“Breakfast at Hobbs”

Hobbs House Bakery
Ranked #12 of 27 Restaurants in Nailsworth
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Our Bistro menu celebrates British food and produce of the South West, making best use of Hobbs House Bakery's handmade bread and wood fired oven. We have a focus on the carefully sourced; everything is bought directly from the producers and cooked with real care and imagination. We put a a strong focus on the traditional cuts of meat from our butchery alongside fish that may have fallen from favour, but lack nothing in flavour. We serve great teas and coffee from local roasters Extract. This is all complemented by a selection of local ales and ciders as well as our comprehensive wine list, put together by Nailsworth-based Raffles Wine. "Hobbs House has become one of the jewels in Nailsworth's crown", Gloucestershire Echo
Sydney, Australia
“Breakfast at Hobbs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Great place for breakfast! Yummy cakes for afterwards! Friendly staff - lady from Melbourne especially!

Visited January 2014

Doha, Qatar
“Bakery to die for”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Their cakes and bread are marvellous ... they do however make rather a large cappuccino, much to my horror. Still, this is not to take away from the awesomeness of their scones, rolls and other pastries.
Do be careful if you buy something that looks like a beautifully soft pecan Danish - nearly broke all my crowns as I bit greedily into its luscious brown centre this morning.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank DohaDi
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“In 10 years of visiting - just had a poor experience - management needed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

This is a great place and very popular. I've been going for years. Sadly, had a disaster this week and its important that its just a blip and hopefully not a trend! So, there were lots of staff and no excuses, but service was dopy and slow. I ordered the burger and asked to pay extra for gherkins, whereby I was told no need to pay extra, as it comes with lots of gherkins. You can guess what happened, whilst reading the paper the burger arrived, when I started, I noticed no gherkins!! After ages trying to get attention (three staff talking gossip and not looking!!!), eventually going to the counter myself, and asking for the promised and assured gherkins ........ to my horror and amazement the intelligent looking lad brought me sliced cucumber in a dish!!!! Well that's a 1st!!! Never had this before ..... a Bistro with staff that don't know the difference between Gherkin and cucumber!! What's amazing the chap assured me it was a different type of Gherkin and not Cucumber, so being the placid shy person I am, I reluctantly accepted and allowed him to go back to his corner and fall asleep, to find it was Cucumber!! The helpful bemused lady apologised when I ordered pudding - their famous bread & butter beauty. When this arrived it was stone cold when I specifically asked for it to be hot! So, a poor experience which suggests some management focus and training required. In fairness the lady was very embarrassed and did not charge me for the 'not eaten' pudding - I couldn't be bothered to ask once again for an error to be corrected - so read the paper and saved the weight gain instead!!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Rory A
London, United Kingdom
“Great bakery but horrid burgers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

The bakery is wonderful and there is lots to recommend this little cafe, nice position, friendly atmosphere, BUT the burgers we had really were not nice, they were dense and tasted a bit old.... Green chili mayo to accompany was pretty tasteless. A pity. Lovely custard tarts though and the service was nice. Noisy chairs on the wooden floor too.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank sriv60
UK
“Eggs Benedict gone wrong, disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Okay, I know this place is famous and does some pretty good stuff. The take-away bread and butter pudding is a thing of sheer beauty. But...

I breakfasted there with a friend and ordered Eggs Benedict. The first thing wrong was the ham, seemed to be of the supermarket style thin sliced variety. The portion I had was extremely fatty with lots of gristly bits in. It was extremely unpleasant.

Secondly, the hollandaise sauce was far too thick. In an EB it should be runny but it had the consistency of clotted cream. If it had been served with smoked salmon or asparagus it would've been great, but not in an Eggs Benedict.

I won't be rushing back, which is a shame because it certainly promises a lot.

Visited September 2013