“Disgusting!!!”
Review of The Green Man

The Green Man
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Louth
The Green Man
Ranked #19 of 20 Louth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The only word I can use to describe this place, "Disgusting". A group of six of us called in simply for a coffee on route. Greeted by the Doberman jumping up at the front door (although friendly) and the Landlord sat at the bar drinking and smoking, no welcome was received, no lights on in a dark and dingy room which smells of smoke and dog!! We felt that in ordering four coffees and a pint we were a huge inconvenience to the Landlord,seemingly interupting his own drink and his viewing of the television. Thankfully it was nice enough weather to sit outside and consume our drinks,would never return again and wouldn't recommend anyone else going.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank paul j

Reviewed 23 September 2013

When you approach the front door you are greeted by the resident rottweiller dog. He's a lovely dog but smelly and the whole pub smells of him. The landlord and landlady are surly and dour, both with long grey hair and shabby clothing. We planned on eating here and were looking at the 'specials' board and the landlord came over shouting "patience!!!! I will bring the menus". Why have a specials board if you don't want anyone looking at it? The board was just a copy of the menu anyway. I ordered veggie lasagne with salad no chips. When it came it was obviously a frozen store bought one, not very warm and just dumped on the side of the plate. I asked where the salad was - "Patience!!!!" he shouted again "Patience is a virtue!" he said. The salad arrived in a separate bowl. I took the tomato, onion and some peppers off but the lettuce underneath was all brown so I left that. My friends ate their meals so it was passable. We didn't tempt fate and have a sweet though. The landlord sat at the other bar quietly drinking spirits from a 'brown' glass, which looked like it had been hanging around from the 'old' days when you could smoke in a pub. When another customer came in she asked for a meal and he said "I have to feed this lot first so you'll have a long wait!" Charm is not his forte! The lights were all off apart from a couple over the bar. The room where we ate was in darkness whilst he set up the tables (there were 8 of us) and he only put the lights on when we were due to go in and eat. Clearly he is drinking any profit the pub makes (if any) and basics like cleaners, electricity etc are very rarely used! Strangely enough though we found this experience very entertaining and although the place is dour and the food just basic and we dread to think what the state of the kitchen was, it will always be a source of conversation in years to come. Where not to eat!

Room Tip: Go for the laughs and just to experience the 'fawlty towers' manners! I wouldn't eat her...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank BarbnLaura
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here because it was within a mile of Cadwell Park and it was bike friendly but it was very dated, dingy and basic. The Rottweiler was rampant as my husband's leg found out and our bedroom was not en-suite, we shared with god knows how many others (in fact it looked like it was the landlord and landlady's own bathroom with tatty towels, toothbrushes and personal items). We had a bed with clean bedding thankfully but no dressing table, mirror or wardrobe (just a clothes rail with a couple of old hangers). The cooked breakfast was passable but the landlord who cooked it looked like he could do with a good wash himself which didn't fill us with much confidence about the cleanliness of the kitchen. For £60 this was not good value for money or an acceptable price.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank poshbirdSwindon
Reviewed 22 June 2013

If only I had looked on Tripadvisor before booking to stay here!. All of the previous comments are entirely valid (except the dog is a Rottweiler not a Doberman). All in all this would be the last place I would dream of returning to after a recent trip. The place stinks of dog, the food is terrible, the beer worse (cloudy lager, flat Guinness) and the welcome from the landlord can only be described as rude and flatly unwilling to meet his customers needs. The landlord sits at the bar like a customer and joins in conversations without being invited, spends his evening switching channels on the too loud tv and refusing to control his over amorous (but it has to be said, otherwise pretty friendly Rottweiler).
Their website advertises a warm welcome but the place was anything but welcoming - walking into the bar on my own to check in was like walking into "Royston Vasey". I have to say that the bedroom was reasonably clean, but the shared facilities (complete with all of the landlords personal gear - toothbrushes, razor, out of date toiletries, etc,) were only just acceptable (unless you actually want a shower that is - it runs scalding hot or cold and nothing in between) and the lack of a lock on the bedroom door was disconcerting. At least with the dog rearing up at all newcomers and barking at every movement I felt it was unlikely that anyone would be breaking in. I would have noticed though, as the incessantly squeaky floorboards would give it away.
After an unpleasant microwaved meaI in the evening I didn't dare risk a breakfast cooked by the landlord so arranged to have a bacon sarnie to take away (also as he was unable to meet a simple request to have breakfast 15 mins earlier than his 'normal time' to allow me to get to an appointment (despite this being requested when I booked the room) - the bacon sandwich proved inedible due to the number of his hairs that had made their way between the bread along with the single rasher of bacon!.
I can't see this place surviving - the only clientele must be first timers who, like me have little alternative but to stay there - I can't imagine anyone being willing to stay there twice!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank DianeandMartin
Reviewed 22 June 2013

As we were attending a 2 day event at nearby Cadwell park, thought this would be ideal. After a 5 hour journey my colleague and I agreed a drink at the bar would go down rather well. Ignoring the pungent smell of dog in the air, the pint of lager duly arrived very cloudy, 'that'll be the new barrel' the landlord explained, however, was then very reluctant to change it. Whilst our eyes were getting used to the darkness with the only illumination provided by the TV in the corner ( to which the landlord was constantly changing channels even if you were watching one of them), I then suffered the rather unpleasant experience of finding a 9 stone Rottweiler attached to my leg grinding up and down leaving a laceration which drew blood! 'oh he does get a bit boisterous, does our Alfie' remarked the landlord.
On a number of occasions were asked for an early breakfast as we had to be at Cadwell for 7:30, to which the landlord replied 'I always do breakfast for 7:15, you'll be there in plenty of time!' This seems to ignore the fact the you must eat it first before traveling, therefore we ordered a bacon sandwich to take away. The room was small but clean, with a kettle ready for use on the floor (see other comments about room/bathroom/grandfather clock). On the second night we returned to find beds not made and no clean towels. Next morning left rapidly feeling hungry so opened the wrapping on the sandwich and yes found bread, some bacon and human hair as a garnish!

I really do love dogs, I really do, but unfortunately the landlord doesn't have a 'scooby doo'

Room Tip: Bring a caravan and stay in the car park!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shabbatee
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Upon opening the door to the bar the first thing to greet you is the Doberman sniffing you up and down, the second is the smell of cigarette smoke along with the thin blue line just under the ceiling. Dark , dingy with a TV blaring away in the corner.
My twin room was very cramped even though I was on my own, very dusty with hairs from the previous occupant still in evidence. No lock on the door and just a mobile hanging rail for clothes. The room smelt musty along with the smell of stale cigarette smoke this was a general theme throughout the building.
The grandfather clock on the landing chiming every 15mins throughout the night does not give for a good night's sleep !
The shared bathroom was cluttered with several other people’s toiletries etc,
The owner was surly rude and disagreeable

BIG MISTAKE, QUITE SIMPLY A PLACE TO BE AVOIDED !!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Pete S
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Called in after a walk the other evening. Only one bar, dimly lit, the other in total darkness. Place smelled of dog, not surprising as the owner's doberman was sprawled across the floor. Landlord made rude remarks to my wife when she couldn't find the 'ladies', then he had an argument with his wife. All this, and the television blaring away. We felt as if we were intruding in someone's sitting room.
Should have known not to visit, as nothing had changed since our visit last year – except a different programme on TV.
And people actually spend the night there?

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends