“Dining That's Just Right”
Review of The Blue Lion

The Blue Lion
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Witton
Thirsk, United Kingdom
“Dining That's Just Right”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

An early evening supper on a chilly, November night.
As ever, efficient staff, fire ablaze, a fine atmosphere, red wines served at the right temperature, food delicious and hearty, a bill that's neither cheap nor overpriced but a proprietar who takes time to ensure all's just right; even when you're not one of the local dignitaries. Thank you Paul. It's nice that my custom is appreciated. Others could take a lesson.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

I used to come here years ago, so it was a trip down memory lane for me. Last time I stayed they hadn't got the Courtyard rooms. Tried to book a large room but all were taken so ended up in a petite double. I have to say, it was petite and I wouldn't have wanted to stay longer than a weekend (lost count of the times my husband and I said 'excuse me' to each other!). Nevertheless, the room was beautifully appointed and the bathroom really cute with the tiniest sink I have ever seen. The dinner was every bit as good as I remembered, as was breakfast. The only mild irritation was at breakfast. Breakfast was served until 10 am and we got down at around 9.30 am. Staff took ages to take our order and then ages to serve it. One of the staff, a Scot, started to clear up around us and we sensed irritation that we were still eating and ruining his routine! Anyway, apart from that, we had a wonderful stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cheshire, England
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We have just spent a weekend at this beautiful old coaching inn with friends. We had one of the original rooms at the front of the building and our friends had a new room. Both rooms were more than adequate. There were lovely open fires even at breakfast time, great stone floors and perfect food and wine. The staff were extremely courteous and nothing was too much trouble. We look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

If you were looking for the archetypal country inn - The Blue Lion fits the bill. Stone; open fires; great ales on tap; lovely bar and restaurant food; little snug bar; and overlooking the village green in East Witton in the heart of Wensleydale. It's also a hotel - the annex rooms are a tad dark; furniture a little drab and dated; lighting a bit tired - but it was clean and had everything you would need for a couple of nights in the dales. The restaurant food was good - not exceptional - and if I am honest, I think the whole place is just about in need of a facelift. Having said all that - reading the Sunday papers in the bar with a pint of Theakstons Best Bitter was just wonderful. Staff were friendly and helpful and it's not hard to see why the place is so popular. Not sure we would stay there again but would certainly stop off for a pint and a bite to eat......

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Media1994
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stay here for occasional nights when on business visits and have never been disappointed with the quality of the meals. The choice is great,the service is personal and breakfast is bespoke. As for the accommodation I prefer the newer rooms in the annex to the rear but the rooms in the main block are OK, if a little small and dated (although in character of course). This location appears to be popular with hikers/ walkers/ ramblers - no surprise given the surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: The annex rooms are modern and very nice but involve a short walk in the open to the pub itself - on...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I stumbled upon this pub after coming over the moors on a minior road and there was thepub at the junction ot the minor road with the main road

We stopped for lunch and were very pleased with the meal. My wife she so enjoyed it, is still talking about here fish medley two weeks later. The Black Sheep beer was good too. very reasonable price considering the quality and the huge spotlessy white napkins prvided to our table outside where we overlooked the village green

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Barcelona
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Congratulations first of all on your well deserved accolade as Good Food Pub of The Year 2014..We like to go for lunch on a Saturday when we know can take our border terrier in the bar with us where she is most welcome and even gets a sausage sometimes ! We took two dogs this Saturday and received our usual warm welcome and impeccable service from all the staff. We opted to have the two course meal which is excellent value at£15.50. The meal was preceded with the usual warm home baked rolls and melba toast and white linen napiery , much appreciated and highly unusual when eating in a bar anywhere. We shared a duck terrine with warm brioche, mulled chutney and salad leaves.My husband had the duck confit with a bean cassoulet and I had the most delicious poached fish medley with samphire and creamy cheese mash. Yum yum. We finished off with a really good rhubarb and ginger cheesecake. Everything was hot , well cooked and extremely tasty. The other thing I like is that they serve a really light and refreshing rose in a 50cl carafe. I think The Blue Lion is head and shoulders above the normal pub environment although I appreciate this is reflected in the price and the extensive range of food on offer. Look forward to returning soon. PS The homemade pork pie and piccalilli is really good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
The Boar's Head
The Boar's Head
#1 of 1 in Ripley
The Frenchgate Restaurant & Hotel

Been to The Blue Lion? Share your experiences!