“OUR ROOM WAS BROKEN INTO - belongings and cash were stolen -”

and 1 more site!
Egypt Mill Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nailsworth
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Good afternoon,

My boyfriend and I booked a two night break at the Egypt Mill Hotel & Restaurant, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, GL6 OAE.
We were visiting the Area for the Badminton Horse Trials and this was our first stay at the hotel which was pleasant upon arrival and we were happy with our choice and location.

We checked in around 7pm and went straight to our room to change for dinner. We left our room at 8pm drawing all of our blinds, leaving our TV and lights on and locking the door behind us.
We returned to our room at 10.45pm and noticed that our room was much colder than when we left but assumed this was just a draft due to the buildings age.
We woke in the morning to notice our blind ‘swinging in the breeze’ – upon checking, our room window had been broken into, the glass smashed and the lead window frames attacked. We then noticed that my boyfriends business briefcase had gone along with £1000 cash, his laptop and its carry bag.

We reported this to the front desk who didn’t seem alarmed at all. We then called the police. Later, my boyfriend found a majority of his belongings in the Hotel garden/grounds but the laptop and cash had been taken. The police came and conducted a full crime scene investigation – the hotel brushed us to one side as they had a wedding on – we felt like complete criminals ourselves with the police following us around. It took 3 hours for the hotel Manager to arrive on site – despite being notified that there had been a burglary on his premises and on his watch!

We asked to be moved to another room as ours was no longer secure and there was glass everywhere. They offered us a family room which was certainly no where near the standard of our original room – it was like a sweaty dungeon. They then offered us another room above the wedding disco. It was only after I expressed my extreme dissatisfaction that they offered us an equivalent room in the old mill where we had stayed the previous night!
They didn’t even ask if we were ok, they didn’t offer us the use of their phone. They didn’t apologise or even save us a breakfast.

We left the hotel and went to Badminton but most of the day and event had passed.

We returned to the Hotel at 7.30pm and asked to speak to the Manager again – mainly to discuss insurances etc – he was reluctant to see us as he had the wedding to oversee. The conversation was pointless. He was the most insincere man I have ever met. Totally unsympathetic and sat with a wry grin on his face the whole time.
My concern was that they had no policy or procedure in place for this type of incident. They had a wedding going on with lots of guests / valuables / cash / possessions and they didn’t even warn them to be vigilant with their belongings as they had had a break in the night before. The whole thing was swept under the carpet.

We had an OK nights sleep and breakfast the next morning. Upon checking out we were presented with a full bill. My boyfriend was picking up the cost but I think the total was £125 for each night - £250.
I immediately demanded to see the hotel manager again – he was not available but they sent a deputy manager to see us. My boyfriend explained what had happened to us and the way in which we were treated and the hotels poor handling of the whole situation.

My boyfriend stated that he was more than happy to pay good money and full price for our second nights stay with them – we did not dispute the £125 for the second night at all.

We could not believe that they were trying to charge us for our first nights stay – the night that we were burgled. They wanted to charge us for the privilege of having our room broken into, our belongings / money stolen, poor treatment, terrible customer care and poor management handling. We couldn’t believe it.

They didn’t even give us the correct insurance details – they gave us their employers liability insurance and we were sent on our way.

We have since been told that the hotel / loss adjusters can’t help us and that we have no way of getting any money or compensation back.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank CandABedfordshire
Egyptmill, Manager at Egypt Mill Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2010

In 25 years of trading this is the first occasion involving the loss of cash and personal belongings taken from a guest’s room staying at our hotel.

What can we say? We were naturally very sorry that the incident took place. However the security and safety of guest’s belongings and cash is not the responsibility of any commercial establishment and valuable belongings should remain in the personal safe keeping of the owners. To leave a valuable laptop and £1000 cash in one of two ground floor rooms is perhaps not a thing most of us would do. Had the guests deposited the cash with us in our safe we would have been totally responsible.

The safety and security of guests staying in our hotel is paramount but on this occasion our insurers have advised us that we cannot be held responsible for these losses.

Reviewed 10 May 2010

Wanted to write a quick review after attending a Wedding at Egypt Mill over the weekend. The staff were great, nothing seemed too much trouble. The rooms were clean, roomy and characterful and the setting wonderful for a Wedding. Nailsworth is a lovely spot with the town centre only being a few minutes walk away.

The only slight negative comments I would make would be the noise from the road - I live on a road myself so am quite used to it and it didn't cause me a problem but if you aren't used to road noise it may affect your sleep and there was quite a lengthy delay with the restaurant providing sandwiches for the bridal party but when they did come, they were delicious!

Other than that Egypt Mill is a really nice venue and it's nice to visit a privately owned establishment that puts so much into ensuring the guests are made to feel so welcome.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I recently stayed at the Egypt mill hotel with my wife for the weekend and I have to say everything about the hotel is 1st class. From making the booking, through to the dining room staff everything was perfect. I have never come across such well trained and polite staff so well done to the management team for making our weekend. We will be back.

Mr C Taylor

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Poor Welcome. Food poor and overpriced. Same menu, should have specials. Complained about loud music in dining room, nothing done. My wife said no toilet paper on holders in toilets in dining area, though paper was there. Matthew, (front office Manager) made a not of our comments. This hotel lacks attention to detail and real 'hands on' managment. Colin Senior

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank ArthurAuchterarder
Egyptmill, General Manager at Egypt Mill Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2010

This gentleman did raise the above issues with us on departure. Naturally we were sorry to hear his concerns and acted immediately. We are a privately owned hotel and take pride in providing a personal service and we are sorry this gentleman was not happy. We have reviewed his comments with our staff and can only apologise for his disappointment and hope that he will return to see us soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2010

My daughter got married here on 19th March, and everything was just perfect . This is such a romantic setting for a wedding and everything was just beautiful and made my daughter's special day even more special. The staff were so friendly and helpful on the day and during every phone call, e-mail and visit prior to the wedding.. The food was delicious and there was plenty of it. The service was excellent throughout our stay and the staff were
so obliging, nothing was too much trouble.

I would thoroughly recommend Egypt Mill to anyone, but especially for that extra special occassion. Thank you to all concerned in making my daughter so happy on her special day.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 March 2010

My son got married at this venue 19th March 2010. We had the most wonderful day, the staff were amazing nothing was too much trouble. The food was of a very high standard and delicious. I would deffinately recommend this hotel to anyone organising their very special day. Thanks again to the manager and staff.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my mum for 2 nights whilst we were doing a course based here and I cannot wait to return.
Everything about our stay was absolutely faultless. The twin room we stayed in over looked the bridge and mill. The room was modern, bright, big and furnished to a very high standard. The beds were some of the most comfortable I have ever stayed in. It had everything that you could ever want.
We ate in the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner and all meals we had here were beautiful. The food was a very high standard, always fresh, hot and more than adequate portions. The menu including something for everyone and even the most fussy eater would find something they would like I am sure and the staff were more than happy to adjust things to suit.
The staff couldn't do enough for you, they were always happy, attentive and extremely polite.
The hotel was easy to find and in a very central position for Nailsworth which is a wonderful town in itself to wander around.
To sum up, if you want a wonderful relaxing break, in beautiful surroundings, fab rooms and great food, I would recommend this hotel everytime. Thats why I am getting my husband to take me back for my birthday in November.

• Stayed: March 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nailsworth
Stonehouse Court
#6 of 6 in Tetbury
Calcot Manor
Calcot Manor
#1 of 1 in Calcot

Been to Egypt Mill Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!