“mountain high” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Gairloch
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Seating
Description: This cafe is recommended by Lonely Planet and could be fantastic. The view is good, The food looked good and some tasted good. I ma prompted ot review becase the service was very bad. The women in charge who I believe is the owner was one fo the grumpier people we met on a 5month tour of Europe. She was loudly critical of and to the young man working there, she was unwelcoming and ignored much of what we said to her. The coffee was ok but made with reluctance and an offhand attitude. We felt as if we were intruding in her space and a real nuisance -- at 11 am !!. We had driven out of the way to get to a place which we felt would be special place for a coffee. It was but in all the wrong ways. We are New Zealanders who do not normally complain but this place was worth complaining about.
“mountain high”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great view. Strong coffee, tasty soup, scrummy cakes. Mix of surf/climbing dudes, political campaigns, and really well-stocked bookshop. Friendly staff who manage very busy turnover with a smile.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Talked and welcoming cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Mountain Cafe (and the attached bookshop) were very laid back and welcoming. We enjoying sitting out on the deck with a coffee and a great piece of chocolate fudge cake.

• Visited April 2014
Dundee, United Kingdom
“A cool place for cool dudes. Coffee, cake and comfort.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Always worth a visit if you're in the area. Nice atmosphere and staff who try their best even when they're busy which is most of the time. Lots of mountaineering type stuff on the walls. Love the bookshop next door with its eclectic mix of stock.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Stay here, drink coffee and read!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

If you are ever anywhere near Strath / Gairloch you must come here. You'll be glad you did. Fantastic location, friendly and knowledgeable staff with a great range of coffee, cakes and scones. If you're hungry there is superb soup and bagels. And to top it all off there are some lovely rooms upstairs (pay the extra and get the room with the four poster bed, it has 5 windows and the best view from a room I have ever had). If that's not enough for you (and it should be) there is also the best book shop I have been in for a long, long time (and I never miss a bookshop). I have been touring round the north of Scotland for some weeks now and this is the only place I have returned to - it is that good!

1 Thank Jim M
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great spot for coffee and cake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I passed this at the halfway point of a road bike ride today and the skis in the window intrigued me enough to stop and have a look. Glad I did. The staff were really friendly and helped me choose from a range of tasty looking cakes! I had a pot of tea and a slice of cake and it came to £5.70. Best thing about this place is how interesting it is... If you are in to outdoor activities or mountaineering, it is definitely worth a visit. Some great books for sale and the walls were covered with mountain memorabilia. Not what I expected while passing through Gairloch but glad I called in.

1 Thank Helen R