“Dreadful service and unacceptable meal”
Review of The White Hart

The White Hart
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Nettlebed
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The White Hart seems to be a popular destination for meals. Outside there are five large tables for diners along with a couple of small tables and a more informal gathering of comfortable chairs and low table. The seats are all in the sun and it was a treat for us to be able to sit out in the 20 degrees plus of sunshine to eat our lunch. Having established which table we were sitting at I went inside to get a menu and drinks and was almost put off by the surly and rude attitude of the two staff behind the bar. However, as it was such a lovely day and the road to Henley on Thames was closed due to re-surfacing work I decided to stick with it, especially as the board inside claimed that the White Hart serves the best steaks in the whole of Oxfordshire!
We ordered a steak and fish and chips, claiming to be in home made beer batter. Both dishes were to be served with skin on large chips. I have to say that the steak was reasonably good and it was certainly rare but that is where the positive comments finish. The chips were absolutely disgusting. I found myself wondering whether or not the oil was old because I have never tasted any chips quite like it - and although I persisted and tried a few chips I couldn't eat them. My partner found her chips to be exactly the same poor quality and similarly was unable to eat them. My partners 'fish in home made beer batter' was also disgusting. The batter, suspiciously yellow in colour, was soggy, thick and tasteless. The fish was definitely not fresh.
When I went to pay for the meal I was once again served by a surly, rude man who had the manners and grace of a door mat. I was somewhat surprised by the request to add a gratuity to the payment. The food was awful and no one had asked about the meal quality, including when I was standing at the bar waiting to pay, and the service was the worst I have experienced this year. I said 'no' to adding a gratuity and the surly man never spoke again. I really cannot recommend this restaurant and would caution all would be customers until the owners/managers have done something to improve both customer care and the quality of food being sent to tables.

2  Thank TripMember102016

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Visited for lunch today. Assuming a 'country' atmosphere looking for a local draught cider - the bar boy who had clearly got out of the wrong side of his wall mounted bed sluvernly announced "Strongbow" ( not quite what I was expecting ) I asked what bottled ciders were on offer to be told exasperatedly "Bulmers" he may as well have said "diesel take it or leave it" . It went from bad to worse. Outside table littered with spilt cigarette end from the overflowing dish, filthy table, etc etc. returned to chip-on-shoulder-boy to pay for less than mediocre grub and asked if I wanted to leave a tip. I declined but was tempted to offer - brush up your manners, clean up your eating environment and offer something other than supermarket beverage and service with a scowel.

2  Thank Lissywilts
Reviewed 8 May 2014

as stated we popped out, child free, whilst staying in the area and were pleasantly surprised by the wine list. Didn't eat here but the menu looked good

Reviewed 3 May 2014

20 of us dined at the White hart on Friday 2nd - Charity Lunch club. I was late and the rest of the chaps were already well into their main course - and to a man they were all waxing lyrical about the steaks.....I had a little piece from the next door plate - and indeed it was wow!!

They whistled me up my own steak in 10 minutes, and it was amazing in every respect, taste, texture, beautifully presented, just melted in the mouth. There were some serious people in the room who eat at top restaurants all over the he world and comments like "best steak in 10 years" and "best ever in this country" were flying around.

I didn't have the merguiz sausage starter which everyone also said was sensational - but the sticky toffee pudding and the cheese were also excellent....as was the service....excellent wines too.

No mean feat to get 20 fussy opinionated blokes so enthused

Just as good as the Crown at Playhatch, its sister restaurant at Playhatch

You must go there if you are in the Henley area - it's only 3 miles out - and of course, amke sure you have the steak!!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We came here with friends last night and had a very mediocre meal in a room that was totally devoid of atmosphere. The car park was full but the restaurant almost empty which should have warned us off! We were shunted into a back room with an awful light hanging low over the table. The service was odd as the waiter almost threw the plates down on the table.
The food was OK but nothing special. I felt the cost was high at £120 for four of us with a starter of Fishcakes then mains of Steak and Ale pie, Bream and Seafood Linguine with two Beers, an Orange Juice and a bottle of inexpensive Chilean wine plus 3 coffees.
We won't be back which is sad as we had a very good Christmas Day meal here in 2013.

1  Thank Linda T