“lovely food”

Shieldaig Lodge
Ranked #12 of 18 Restaurants in Gairloch
Cuisines: Scottish
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Brilliant. Delicious food. Few choices of menu but why will you need more.Menus are different each day.Breakfast is just enough.And coffee is served in the lounge after meal for residents,while you relax,read books, watch tv or just listen to the classical music.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

The choice of food and accommodating owners that will go out of their way to help and please. Set menu for dinner but they are prepared to make adjustments to the menu if you are a bit fussy like me!

Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here about four years ago and the food was good but very expensive, four course set meal £29 each. The room was like being in a museum, old mismatched furniture, 40 year old decoration, no TV. This year we were booked in (unknown to us) by the managers brother in law whose own refurbished hotel, that we had booked, was closed on the grounds of Building Regulations. Unfortunately nothing had changed since last time, only older and more shabby. The location and building are beautiful but the hotel needs some tender loving care.

Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Came across this hotel whilst staying nearby and recommended hotel from local people. Booked a table for a fri night. Staff were very helpful and friendly. House is beautiful and situated in an amazing position next to the water. The wine selection was good and we ordered a Pinot noir. The food menu looked scrumptious when we first went to the hotel to book a table (scallopes, venison etc) however the night we ate the menu was extremely limited and not exciting at all (this is important due to the ££££!).
Choice for starters were venison meatballs or tomato and mozerella salad. main course options were salmon fillet, chicken with cream sauce or pork and apple sauce. pudding options were apple strudel, icd cream or cheese. We had a beautiful view prior to eating however once in the dining room, we could hardly see the water, just a wall instead.
The quality of the food was good, despite the limited menu. However, I found most things extremely oily, fried or full of cream. My partner however absolutely loved his meal (all 5 courses). I wanted to love this place, however, despite the view and te house, it didn't match my expectations.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

This is one of the most difficult reviews I have written. Some parts of the experience were great some horrible.
From the outside the building is magnificent and in a beautiful setting. However inside is characterless and drab. After waiting in the hall for a few minutes a less than smartly dressed woman came up to us and asked “What do you want!!” in what can only be described as a very aggressive manner. With some training she might learn “Can I help you” is a better start. I had to mark the service poor because of this reception, with a better reception the service would have been very good, the young man in the bar and waiting was excellent.
We were told to go into the bar and a menu would be brought through. A young man, very smartly dressed brought the menus through and asked if we would like a drink. We did and ordered our drinks. By the time he came back we had decided what we wanted to eat from the menu and placed our order. The atmosphere in the bar was subdued and the area was cold, we were glad we had left our coats on.
We were eventually told to go through to the dining room as our dinner was ready. The dining room was cold and bland. After a little wait our starter was served. We had all ordered the brown trout. This was delicious and we all enjoyed the starter. The next course was a carrot and coriander soup. This was disappointing; it tasted more of butternut squash and was tepid. I asked if I could have another roll and was told they had run out. Strange as they were regulation frozen rolls that are just reheated and served. Onto the main course. I had ordered pork and the pork was a good quality meat cooked beautifully but the sauce was too sweet and a tiny amount of vegetables. Three pieces of carrot the size of a medium pea and three green beans. The carrots had been coated in honey and again added to the sweetness of the dish. Our other guests had fish which was delicious and guinea fowl, this was nicely cooked but again tepid. The waiter was the same young man that had served us in the bar, he looked a little harassed and I’m not surprised as he seemed to do everything apart from the cooking with no supervision or help. He did very well.
Pudding. Two of us had the creme brulee this was superb. The other two had cheese and biscuits, again superb. Lovely generous selection of cheeses in fact the two of us that had the brulee had to help out with the cheeses.
Coffee was served in the lounge, roaring fire in the lounge, at last we could thaw out. Two lounges signed lounge 1 and 2. A certain lack of imagination. So many beautiful lochs and mountains nearby for the lounges to be named after. Coffee was weak and served from a vacuum flask, poor!
I can see why people like Shieldaig Lodge. The situation, the building, the relaxed atmosphere, dogs allowed, allowing people that had left their dogs behind to adopt a dog whilst there. The old world charm. I wouldn’t want them to lose these hard to find attractions. However this is no excuse for the initial welcome we received, that was unforgivable and would be the one thing that would stop us going back. This is an establishment with so much unfulfilled potential. With very little effort it could be transformed into a great place to stay and eat.
Would I go again? Yes because of its location, the magnificent outside of the building and the food was basically good with a few moments of disappointment I would give it another chance.

1  Thank glendruidh