“See you again in the summer!”
Review of Maud Foster Mill

Maud Foster Mill
Ranked #7 of 27 things to do in Boston
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I love working flour mills whether wind or water I love um! I didn't do my homework on this occasion to check on opening times and days when open, we arrived at the Maud Foster mill at 4-55pm, they normally close at 5 pm, but I need not have worried, I was given a full tour of the mill, completely unhurried, and full of information. I wanted to buy flour, but we had walked to the mill from our hotel leaving the car behind, so to carry upwards of 25 Kilos of flour over two miles would have made my wife's arms ache ( only joking) so we arranged with the miller to return next day, with the car. The mill wasn't officially open the next day but the miller was on the premises and I finally got my flour. Many thanks to both millers, we shall see you again in the summer!

All reviews
"well worth the visit"
"small shop"
"fascinating place"

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Worth a visit, owner very pleasant and informative. Still grinding flower and selling in the shop. Great views of that part of Boston and the river. Well kept and fully working.

1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 1 May 2014

With our narrowboat Epiphany moored only about 100 yards from the Windmill, it was just a short walk to visit this glorious working Windmill. We were show around by the owner's father and felt as if he had all day to explain things to us if we wanted it. Floor by floor (there are seven) we could see and smell all that now goes on - the family had restored the Rickett's Mill by 1988 after a pause of 40 years.

Emerging eventually back at the bottom, slightly floury, we were shown equal care by the miller himself.

The only downside was that there was virtually no wind, so we could not see the grinding process. However, we saw all the machinery, the stones, the flours and the millers. Needless to say we came away with a bag of some stoneground flour and a fresh loaf sits cooling tantalisingly in the galley. Mmmmm!

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

It was a pleasure to visit this windmill. We were amazed by the shear power created by wind. The windmill is a working example so care needs to be taken when viewing and climbing the stairs but well worth the visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

How disappointed we were! Over priced entry fee. Shop assistant with no customer skills and apparently little ability to smile. Two chaps present within the windmill yet they provided NO assistance. In their absence, although they knew we were visiting, we received no further guidance other than we must mind the beams overhead. There's no signage to provide historical relevance and as importantly information relating to the machinery, on each level of the windmill, to provide information as to the workings of the mill. A complete rip off! 2 adults and 3 children left very disappointed.

JamestheMiller, Owner at Maud Foster Mill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your visit and am surprised you did not like our shop assistant who is a pleasant young lady. I was one of the two people in the mill and yes we did tell you to mind your head on the beams but we also said we would be happy to answer questions - one of us was up the mill during your visit. You also did not mention that the windmill was at work by windpower whilst you were here and that you could see the processes in action. We are always happy to explain and answer visitors questions but we have a policy here of being present but allowing people to look at the mill at their leisure. Most of our visitors enjoy the freedom we give them. There are no display boards or interpretation as we are not a museum but a fully working commercial flour mill. A family ticket ( 2 adults, 2 children) here costs £10 which I do not consider unreasonable. It is a great pity you did not mention how clearly unhappy you were with your visit whilst here because we would have been able to explain how we do things.
I imagine you will not wish to return but if you do we would be delighted show you and your family around free of charge
James Waterfield