“Avoid Room no.1 like the plague”

The White Hart Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nettlebed
Truro, United Kingdom
“Avoid Room no.1 like the plague”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a voucher deal and even this did not make it good value. The one positive for the White Hart is the food and provided that you do not mind being served by a rather surly waiter, I would recommend the restaurant.

I will not repeat the problems with room1, as these have been adequately covered by others that have frequented it. I would just add to their observations that besides noise from traffic, during our stay, a member of staff, who wears pit boots, was occupying the room above ours. This meant that we were woken after midnight, then again at around 0600 hrs.

From other's remarks, I gather that there is an ongoing problem with the heating in this room. On the second time of asking, the duty manager came and fiddled with the radiator and raised the boiler pressure (?), which had a minimal effect on the room temperature. This problem had been there for some months and should have been dealt with.

Unlike Arnie, "We'll NOT be back !"

Room Tip: If you must go, avoid room 1
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Oldagetraveller1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked for a two night Travelzoo deal, we did not get a welcoming reception. The room was large BUT lighting was poor, there was no dressing table and us ladies like or must have one! No light over mirror in bathroom for shaving, for the men. The shower had no power behind it, took forever to wash hair and if you didn't want to wash hair there was no shower cap plus shower head was not adjustable. This is the first hotel we have stayed in that didn't have a box of tissues.
Breakfast was poor, cereals were basic a bowel of fresh fruit salad and you had to ask for yogurt, the cooked breakfast was not good bacon HARD, tomato just about cooked, sausage poor quality. We complained about bacon it was replaced with another hard portion.
The evening meal however was good.
We would not return, we found the owners Father wandered around watching peoples movement, this made you feel uncomfortable. He did not make you feel welcome.

1 Thank FAIRYS
Oxford
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This was the first time we stayed here. We found the food, service and rooms all great. Roll top bath big enough for 2, large tv, large comfy bed and seperate living area. Seperate toilet to shower room. We stayed in the Honey Suite. Going back again tonight...can't wait.

Room Tip: Honey Suite was fab...best in the house!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dromartin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We stayed on a 2 night Groupon deal, and were delighted with what we found. An imaginative bar/restaurant/hotel, and it would score well on any of the three styles.
We stayed in room 1, which had access to a lovely garden area through a French door. It would be lovely in the summer, although a bit nippy in March. Although the room is to the front, we weren't aware of any excessive noise. We maybe sleep better than we think we do. The bed was soft and comfy for me although my wife prefers a firmer mattress, but, hey, she slept pretty well too. The room was spotless, with a choice of teas and the shower room had a range of nice toiletries, although I agree that the shower couldn't be described as "powerful"
Good wines on offer in the restaurant and the menu was imaginative with the S African influence making it that wee bit different. I don't think the chef is the greatest chef in the country, but he/she's not as bad as some are reporting. I thought that the staff were professional and efficient, and not at all "poncey" which I appreciate.
The negatives........the radiator wasn't working in the room, but a heater was quickly delivered as a stop gap, and I think the rodent traps might be a placed a bit more discreetly on the pathways to the room.
I wouldn't think twice about booking again, a wonderful base for Henley, Marlow, Oxford etc etc.
Well done to the owners and management, their imagination makes this hotel that bit different to other establishments in the same price bracket, and all the better for it too.

Room Tip: No.1 has a private garden area with garden furniture to allow you to enjoy an English summer evening...
2 Thank Jim C
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We frequently drop in to the White Hart for lunch after a bracing walk in the Oxfordshire countryside. The beer is well kept and the food is always good quality and reasonably priced. We will beep there again this Friday!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Bidford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My other half and I stayed here this weekend via secret escapes deal - I have to say we were very impressed.

The building itself is well presented - attention to detail is clear, and it's very clean and tidy. The room we stayed in (Caramel suite) was absolutely immaculate and very modern (and I'm pretty fussy). The bed was huge and comfortable, the bathroom was pretty big too with a huge deep free-standing bath. A tip though: if you're in the Caramel suite, remember to close the front-door curtains when you shower/bath, or you'll flash anyone walking past if you wander out of the bathroom air-drying (unless you get a kick out of it, in which case, crack on).

The bar/restaurant area also presents a great atmosphere - it's warm and inviting, and you could easily pass several hours sitting chatting over a few drinks. One minor negative point - almost £5 for a pint of Peroni is pretty steep, and I'm used to Stratford upon Avon prices! Needless to say I only had the one. Having said that, when we asked for an ice bucket to take to our room as we'd brought a bottle of our own, the manager was only too happy to provide it.

Which brings me to my main point - the manager, Gary, never stopped the entire time we were there. We were greeted with a pleasant and friendly welcome on arrival; we weren't just processed and churned out. Gary was there at the beginning, at dinner, at breakfast the next day, and when we checked out - the man is a machine and deserves to be recognised for how hard he works. All of the other staff we encountered on the bar and in the restaurant are equally worth praising - all polite, friendly, and eager to help.

Food was also excellent - the Mrs had a sirloin and I had a rib-eye; they were cooked medium-rare perfectly and well presented (props to the chef!). The full English the next day was great too - not a greasy fry-fest like lots of places, but genuinely tasty and all freshly cooked (no hours sitting under a heat-lamp). A slight moan of mine, but the cheapest bottle of wine with dinner was £19 - maybe a touch high but this is obviously highly subjective (and perhaps a reflection on how tight the other half says I am). It was very nice though!

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would definitely stay there again. It's easy to find, and well-placed if you want to visit Henley on Thames (though to save you a trip: there's a river, a Sainsbury's Local, and a Pizza Express). All in all, a superb weekend - thank you again.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a bath!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went here this weekend on a 3 day groupon deal was a bit worried with some of the reviews all I can say is dont know where these people stayed as cant of been here as it was really top notch we booked late and the superior room we had paid for was booked for all 3 nights so I aid I was prepared to move to double with ensuite for the middle night and move back on last night they was happy with that after seeing the double the next day we decided to stay in that room for the other 2 days as it lovely a lttle bit smaller and a smaller TV but otherwise great. And to the reviewer who comment on the food as to a Harvester please tll me what Harvester you use and I will dine there all the time as the food was fantastic fresh hot and great choice, well presented and with a smiley waitor, the same for the breakfast you only had to ask and you could swop and change your breakfast, nothing was ever too much trouble for any of the staff the manager gary was so helpful all the time. Even if this hadnt been a groupon deal I would have been happy to pay full price and we WILL be returning. I havr travelled all over and stayed at many suposingly 5* Hotels and been dissapointed this didnt dissapoint even though not a 5* Hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are up steep staircases if you have mobilty problems please let me know so you are...
1 Thank zena1232014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nettlebed
The Cherry Tree Inn
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
The Catherine Wheel
The Catherine Wheel
#2 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to The White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!