“Another lovely stay and I shall return again”
Review of Gairloch Hotel

Gairloch Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Gairloch
Chatham, United Kingdom
“Another lovely stay and I shall return again”
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Having stayed at the Bay Gairloch Hotel before I already knew what a lovely place Gairloch is and how good the hotel. Yet again I was not disappointed.
Our driver Stuart Smith was excellent. He was caring to all and ensured that we had the best time possible. He should be commended for all his hard work in making this an excellent holiday. I have been on quite a few Shearings holidays and can honestly say that he is one of the best drivers that I have holidayed with.
I feel I must comment on the service in the restaurant, usually on my previous visits to this hotel it is very efficiently run but I did feel that on this visit it was not up to the same standard. There did not seem as many waiting staff which led to a few delays. The staff that were on duty worked hard but I felt that there should have been more on duty.
Nevertheless I shall return to Gairloch and have already booked for next year.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
TonyThomas2012, Manager at Gairloch Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you for your comments, it is always good to hear from a returning guests about their experience with us. I look forward to seeing you on your return

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Yorkshire
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed here for a week touring the area by coach. The hotel is in a fabulous position, great views and a beautiful part of Scotland.

We tried to book a sea view room but all were taken and the only option we had was a family room for which we were charged £17.50 extra (each) "under occupancy". The room was clean but very dated and basic. The bathroom had a bath with shower over and the water was always hot, but the bathroom floor covering left a lot to be desired, it looked old and dirty.

The seating in the restaurant was mainly tables for four and the food was mostly OK (except for the roast beef, couldn't cut it and had to leave it).

The service was usually good but we found it a bit strange that we had to wait until both couples on the table had finished each course before we were served the next course, and the vegetables were shared between all of us instead of per couple, which made us feel like we didn't want to take too much and leave the other couple with not enough.

The hotel lounge areas are comfortable but the whole place really needs a lot of money spending on updating.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Trippie3003
TonyThomas2012, Manager at Gairloch Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed our wonderful area.It is standard practise in restaurants to await until all at a table is finished with a course prior to servicing the next, occassionally, with couples on a coach sharing a table of four and dining at the same time the staff will treat as a foursome and therefore serve together. If this is an issue in this or any establishment I would advise you to bring it to the head waiters or my attention to be attention to be rectified
Essex, England
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at the Gairloch Hotel as part of a Shearings Coach Holiday between the 19th to 24th August 2012
This was our 4th holiday with Shearings, although we nearly did not book this one, following our last one in St Ives. Glad we did though, as we had such a lovely time, and the scenery was spectacular.

We had a young Coach Driver named Stuart from the Isle of Wight, he was brilliant from start to finish of the holiday, nothing was too much trouble for him, he had the tea/coffee etc, drinks off to a fine art, everywhere we stopped for a photo opportunity. Something I had not experienced with Shearings before. They need to hold on to this young man, as he is an great asset to the company.

Overnight stay en route was in the centre of Carlisle, lovely Hotel, but noisy until the early hours of the morning, don't know if it was because of the wedding at the hotel, or that it was in the centre of the Carlisle nightlife, and it was a Saturday night.

We arrived at Gairloch at a reasonable time Sunday evening and have to say what a grand looking hotel this is from the outside (see photo's). Like most Shearings Hotels we have stayed at it, needed a bit of TLC inside, however having said that, it was a very comfortable hotel in the lounge areas.

On arriving at our room we were very pleasantly surprised, it was very spacious twin bed room, with a double window, looking out over the bay, a large bathroom with shower, which is what we requested and paid a little extra for. It was very comfortable and had plenty of space to put your clothes. Just wish they would replace those old out of the ark TV's, with a flatscreen, not that we had much time to watch TV. Strange thing is, in the quiet lounge downstairs, which we only found towards the end of our stay, they have a large flat screen TV.

The food is what I have come to expect with Shearings, 3 choices for each course of the evening meal, waiter/waitress served, tea and coffee, you help yourself to in the lounge. The meals are not large, but with 3 courses it helped make up for the one large course we have at home.

Breakfast was the usual buffet style, although tea/coffee, toast and cooked breakfasts, are served direct, promptly and efficiently to your table, as were the evening meals. At times too efficiently. I though the waiter/waitresses were wearing roller skates. A little tip when ordering cooked breakfast, dont just just say cooked breakfast, as you will only get one of each item. State how many sausages or rashers of bacon etc you want, and that is what you will get.

We had evening entertainment of a Scottish flavour on 4 evenings, two of the acts I understand appear on Scottish TV. I had seen all four acts before, when 2 years previous, we had stayed with Shearings in Fort William, still enjoyed them though.

They have 3 full houses of bingo on two nights, which on the first night my wife won two of them.
Our stay was all inclusive, so we had a free glass of wine each with our evening meal, and 4 free drinks voucher each, per evening. Not at the en route hotels.

En route home we stayed overnight at a hotel in Newcastle, my major complant with that hotel was a small bar area, with a lack of seating. Due to this we finished up going back to our room. rather than staying in the bar chatting to other guests.

As the title of this review states this holiday was a Scenic Delight, and we had a great time in a very comfortable hotel, I will put some photo's of Gairloch in the photo gallery. If you would like to see further photos of this and other Shearings Holiday's, then copy and paste either of the following links to my photo site.

Room Tip: Ask for a Sea view room with shower, first floor near lift.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Derek N
TonyThomas2012, Manager at Gairloch Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on all the aspects of your stay, I have taken the oppurtunity to use your link and look at some of the images of the area you managed to capture so well, and can only agree with your heading of your review. I have passed on your comments to the staff and look forward to your return
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

First Time Dad and I have been to Scotland for a while and we had a very nice and very enjoyable stay at the hotel and thought it was very good. The Service was generally very good not always prompt as we would have liked, but very good and very helpful as well. Our stay was in early September and we went with Shearings and our driver Stuart was very good and had a great personallity and a great sense of humour too and kept us well looked after and was very informative abourt where we were going and about Gairloch. Also the hotel was very good and the view from the hotel was very nice and the rooms were very good and very clean and tidy as well which was great and the beds were fairly comfortable which was good and we had a good nights sleep as well. Also the scenery was lovely as well enjoyed it as well as the trips we were on as well. A great time was had by the both of us.

1 Thank Stephen N
TonyThomas2012, Manager at Gairloch Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Thank you for your comments, I have passed your comments onto the the staff and Stuart(who is back with us this week); I look forward to your return
East Anglia
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We had not taken a Shearings holiday previously. It was excellent value for money.
The service in the restaurant was not always as prompt as we might have liked - but I was pleased that they we able to accommodate my dietary issues which involved a daily discussion of the menus! (Many thanks)
Our driver Stuart was excellent. A very good driver with a great personality. He has the balance just right in terms of humour and keeping everyone informed. Stuart created a good atmosphere on the coach and kept us well looked after with on-board drinks and breaks.
The hotel location is good and the sea view room well worth the small amout extra. Our room was warm and clean (although in need of redecoration). Our beds were comfy too.
The hotel would benefit from refurbishment but we had an excellent value holiday.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room if poss
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cyberphobe
TonyThomas2012, Manager at Gairloch Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for your comments; I am happy that you enjoyed your first experience of a Shearings coaching holiday at the Gairloch hotel, and look forward to your return
sutton coldfield
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I recently stayed at the Gairloch Bay Hotel in the N.W. Highlands of Scotland. The hotel has a superb location overlooking the sea and the Isle of Skye. We had a sea view room which was well worth the extra payment.The welcome was friendly and the bedroom comfortable though the TV could do with an update to a flat screen! We were on half board and the menus were varied and the food good for what we paid.The bar service was excellent with a good choice of drinks but staff in the dining room seemed rushed and tired, so service was inclined to be erratic and two of the staff were very rude when I asked on two mornings why we had not received breakfast 30 minutes after our order was taken. I was told loudly that the kitchen staff were very slow so it was not their fault.Perhaps some extra training in customer relations is needed. Apart from this incident we had a very enjoyable stay and would like to return sometime in the future.Value for money was excellent.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view as it is well worth the extra money
1 Thank jacqueline89
TonyThomas2012, Manager at Gairloch Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback, I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and thought it was excellent value, the issue at breakfast has been addressed
Stockport
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed at the Gairloch Hotel from Aug 11-17th and had an enjoyable week. This was our 43rd coach tour, the 16th with Shearings. The hotel looks quite impressive from the outside and its location midway between the harbour and the village is ideal. We had a sea view so were able to take full advantage of the impressive views across the bay. While clean and comfortable the room could have benefited from a bit of updating. The service in the restaurant was excellent and the food was plentiful but the quality was not up that of some other Shearings hotels.
Before going on this Shearings holiday I read all the reviews on the TripAdvisor website to try and find what time you arrived when travelling from the Stretton Interchange but nobody seemed to say, well we arrived at 9pm which I think is about average, the driver had phoned ahead so the restaurant was primed for our arrival.
We had a fine sunny week and enjoyed our visits to Ullapool, Inverewe Gardens and Portree on the Isle of Skye. Our driver, the almost infamous 'Numpty John' lived up to his reputation of being a 'love him or hate him' type of character. On the plus side his local knowledge was second to none and because of the numerous photo stops a digital camera was an essential item. On the negative side his attitude particularly to other road users and his constant and often irrelevant narrative brought the mood of the coach down. It was best illustrated when on the optional tour of the Applecross Mountains with Colin, a local driver and DJ with 2 Lochs Radio, the consensus of opinion was why couldn't we have had you all week.
The harbour and the village are within easy walking distance for people of normal mobility. I would have thought that a taxi company could benefit from transporting those with limited mobility, but there was no evidence of it.
As well as the walk to the village and the harbour there are some other walks including a beach path to the harbour- not for those with limited mobility, and a walk to the Flowerdale Waterfall the last part up the side of the waterfall is not for the faint hearted.
We called in at the Old Inn after our trip around the waterfall for a delicious slice of Banofee pie and a big pot of tea - highly recommended.

The midges were a bit of a pain probably because of the fine sunny weather, but perhaps a small price to pay for a week without rain in Scotland.

The return to Stretton was not as tedious as the outward journey because of an overnight stay at Tarbet on the shores of Loch Lomond.

Room Tip: A room facing the Loch is well worth the extra cost
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drjohn030151
Thank you for your review, I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and will return soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gairloch
Shieldaig Lodge
#1 of 2 in Aultbea
Kinlochewe Hotel
Kinlochewe Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kinlochewe

Been to Gairloch Hotel? Share your experiences!