Angel Hotel
The Three Swans Hotel(Market Harborough)
US$103
US$100
Travelocity
US$78
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Market Harborough(Market Harborough)(Great Value!)
US$60
    US$77
    US$154
    US$78
    PremierInn.com
    Kilworth House Hotel(North Kilworth)
    US$202
    US$196
    Travelocity
    All reviewshigh streetmarket towncreaky floorboardsiron and ironing boardmodern bathroomfriendly hoteltrouser pressfull englishfunction roomsingle roomfawlty towersstayed here for one nighta bit tiredwould stay againplenty of parkingevening mealsalmon
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 25 May 2014

I'm reviewing this as a restaurant but I think our impression of it is indicative of what to expect from the hotel. We arrived in Market Harborough on a day out looking for Sunday lunch. The Angel Hotel looked scruffy from the outside eg letters missing from the name, but the set lunch seemed reasonable. Inside it is also shabby (and not shabby chic). It looks as if not much care has been taken of it since the1950s. When we asked for a table for lunch, on the dot of 2 o'clock, we were told that they had stopped serving hot food (I wonder when they actually started) but they could do sandwiches. Needless to say, we didn't stay so that was £36 they were turning away, which we spent at Wildwood.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank jacquir88
    Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for several nights in a family room. First the good...

Good:

The majority of the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.
    Any requests were helpfully answered by reception and wait staff.
    The location is excellent with free parking.
    There was a good breakfast selection and it was fresh.
    The building is historic and very interesting.
    The bar is very well stocked and had a pleasant atmosphere.
    Parking was ample.

Not so good:

Strange musty smells in some of the corridors.
    Very very small TV.
    Bed Pillows were flat.
    Shower pressure was rather low.
    No room key available for the first 2 nights.
    No in-room safe. No in-room fridge or mini-bar.
    Manager not particularly friendly or helpful. By chance the manager was working one of the first nights of our stay. He didn't introduce himself of say any words of welcome. I only knew he was the manager because another member of staff had pointed him out to me the day before. I asked him about WiFi in our room and his reply was that - they don't guarantee wireless coverage in all the rooms. His reply was perhaps factual but he was not friendly, did not attempt to make us feel like welcome guests, or try to give us any means of apology.

Bad:

Dirty carpets in room.
    Bathroom Sink - partial blockage not cleared - the cleaners must know about this as they wipe and wash the sinks daily but it remained blocked and water drained very slowly.
    Room not fully cleaned (surfaces left dirty, crumbs left on carpets). I suspect surfaces are wiped down with a wet rag but are not cleaned. I cleaned the coffee table and side table with a wet wipe and saw that it was very dirty after I used it.
    No WiFi in our room. Not all the hotel has wireless coverage. I think that in this day that's pretty poor. It meant I couldn't use my tablet or work when I wanted. There was WiFi in the bar and reception area but traveling with a small child means that I'm stuck to being in the room...I can't leave a child and go down to the bar to use wireless to work.

In addition:
    The decor is a bit tired and could use an update. Also we could hear small animals (mice / rats / pigeons?) scrabbling about in the eaves and under the roof which was directly over our room (number 10). They made a lot of noise. As long as they were in the roof and not the room I didn't mind but some people might find the noise disturbing.

We come to Market Harborough at least once a year to visit family. Last time we stayed in another hotel nearby (which was much better, with regards to cleanliness of the room and all the staff, including the manager, were helpful and friendly). I hope standards at the Angel are going to change for the better, it would be nice to come back here if the rooms were cleaned properly and the other things I mentioned were sorted out.

I have written a complaint to the owner. I didn't feel that I was able to complain about the cleanliness etc. during my stay partly because the manager was unreceptive about my first complaint (re WiFi).

Room Tip: Room 10 is very spacious family room with a bath - but if your are a light sleeper beware! The room is directly under the eaves and you can hear pigeons or mice scrabbling about all night. the view is of the car park (but that's true for most of the rooms I think).
    • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
    3  Thank Charlotte S
    Reviewed 18 May 2014

Oh dear. Where to begin!

Having enjoyed an overnight stay at the Angel two years ago, we thought an on spur of the moment decision for a same day booking would be a good way to spend a weekend in Market Harborough.

We arrived earlier than anticipated at 12:50, but advised the hotel of our arrival just on the off chance the room was available. We were told that housekeeping hadn't released any of the rooms so we decided to enjoy lunch at the Three Swans, which was excellent.

Attempted to check in just before 4:30pm to be asked, did we want the room we'd booked - the reason being the was no room key (only a master) and we would have to be let in. Bizarre as there's a Timpson, who offer key cutting services at St Mary's Place which is all of a few minutes away, however this was just the start.

We enquired where the other rooms were situated, one was in the courtyard and the other was at the rear of the hotel with no view. A little hesitant at this stage we decided to view what was on offer. The first room we were shown wasn't made up and had been left as the previous occupants had left it, it was tiny and we quickly had a look at the twin we'd booked. The room hadn't been cleaned and looked in abandoned state, bedside cabinets littered with junk and simply unacceptable. We were told the room could be cleaned, but a 20 minute fettle wouldn't have made any real difference.

On the previous visit we'd stayed in Room 1, which was a little tired, but clean and with views on to the Market Place. We were offered this room again, but surprise suprise, this also hadn't been cleaned?!?! Finally we opted to look at what I recall was Room 32, situated in the courtyard next to the picnic tables. This room is dreadful, I think the photos on trip adviser already show the state of the bathroom, although added to this the sink was cracked, window blind was broken and at this point we decided that an overnight at this place wasn't for us.

Advised reception that we'd changed our minds and we'd be driving back to Sunny Sheffield, we did comment that room was never worth £60, although we're told they are normally £80!!!

Finally we had our card payment refunded by the Assistant Manager, with the 50p Card Payment Premium refunded as though was a goodwill gesture!

Suggest you read the other recent reviews in here before booking. Not sure what room photos are shown on the hotel website, but these are NOT representable of the rooms which we've seen.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank Andrew P
    Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stay at The Angel when on business in the area. I usually have a single room and I have never found anything to complain about at all. It's a hotel that has character. It is old hence squeaky floor boards and small rooms. I find that endearing in a hotel rather than the clinical faceless multi chains.
    Breakfast was delicious and the staff friendly but not in your face friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
    2  Thank Elfy101
    Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Went to this hotel with high expectations, given the photos of the lovely rooms. Alas unless you luck out and get one of the nice rooms your room will be firmly at the other end of the scale. Small and cramped, with a very dingy bathroom (see shower pics!), balding carpet, ridiculously uneven floorboards, curtains that only just cover the window, cracks in the ceiling and a mattress which reminded me of the one I had in rented student accommodation - it had seen better days and did not give a good nights sleep! All in all a disappointment, shame as staff seemed nice and the pub was good for a pint. I didn't try the food.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple