“Still fun!” 4 of 5 bubbles

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Still fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

On my first trip to the Dales in 2000, I took my 10-year old son to the Forbidden Corner and he loved it - never forgot it! When we returned to vacation in the Dales last week, that now 22-year old "kid" couldn't wait to go back and show his girlfriend one of his childhood favorites! It's changed a lot - they've added more follies and enlarged the giftshop and added a large restaurant - but it didn't detract from the over-all fun. Even old fogies like me and my husband enjoyed our wander - getting lost, trying to out-wit the water traps, and taking in the lovely views offered at various points.

Listen, if you don't like mazes and creative follies, don't go. It's that simple. Yes, there are lots and lots of children - they are noisy and they are sometimes not the most considerate little beings, especially when they're on "missions" to find clues to the way out - but this is clearly a venue geared toward kids, so you need to expect noisy, excited children. The Dales doesn't offer a tremendous amount of child-geared amusements so this is a great little place for them to run around - especially if they're on holiday and have been dragged from This Castle to That Abbey.

The food is NOT 5-star..it's your basic burger-and-fries, sandwiches, smoothies. If this doesn't suit you, pack a lunch and eat in the beautiful park!

The folly is very well-maintained and clean, but expect to get wet, and a little dirty!

Durham
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Lived up to expectations!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

We booked up at a time when the weather had been horrendous and were worried that if it continued our trip would be ruined. However we had good weather and a really enjoyable afternoon - we didn't see everything - we were a bit tired after a couple of hours wandering around but we are happy to come back again to find out what we missed! The food in the cafe was acceptable and not too expensive.

1 Thank rufusnine
leom76, Grand Wizard at The Forbidden Corner, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to respond on trip advisor . Brave gusest you have survived my Maze and folly for this I congratulate you.

We look forward to seeing you again

Stoln Cairngorm
England
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Wouldn't go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Five of us went after reading other reviews, but we were a little dissapointed, just not as good as we expected it to be, more so after a 215 mile round trip! More suited for kids aged 8 - 15 yrs I think. You could go in and out as often as you like so I suppose its money well spent if you have children, you could easily stay for a few hours and enjoy a picnic. We thought the cafe was overpriced, so pack up your flask and sandwiches!! We wouldn't return unless we had children to accompany.
We also noticed how difficult it was for baby buggy;s, some of the tunnels just weren't wide enough unless you fold up the prams/buggy's.

2 Thank Alicejude
Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Forbidden Corner.

I am glad you found us good value for money sounds like you had a really long journey to get to us. Maybe next time you could take advantage of our accommodation and stay a few nights with us to give you full time to explore the area.

After completing market research into other tourist attractions we feel that the Café food is really good quality and is of average price. We source the Pies from award winning pie makers in Leeds who outside of their shop ONLY produce for us. Our tea is from Taylors of Harrogate and are individually wrapped for freshness ( I have seen cafes where they have a big bucket of pg tips out the back ) ! Also our coffee is a special blend of Ecuadorian beans that we chose in a blind tasting. I could go on…………..

We do offer and invest in tables and chairs on our picnic stes for people not wanting the café . Also we sell take away cold drinks and hot if you wish.

Many Thanks

Stoln Cairngorm
Middlesbrough
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great day, even without children!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Went to the Forbidden Corner with other young adults, and it's an amazing day out! Full of lots of quirky things to see and do, and lovely views of deer-filled fields at the time. You can spend a good part of the day here, and there is plenty of space for a picnic if you want to take your own food. To some it may seem expensive but you get what you ay for- It's a very individual and unusual place, with lots of surprises :-)

Visited January 2012
Many Many thanks for your review .

I thought it was very balanced and positive.

Thanks for visiting us
Bradford, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A brilliant afternoon out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I visited The Forbidden Corner for the second time yesterday. My husband, our three eldest grandchildren and myself were there last year. This time we took our sons, our daughters-in-law and all four grandchildren. We all had a wonderful time including the little one who is almost 3 years old. Admittedly he was a little scared at first when we went into the dark passages but soon got used to it. My eight year old granddaughter said she had been looking forward to the day out all week and all the kids including our grown up ones had a truly wonderful time.

I consider this to be one of the best attractions I have been to in years. It is just so different to anywhere else I have been. It's like a treasure hunt with a twist! I personally think it is excellent value for money and have already recommended it to all my friends. Those who have subsequently been have thanked me for pointing it out to them.

Great fun for children and for bringing out the 'inner child' in us grown ups. Plus it doesn't matter if you don't have any children to bring, it would suit groups of adults.

Sadly, the nature of quite a lot of the tunnels/passageways do not suit wheelchairs or pushchairs but there is no way they could be altered to allow them without completely spoiling the effect.