“Cold Stay”

Ranked #16 of 22 Church Stretton B&B and Inns
NORTHANTS
“Cold Stay”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Such a shame, but our experience here was not the best, mostly due to the fact the heating system had broken down & unfortunately we'd picked a cold weekend!! However, the staff were very pleasant, the rooms were adequate, though our upstairs one was much nicer than our friend's downstairs one.Food in restaurant was nice, but we only ate there once as was a bit too quiet for us, being Sunday/Monday/Tuesday we were there. The Proprietor's have a pub in Little Stretton so we went there for 2 evening meals Lovely food & they very graciously knocked our drink prices off the bill for the unfortunate incident with the heating, which was a very nice gesture. Breakfasts a bit hit & miss, hard poached eggs every morning, & various things forgotten, but not enough cause to complain

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking carpark so I don't know what the rooms at the front were like but it is...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LINDAGNorthants

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My daughter choose this hotel to spend the night before her Wedding at Delbury Hall, what a lovely warm welcome from all we had. An excellent meal the night before, lovely clean bedrooms and a hearty breakfast before the preparations started for the big day. We were able to use our room for getting ready and nothing was too much trouble, Duncan even made bacon sandwiches after he had cleared up for our hairdresser.

Room Tip: All the three rooms we occupied were decorated to a high standard, bathrooms lovely and clean and we...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We chose to stay at Affcot Lodge for our night off from the children treat as it was advertised as Vegetarian friendly.
On arriving we found we had been booked into an upstairs room, but on seeing I walked with a stick we were offered a downstairs room. The room was beautifully decorated just to our tastes and instantly felt at home.
We went for our evening meal in the restaurant and there was a really good vegetarian selection, the food was delicious with really good sized portions and I was only disappointed when it was all gone! The staff were friendly and faultless.
We spent the evening in the bar, the drink prices were really reasonable and we felt really comfortable and relaxed.
The bed in our room was really comfortable and I enjoyed the first full undisturbed nights sleep I have had in a long time, I suffer from arthritis and am usually woken in the night by this but the bed was so comfortable, I even woke in the morning feeling less achy!
We went for breakfast at 8.30 and found the service just as good as we had the night before. We were offered a full Vegetarian breakfast which is very rare and it was really tasty.
There was nothing we could fault about our stay and we are already planning a return visit with the children this summer.
I highly recommend Affcot Lodge you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: I had read about the front rooms being noisy but we were at the front on the ground floor and were n...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennax77
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I have just returned from a visit to family and stayed overnight at the Affcot Lodge. Although my parents had previously stayed there, it was my first visit. We checked-in en route, and we were given our keys in case we didn't get back until late. Our rooms were delightful, tastefully decorated, very clean throughout, with curtains that kept out the light (although at this time of year it wasn't a problem). There was plenty of storage cupboards if needed. Flat screen tv with FreeView channels and the usual tea/coffee making facilities were all included. The beds were made up nicely and speaking for my own, it was very comfortable and I had an excellent night's sleep. There were plenty of available sockets to cope with the technology that accompanies most of us when we travel these days. The en suite bathroom was spacious and warm, with fresh, clean towels, naturally!

It was lovely to have the space in the room for when I needed my wheelchair, and certainly being able to move around the bathroom was great, rather than only just having space to take a step in either direction.
On a personal note....a grab rail/handle in the shower would be an extremely useful addition.

We ate in the bar, choosing a snack rather than a full meal. This was delicious and served quickly, again, for me, it was good that we didn't have to move to a table but we could enjoy our snacks where we had been sitting in the bar. Breakfast offered a good choice, juice; cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, along with tradition full English and of course toast etc.

Paul, the manager, his wife and all the staff with which we had contact were professional, polite, friendly and willing to make sure that we had everything that we needed to enjoy our stay.

I will certainly recommend the Affcot Lodge to friends & family and I will be looking forward to my next visit to family, so that I can again experience the comfort and friendliness that the Affcot Lodges offers its visitors.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Julie W
England
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I stayed here on a short break, wanting a place to relax and close enough to ludlow to do some christmas shopping. As i was on my own i wanted somewhere i felt comfortable and after looking at the reviews i decided affcot lodge was worth a shot. emma and her husband made my feel welcome from the moment i walked in...they could not do enough to make me feel at home and looked after. my room was fantastic-absolutely nothing i would change, the breakfasts were brilliant...they fully cater for vegetarians which was like a dream. the food in their restaurant was lovely. I absolutely cannot fault affcot lodge...I feel like a very lucky person to have been so well cared and catered for. you get over and above here , i cannot reccomend this place enough. I will definitely be returning xx

• Stayed December 2012
Staffordshire
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We didn't stay here but ate an evening meal here recently and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. There was a good choice of pub style meals and both my husband and I opted for something from the specials board as a main course. We were really pleased with both our choices; portion size was good and the quality of the food was excellent. The service was quick and the waitress very friendly and welcoming. If we are in the area again, we would definitely come here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank teabag80
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

group booking for walking club- everyone enjoyed it good food lovely rooms freindly heplful staff no complaints, good location for walking in Church Stretton area, plenty places to visit, nice Bar area to relax in the evening

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
#3 of 9 in Craven Arms
Victoria House
Victoria House
#3 of 22 in Church Stretton

Been to Affcot Lodge? Share your experiences!