“An experience we would rather forget.”
Review of The Old Red Lion

The Old Red Lion
Price range: US$4 - US$32
Cuisines: Steakhouse, International, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We would love you to visit The Old Red Lion. The leather sofas round the log fire are so lovely on the cold autumn and winter evenings. You must come and have a meal or sit and have a drink in the Green Room, which we have recently refurbished. The Welland Valley is one of the most beautiful areas of the Midlands and there’s nothing like a summer evening stroll along one of the many footpaths and bridleways, finishing off with supper and drinks at The Old Red Lion. The spring sees the lambing season and the fields around the pub are full of them.
Kettering, England, United Kingdom
“An experience we would rather forget.”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Upon arriving at 7.00 p.m.we were told to choose a table and order food & drinks at the bar when ready,which we did by 7.05 at the latest.
There was a large party of mixed individuals in one corner of the dining area,(several of whom were teenage girls),they got progressively louder as we awaited our meals,we therefore decided to cancel our meals (or attempt to) as we did not wish to eat with ever louder racket to our right.
The manageress was called "I cannot refund your meals as they are already cooked" she said "but we have a smaller dining area in the vicinity of the bar".
Not meaning to be overly difficult we moved to this area and awaited our "already cooked " meals,by then it was 7.20.
At 7.40 (after twice inquiring about our food) our "already cooked" meals arrived!
My wife had ordered sirloin steak (medium),it arrived very well done & very dry & tough.
The vegetables provided with my meal (peas) were cold.
When asked by the waitress if our meals were to our liking,we were truthful (she did in fairness offer to change my wife's steak)but in truth by then we just wanted to leave the place as quickly as possible.
It became very apparent that management of this establishment have a "clique" of regulars who use the place & that other patrons are seen as an inconvenience.
We would most certainly NOT recommend this establishment to anyone.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank 345honestreviewer

Corby
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SUPER SMASHING GREAT!”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Turned up to Welham with my Mother, My Fiancee and My Boy. Was extremely happy to get a table as we hadn't booked and other places in the surounding areas was packed to the rafters!
As soon as we arrived the nice Lady of the place said hello and advised us of the seating in the eating area(HORSE-SHOE AROUND THE BAR).
We decided to sit in the alcove part which looked like the Cavern in Liverpool where the Beatles found their way into the 60's music industry. Being a Beatles fn I thought this was kind of cool and the not so well lit lighting in his part of the building was nice and cosey.
The food was decent as my boy had the chicken and chips with trimmings which was really cheap, and the helpful bar staff refilled his juice bottle free of charg..a nice wee touch to say the least!
My Mother and Fiancee had a rump steak each with chips and salad which was very good for the price of fifteen quid and a free bottle of 12% Rose PLONK!
I chose the Superman Mixed Grill which was amazing for £7.95 !! Couldnt believe that I would of got a bit of T-bone Steak, Sirloin Steak, Gammon, Lamb Chop, Pork Chop, Kidney, Two Big Healthy Sausages and an Egg! All this came with Chips,Onion Rings, Mushrooms, Tomatoes and side salad, Ths had to be the best deal of the day! This was all washed down with 2 pints of lager and J20 between the three of us, The ladies had some Ice Cream and Toffee afters each and my Boy had some Ice Cream.
The whole eating experience was done and dusted in the hour and was remarkably good. We paid 36 pound for the lot and walked out happy, defintely come again :-)

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank EASYOZIE
Melbourne, Australia
“don't bother”
Reviewed 13 August 2010

The Old Red lion 's claim to fame is the size of its meals. I can advise the large meals are no substitute for poor quality and lousy service. A group of six of us went there recently for an evening meal. (they dont take bookings, incidentally, so if you are travelling any distance, you take the chance that you might not get a table.) We asked that drinks be put on the bill with the food but they have a convoluted system where they run a drinks tab whereby you give them a credit card for 60 Pounds and if it is not all used up, you will have the balance credited back to your card in ten days! God save us! We were then sat next to a loudspeaker which pounded out rock music all the time we were there. We asked for it to be turned down twice but to no avail. We could not carry out any conversation at all. Had we been able to, we might have stayed longer and used up the 60 pounds on the tab! Then came the food, very large portions but only barely edible. My wife wanted a cold tomato Juice but they had no ice. We were glad to leave. We complained about the whole episode but were advised that they had continuous complaints but that they could do nothing about it because distant management directed that that was how they run the place. We used to go there regularly, but it has been "improved" by management to the point where it is rubbish!

6 Thank don2235