“Home cooked and lovely views”

The Shieling Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Gairloch
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Pleasant bar and restaurant serving breakfast , lunch and dinner . Lovely views over to the Isle of Skye. Average prices . Snack menu .Childrens menu.Coffee lounge. Outside seating for 30 people. Free wifi for customers. HOURS ARE : Monday 10 till 4 pm Tuesday through Saturday 10 till 4 pm and 6 pm till 8 pm ( last orders) SUNDAY CLOSED
Inverness
“Home cooked and lovely views”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Really impressed by the food here.

It's all freshly prepared food. Simple and well cooked it was difficult not to like the place. I had the fish pie of the specials. It was packed with salmon, haddock, prawns, cod, and peas.

The view out onto the bay makes it a lovely place to take guests to. It was not warm enough to sit outside but they have outside tables which they presumably serve food at.

There is a very nice lounge area with lots of soft couches to relax on.

Service was ok but nothing special.

Value was OK but maybe a little high for some of the choices on the menu although the steaks were cheaper than I'd expect. Main courses were 10-20 pounds.

I would definitely recommend here for a meal and I'll be back for sure

1 Thank Will_HInverness

Earlston
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visit here”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Fantastic food one evening, Huge portions of yummy food with great choice for our 7 year old. Friendly service and quite quick. Nice atmosphere and seating outside for daytime.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Clive S
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic evening!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife, myself & our two young children called into the Shieling on spec for an evening meal &, although we had to wait 20 minutes or so for a table, we were shown to a table in the lounge & brought drinks very quickly. The meal was absolutely wonderful. The kids both cleared their plates but, after having two extremely tasty & very large starters, my wife & I just failed to clear up! But it didn't stop me having the most incredible pudding, which I did (just!) manage to finish, followed by strong coffee (just how I like it) together with a dram of malt whisky. Service was rapid & the staff were always helpful & polite. The perfect eating experience. When I ordered my malt whisky I couldn't read the labels on the bottles (old age & failing eyesight I'm afraid) but the young lady behind the bar invited me round & allowed me to browse at my leisure. All in all, one of the best meals we've had in a restaurant for a long, long time. Thank you all SO much.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Best home-made burgers ever!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My 7 year old son and I stopped in to The Shieling for a bite of lunch while camping at Gairloch. When we arrived the restaurant was empty and we were given a seat by the window, looking out over the bay - a great start. We ordered burgers. My son had the one from the children's menu and I had the American burger. Both were delicious, obviously made fresh and really substantial, served in a lovely soft bun with a pile of fresh salad. There was also an enormous portion of twice cooked fries that were more than we could manage. It wasn't a cheap meal. We only had our burgers and a glass of diet coke each and the bill came to more than £20 but the quality was excellent. As others have said, the service was a bit lacking. The lady who waited on us didn't make eye contact. She wasn't terribly friendly. When we were ready to leave we tried to catch someone's eye for the bill but no-one was looking. Eventually we went up to the bar to pay. We weren't asked if we were happy with our meal and no-one said cheerio as we left. A shame, because courtesy and pleasantness doesn't cost anything and it spoiled the atmosphere. We thought the food was brilliant though.

• Visited July 2014
Don C, Owner at The Shieling Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Sorry you were not given the service with a smile which I myself would expect . I will have a chat with the staff . The amount you quoted for a kids burger and and adult one with 2 cokes should be £17.70 . Please let me know if you were overcharged . Pop in again if your passing and see if there's an improvement . Donald.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Food - Great Setting”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This restaurant positioned on the "top" road through Gairloch and has magnificient views across the loch to Skye and also across to Torridon and Applecross. The restaurant itself is well set out, with good-sized tables and plenty of room between tables. There is also a separate large lounge with sofas, etc. We have eaten here before and as one of us is Vegan, we went in at lunchtime to order a table for the evening and discuss the dietary requirements. Donald, the owner, greeted us on arrival and when we asked what he could do Vegan-wise, he told us that all we needed to do when we came in that evening was to tell the waitress what the Vegan would like and, if he had the ingredients he would cook it - which was brilliant compared to the attitude of lots of other restaurants. As it happened, the choice was Cauliflower and Broccolli Curry. When this came it looked and tasted magnificient and Donald had added a side portion of Courgette Tempura - I almost turned Vegan there and then. Then my meal arrived - Home made Steak Pie. The menu had the word 'large' in brackets for this dish and when it came I could see why. It was huge, packed full of top quality meat, cooked to perfection, and the puff pastry topping mouthwatering. Both our meals were superb (and I will remain an ominvore). The restaurant offers local ales and a very reasonably priced wine selection. Donald is also to be applauded for employing staffed by young local people as waiters and waitresses and my only criticism, and it is a minor criticism, that they are a bit inexperienced, and could do with a bit more training, but I suppose that adds to the rural charm of the place. We will DEFINITELY eat here again on our next visit to the area.