“Large starters but tough steaks”
Review of Witham Tavern

Witham Tavern
Ranked #55 of 170 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Old style English pub / restaurant serving homemade food Cask ales , child friendly, riverside location Free function room all functions catered for weddings, christenings, funeral buffets £5.00 per head
Boston, United Kingdom
“Large starters but tough steaks”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My partner had been given a voucher to spend in the pub as birthday present so we decided to try the steak night. The pub wasn't very busy and we were quickly shown to a table after brandishing the gift voucher. The young waitress was either new or just inexperienced but pleasant. I ordered a pint of cask beer and my better half had slimline tonic, the beer was excellent and excellent value at £2.50 for the pint. We placed our food order, I requested garlic mushrooms in a creamy sauce and my better half had the prawn cocktail, both enormous and good value at £3.95. My partner ordered the turf and surf and I the 10 oz rump steak. Both steaks were cooked to our liking but mine was chewy and my partner's was tough and after a struggle left most of it. The landlady asked re the steak and went to the kitchen to try it herself, she agreed that it was sinewy and hard to cut. We were not charged for that steak and then we went for a stroll along the riverside. This was our third visit here and it proved to be the worst, but we hope for better if we call again.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Malcybabe

“Lunch”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

OK food much of muchness .I have heard sunday lunch very good but not tried it. it was empty when I visited but I hear it is lively in evenings

Visited July 2014
“wallpaper paste”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Two soups ordered and sent back as they were almost solid. Main courses were ok but had obviously been pre cooked and re heated. "Chef" was new , 1st day, but one wonders if he had ever seen soup before. Room was empty apart from us, a sign to the landlady maybe that all is not as it should be ?

Visited June 2014
2 Thank georgepearson
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant hospitality”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

After a lovely walk by the riverbank supper here was brilliant. Not knowing the local beer we were offered a little of each to try before deciding and it was great. Wonderful moist crisp fish and chips outside watching the world go by served by happy and efficient staff. Even the dog had ice cubes in his water bowl! Can't wait to return.

• Visited May 2014
“Steak night”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Having been before and was not impressed we thought we would try it again as they had a new chef, my husband had the special rump steak at £7.95 it was the best he's had for a long time and I can say the same about my chicken. We have also had Sunday lunch there at £5.95 great value for money.

• Visited May 2014