sons and his family lives in Dymock. This is a delightful part of the world and both Ledbury and Newent have the feel of proper market towns with the full range of independent traders - butchers, green grocers and speciality shops. Newent Onion Fayre coming up on September 9.

Room Tip: We loved our top floor rooms in the eves of the building. You'll never escape pub noises but th...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
England
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This should not be classified as a hotel. Its a pub with rooms above that are extremely outdated and do not even have their own bathrooms. The rooms themselves are very basic and would have been satisfactory had the noise and extremely loud music from the pub below hasnt kept us awake until 1am. No prior warning or consideration was given to us. Meals are served until 8pm but between 7pm and 8pm the pub appeared to be extremely busy with drinkers and not the atmosphere for a meal.
Do not stay in bedroom 1 as this appeared to be the room directly above the bar and faces the main street in the town where everbody remained once the pub had closed, again making a massive amount of noise, making it impossible to sleep.
The lock to the bedroom door did not lock properly and could be "barged" open without even using a key, creating an uneasy feeling!
The only redeeming factor was the breakfast was quite nice!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank hanspanban

Travellers are raving about these Newent hotels

uk
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I cannot disagree with the previous review, but if you value your sleep bring some earplugs.We stayed friday night and expected some noise as it is a town centre pub but the drunken revelry went on and on and on in the bar below and then outside in the street. I like a few beers myself but I think I would have some consideration at 1.00a.m.! When it finally stopped it was as quiet as the grave, at least, until the postmen arrived at 6.00am across the road! and then the cleaner's hoover started at 07.15!
A typical town centre hotel, a bit tired around the edges, very comfortable and clean rooms, but you will need your earplugs !

Room Tip: above the bar or facing the road.........earplugs !
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marmaliser
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I've rated the George as 'Excellent', though I know some of my fellow travellers are unbearably picky and will come up with such phrases as 'tired decor', 'creaky floors' and so on. However, I'm not apologising! Some travellers seem hell-bent on finding all the bad things about a place and not acknowledging the good. My wife and I with our large black dog, Winston, were made very welcome. Winston even thought he'd found a new friend in our room but it turned out to be a full-length mirror right next to where we'd put his bed!

This is a very old coaching inn. It's not flashy, modern, and re-furbished. It's comfortable, friendly and personal. Rhodry Yeandle, the proprietor, was on the phone when we arrived but another member of staff spotted this and immediately made us welcome and gave instructions for getting our car through the archway into the car park until Rhodry was able to take over our check-in. Our room was really comfortable and spotlessly clean with a full range of toiletries and lovely fresh towels. We had an en-suite bathroom which included a bath, although I understand some of the other rooms have showers only and some rooms have a separate, private, bathroom because of the limitations of the old building.

We had a couple of minor issues with the room as we settled in but these were dealt with swiftly, apologetically, efficiently and with a smile. Hotel proprietors don't make mistakes on purpose and, as far as I'm concerned, it's the way any problems are sorted out which is more important and over-shadows what might have been wrong in the first place. That's why I'm not describing what the issues were - within no time at all they were fixed so they really don't matter!

Breakfast was excellent, freshly prepared for us while we tucked into our cereals and fruit juices. The filter coffee jug was warming on the side and filled the dining-room with a delicious aroma as we went in on each of our two mornings. The hotel also serves evening meals which we chose to eat in the Bar as it felt more comfortable, having Winston with us. OK, the food isn't cordon-bleu and will be described by many as 'pub-grub'. However, when the pub-grub is home-cooked and sourced from local suppliers (Newent is well-known for its local produce), you won't find me complaining. If I want a posh meal out, I'll save up and go to a top restaurant (but I'll bet the food won't taste any better). On the negative side, my wife had beef lasagne on our second evening and found it a little stodgy for her taste but this was probably just a personal thing, We can recommend the chicken fillet, the beefburger and the steak and ale pie (to die for!) - the vegetables and chips were superb.

I have to admit we were slightly un-nerved when the guy carrying our plates of food on the first evening tucked the cutlery in his back pocket to keep his hands free! He could have made a separate journey, surely! On the second evening, we went and got our own cutlery. Sorry to mention this, really, but it was a bit of a let-down to otherwise perfect service throughout our stay.

I drank in the Bar later each evening and Winston made lots of new friends among the locals. The staff are friendly and cheerful and I was quickly made to feel part of the crowd, even to the point of being invited to join in with their dominoes (I think they just hoped to take some money off me!) which I declined, having not played for over forty years. There is a small selection of local real ales which is well-kept and very reasonably priced. The only down-side to the Bar (for me) was the large screen showing football both evenings on Sky Sports. This was not loud or intrusive but, as I think football must be one of the most boring and pointless activities ever invented, I was pleased when the matches ended and we switched to some decent sixties music! Amazingly, there were several regulars who didn't share my opinion .......

Perfectly located in the centre of the town, I can recommend the George, particularly for those travelling with a dog - it is truly dog-friendly but equally welcoming for those without pets. With free Wi-Fi, this would also be a good base for business-users who want a change from the faceless and anonymous chains of this world and who love a drop of decent ale with home-cooked food.

Good old-fashioned service with a smile - nothing is too much trouble. Thanks Rhod, Dave, Katie and everyone else who served us - we would certainly stay here again if we come to Newent.

Room Tip: We were in Room 4 - twin beds and en-suite with a bath. Although at the front, on the main street...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cappycat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newent
The Speech House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Littledean
Malt Shovel Inn
Malt Shovel Inn
#1 of 1 in Ruardean

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!