“excellent, something different to do!”

The Forbidden Corner
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Middleham
Reviewed 16 September 2010

we are a couple aged 25 & 27, we are always looking to find places for days out together. As I enjoy photography I thought this place would be great for some good shots. It was better than that. We had a great day out, admittedly you need dry weather as most of it is outside. The place is basically a giant maze with lots of little doors that lead to wierd places, some underground, some above ground. There are places that squirt water at you, and a little river type thing with stepping stones. Lots of the areas underground are dark but exciting. Every door opens up to somewhere different, i.e a mouse pub, a greek fountain. There are allsorts in the wooded area outside. The only thing I would change is I would go a bit later. I dont want to offend anyone but there were lots of chavvy teenagers runing round at the beginnning of our trip but they left around 2.30pm to catch their school coach back. Other than that I had no issues, and this isnt exactly the places fault! Admission is by pre bought tickets only, on the net or via phone, for set admission times. You can however stay as long as you like, until closing of course. Such a strange place to explain, you have to see it to understand. Well worth the money. Definately not for people with mobility problems and I saw no disabled access. I would definately go again. Car park is free, and there is a picnic area. Small gift shop, with cafe which we didnt try so I cant comment on that.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,628)

Reviewed 30 August 2010

Visited Forbidden Corner with 3x6 year olds, 1x5 year old, 1x2 year old and 4 adults, this is a garden with a difference it is in essence a maze which is cleverly laid out. You have to book a time slot for your adventure, earlier would be better but we arrived at 15:00 and this worked out fine. The garden was busy but not overly crowded and I think this was due to the booking system. You are given a booklet that contains a list of things to find, don’t try and tick these off in order, just explore and keep your eyes open. The kids at first did not get it, but soon they were dragging us around exploring down each path. At one point the party got separated and it took 2 hours to find each other. The mad part was we were rarely more than a hundred meters apart!
We were grateful it was forecast rain, as we had dressed in full wet weather gear and let’s just say it didn’t rain while we were there, but we certainly got wet!! I think older children will find it more exciting than the young ones, as you could let them run of and explore on their own. We had to keep the younger adventures in our party under control, as it was all very exciting for them and they just wanted to run to the next surprise! Only downside for us was that we had our 2 year old in a backpack and it was difficult to navigate around the tighter narrower areas of the garden and bless him he did end up with a nasty bump on his head. We also noticed the gravel hilly paths were proving hard work for push chairs and wheelchairs.
We ended the day with a well earned cuppa and cake in the cafe all very agreeable and the prices were not too high. All in all we had a fantastic time and very enjoyable afternoon. If you’re looking for a day out with a difference give it a try!

Reviewed 31 July 2010

I had found this through the trip advisor site a couple of years ago and wanted so much to go... Well this year I was successful, and what a wonderful place it is.

It is great fun to walk round and try to locate the paths you should follow.... be warned there is some water involved! Though my very kind boyfriend decided after us having worked out the sensors.... to get me wet!!

This place is great... I think you could go back time and time again and still see it differently each time. We will be visiting next year when we are back over that way.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

-loved it! highest recommendation, 2 kids age 9 and 12, two parents, two grandparents in our group
-avoid going when it's crowded, ie school groups, best explored when it's not to busy so you can discover all the treats yourself
-not good for people with impaired mobility, b/c of stairs, tight passageways, uneven footing in places
-take the time to find all the hidden passageways

Reviewed 11 July 2010

We visited this on a lovely sunny Friday afternoon. There were 5 of us, 2 adults, a 5 year old, a 2 year old and a 1 year old (plus a pushchair) and we were aware before booking that it wasn't exactly pushchair friendly but decided to give it a try and fold up the pushchair where required.

The first few attractions were great, but unfortunately despite having an allocated time slot for arrival, the place was very, very, very busy with school trips (there were 6 coaches in the car park and at least 3 different schools there) and this totally spoiled the entire experience for us, and for the other families with younger children there.

We did manage, at a push, with the pushchair however after 40 minutes we did give up as it was just too busy and we were sick of being constantly shoved aside by over-zealous 8 year olds with adult helpers who did anything but look after the group of children they were allocated.

When we left there were 3 other families making the same point we were attempting to make when leaving - that we were under the impression that the timeslot idea was to prevent the place being so busy it became beyond difficult to navigate in a fun way, unfortunately as all of the staff apeared to be under 18 they didn't really care less (although good luck to the girl who, although had a uniform on and looked as though she should work there, spent the entire time we stood and waited to be served telling someone on the telephone that she had her driving test in a week and all of the difficulties she is currently having with her driving instructor)

This would have been a lot of fun for our children if it hadn't been so badly managed (time wise) by the management - we booked our tickets in March for our timeslot and we were bitterly disappointed and felt our money was wasted.

4  Thank Superdella
leom76, consultant at The Forbidden Corner, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2010

I am really sorry to hear your bad experience and thank you for your time writing a review . I take your comments very seriously and will be bringing them up in our next management meeting.