See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed here one night. Pleasant town, lovely building full of charm and character. Triple room was a very good size. However, manager didn't know we were coming (he found 4 emails when we pointed out that we'd booked online), which could explain the used towel left in the room, and the skid marks and poo-splatters in the 'private' bathroom (I'm no princess, but I shouldn't have had to clean brown stuff off the seat!). It doesn't explain why no one has fixed the broken window in the bathroom - it's just going to get colder! I wouldn't want to be trying to sleep in the room next door to the bathroom, as the hot water makes a dreadful racket. Bar noise was as expected and not too bad.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Caroline H
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night as we had booked a visit to the Three Choirs Vineyard. We found the hotel to be very good value with comfortable accomodation. The staff were friendly and the your Manager himself kindly even drove us to the Vineyard for our winetasting tour and then picked us back up again. Our room was spacious and the bed was comfy and the really well cooked full English breakfast went down very well the following morning! Overall a pleasant stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here one night whilst walking in the area. Made welcome by the young manager. My room was a twin, adequately furnished but the excellent shower/toilet was down a corridor. Good supply of toiletries and tea making essentials.
The friendly bar was busy all day and I decided to eat early to get some space. The 'restaurant' at the back of the pub didn't look particularly appealing.The food was good quality for a pub and there was a fair selection of beers. The bar was taken over later by a darts match - good to see a lively community.
Slept well till the early hours when the post office/delivery depot next door started work - lots of vans and noisy people. My room was at the front and over the road.
Breakfast was good and the overall price average.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Prudol
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Definitely not what it reads online.I can understand an old building,but I think the towels were the same age,Room not very clean ,all poor quality linen.Didnt have dinner,everywhere was disorderly with sticky tables,having said that,the breakfast was quite good when someone actually turned up to do it,and he was a very nice and helpful chap.,about the only good thing about the place.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bwarneresq
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We have just returned from a roadtrip around the south of England. We stayed here on our return leg. We rolled up on our bikes (the motored variety) & shown a fairly secure place to leave them, out of view and quite satisfactory. We were greeted by a young, very friendly & warm manager who showed us our room, a twin! Not their fault, my husband doesn't know the difference between doubles & twins! It was an en-suite situated right at the top of this very quiant, typically English, old hostelry. It was clean, un-cluttered (important when you have leathers, helmet & other biking gear) with a selection of shampoo, hair conditioner & shower gel. We enjoyed a reviving shower & went down to have a refreshing beer & food. Both were excellent! I would have liked the stuffed chicken breast off the specials board, only to be disappointed as they had just sold their last portion so I decided to have a Sirloin & my Husband ordered Scampi. The meals came in record time & were spot on. I like my steak rare but rarely (excuse the pun) get it rare, as far as I was concerned the steak was beautiful & I had it on good authority the Scampi was the same. We sat outside in the little beer garden which is a lovely chilled area with music playing & enjoyed the quiet time just chatting.

I'm sure readers of this review are waiting for the 'But' considering some of the previous reviews, well there isn't one. We both slept like logs, enjoyed our breakfast which we booked at 9am (we had a choice of times when we would like to have it) packed up and hit the road having had a thoroughly good stay. To comment on the breakfast, it was served in a relaxed atmosphere, there was a choice of cereals with juices that you could help yourself to. We ordered a cooked breakfast with toast, when it arrived it was huge but gorgeous & served by a friendly chef who was interested in where we had been & were going.

Newent itself is a fascinating Tudor market town with friendly people who are clearly proud of their town & to sum up the George Hotel, if you want good, honest accommodation at a very reasonable price stay here but if you are looking for something more sod off to Gloucester! At the end of the day it is a pub with fascinating history, it is what it is! Your choice!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple