“A Little Gem”

The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nettlebed
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed on a 2 night Groupon deal, and were delighted with what we found. An imaginative bar/restaurant/hotel, and it would score well on any of the three styles.
We stayed in room 1, which had access to a lovely garden area through a French door. It would be lovely in the summer, although a bit nippy in March. Although the room is to the front, we weren't aware of any excessive noise. We maybe sleep better than we think we do. The bed was soft and comfy for me although my wife prefers a firmer mattress, but, hey, she slept pretty well too. The room was spotless, with a choice of teas and the shower room had a range of nice toiletries, although I agree that the shower couldn't be described as "powerful"
Good wines on offer in the restaurant and the menu was imaginative with the S African influence making it that wee bit different. I don't think the chef is the greatest chef in the country, but he/she's not as bad as some are reporting. I thought that the staff were professional and efficient, and not at all "poncey" which I appreciate.
The negatives........the radiator wasn't working in the room, but a heater was quickly delivered as a stop gap, and I think the rodent traps might be a placed a bit more discreetly on the pathways to the room.
I wouldn't think twice about booking again, a wonderful base for Henley, Marlow, Oxford etc etc.
Well done to the owners and management, their imagination makes this hotel that bit different to other establishments in the same price bracket, and all the better for it too.

Room Tip: No.1 has a private garden area with garden furniture to allow you to enjoy an English summer evening...
2  Thank Jim C

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We frequently drop in to the White Hart for lunch after a bracing walk in the Oxfordshire countryside. The beer is well kept and the food is always good quality and reasonably priced. We will beep there again this Friday!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My other half and I stayed here this weekend via secret escapes deal - I have to say we were very impressed.

The building itself is well presented - attention to detail is clear, and it's very clean and tidy. The room we stayed in (Caramel suite) was absolutely immaculate and very modern (and I'm pretty fussy). The bed was huge and comfortable, the bathroom was pretty big too with a huge deep free-standing bath. A tip though: if you're in the Caramel suite, remember to close the front-door curtains when you shower/bath, or you'll flash anyone walking past if you wander out of the bathroom air-drying (unless you get a kick out of it, in which case, crack on).

The bar/restaurant area also presents a great atmosphere - it's warm and inviting, and you could easily pass several hours sitting chatting over a few drinks. One minor negative point - almost £5 for a pint of Peroni is pretty steep, and I'm used to Stratford upon Avon prices! Needless to say I only had the one. Having said that, when we asked for an ice bucket to take to our room as we'd brought a bottle of our own, the manager was only too happy to provide it.

Which brings me to my main point - the manager, Gary, never stopped the entire time we were there. We were greeted with a pleasant and friendly welcome on arrival; we weren't just processed and churned out. Gary was there at the beginning, at dinner, at breakfast the next day, and when we checked out - the man is a machine and deserves to be recognised for how hard he works. All of the other staff we encountered on the bar and in the restaurant are equally worth praising - all polite, friendly, and eager to help.

Food was also excellent - the Mrs had a sirloin and I had a rib-eye; they were cooked medium-rare perfectly and well presented (props to the chef!). The full English the next day was great too - not a greasy fry-fest like lots of places, but genuinely tasty and all freshly cooked (no hours sitting under a heat-lamp). A slight moan of mine, but the cheapest bottle of wine with dinner was £19 - maybe a touch high but this is obviously highly subjective (and perhaps a reflection on how tight the other half says I am). It was very nice though!

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would definitely stay there again. It's easy to find, and well-placed if you want to visit Henley on Thames (though to save you a trip: there's a river, a Sainsbury's Local, and a Pizza Express). All in all, a superb weekend - thank you again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a bath!
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went here this weekend on a 3 day groupon deal was a bit worried with some of the reviews all I can say is dont know where these people stayed as cant of been here as it was really top notch we booked late and the superior room we had paid for was booked for all 3 nights so I aid I was prepared to move to double with ensuite for the middle night and move back on last night they was happy with that after seeing the double the next day we decided to stay in that room for the other 2 days as it lovely a lttle bit smaller and a smaller TV but otherwise great. And to the reviewer who comment on the food as to a Harvester please tll me what Harvester you use and I will dine there all the time as the food was fantastic fresh hot and great choice, well presented and with a smiley waitor, the same for the breakfast you only had to ask and you could swop and change your breakfast, nothing was ever too much trouble for any of the staff the manager gary was so helpful all the time. Even if this hadnt been a groupon deal I would have been happy to pay full price and we WILL be returning. I havr travelled all over and stayed at many suposingly 5* Hotels and been dissapointed this didnt dissapoint even though not a 5* Hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are up steep staircases if you have mobilty problems please let me know so you are...
1  Thank zena1232014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This is the second time we have stayed here and once again a very pleasant stay, lovely room with huge bed and roll top bath. Food was excellent both dinner and breakfast. Already booked to go back in May. Thankyou White Hart for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Rooms with a bath
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night break and like lots of others this was a groupon deal. All in all a very good offer. The champagne offered as part of the deal was actually very nice and seemed even nicer when we noticed on the wine list that it is offered at £50 a bottle! However the food was a bit of a let down. I had the crayfish stack which was incredibly bland - the fact that it was served very cold straight from the fridge probably didn't help the flavours. My husband had the combination grill (piri-piri prawns, half a chicken and pork ribs) and to be honest whilst edible, it had "harvester" written all over it which is not quite in keeping with the "home cooked South African theme" the menu tempts you with! It was also served within 5 minutes of ordering! However these things are relative and therefore because we paid effectively £55 per night (taking off the champagne) and dinner was free we weren't about to complain..however had I been presented with a bill for £70 for dinner I would have felt robbed.
Breakfast was again ok, although on the day we checked out we chose to skip it and went the Field Cafe 150yds up the road - gorgeous little place with great food and a lovely shop selling lots of shabby chic homewares. I agree with the previous review about the decor of some parts - the beams in the restaurant are painted brown (?!) and the carpet a little odd - they have gone half way with the decor (cow hide chairs) but need to go the whole hog if you'll pardon the pun!
Moving on to our room (6 - Saffron) this was lovely (no beams to paint brown or otherwise and very tastefully decorated) There was no bath (and I knew that when I booked it) but a lovely bathroom although as others have said the shower pressure isn't great but it was adequate and I wouldn't say "a trickle" as others may. There is definitely some traffic noise (although it was understandably much less on Saturday morning). It was not bad enough to wake me but because I woke at 4am, it didn't help with trying to get back to sleep! The bed was very comfy and the flat screen tv in a great position to watch from it! I would also say that the room was spotlessly clean. All in all it was good value for the room and champagne alone and given that the rooms generally appear to.be under £100 I would probably return if visiting the area, but would eat elsewhere!

Room Tip: If you really can't abide any traffic noise you need to ask for a room in the newly built block...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed at The White Hart for three nights as part of the groupon deal. We arrived at 2pm, although check in is from 3pm, and were told there was no way we would be able to check in early. This wasn't really too much of a problem so we popped over to Henley and had a wander for a few hours. (There are some lovely little shops, cafés and restaurants in Henley and we would certainly visit there again!)

We returned to The White Hart and were quickly checked in and shown to our room (7) which was at the front of the building. There was a roll top bath in the room and a fabulous, huge sleigh bed which was incredibly comfortable. Everything has been painted an odd beige/biscuit colour, which is such a shame as it covers all the old beams and completely gets rid of the character of the building. The mix of furniture and knick knacks is also very odd, nothing seems to be in keeping with the wonderful old building you are staying in. There was a lot of noise from the road, but as we live in a town centre location this really didn't bother us at all. We did find the room incredibly hot which was strange as there were no radiators on in the room! Never had that in such an old building... My advice to the owners of this place would be to checkout Byfords in Holt, Norfolk and see what they have done with an amazing old building!

We had a three course meal on night one of our stay, honestly can't fault the meal or the service from the waitresses. Breakfast was also very nice although if you ask for anything different to the three cooked breakfast options they tend to get it wrong! Minor problems and all dealt with very well.

We ate in Henley and Oxford on the other nights of our stay. Oxford is a beautiful city with so many sights, the Ashmolean museum is beautiful.

Overall I would recommend The White Hart as somewhere to use as a base if you were travelling locally but I would probably choose to stay elsewhere if I returned to the area, purely because we like to try different places.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nettlebed
The Cherry Tree Inn
The Catherine Wheel
The Catherine Wheel
#2 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
#1 of 2 in Dorchester-on-Thames

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!