“No complaints here. And check out the menu for the seafood.”
Review of Affcot Lodge

Affcot Lodge
Ranked #14 of 22 Church Stretton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2013

CONTEXT
Stayed here for one night before starting the John O’Groats to Land’s end route by bicycle.

PROS
Friendly staff.

Reasonable price.

Comfortable, stylish room in an annexe building. Quiet and private.

Menu. I had the Devon dressed crab and it was superb. I later found out that they get a delivery of fresh seafood every day from Brixham, so I recommend going for the fish on the menu.

CONS
None I can think of.

CONCLUSION
If you need a place to stay on the road in this area, there is nothing wrong with this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Made a return visit to this establishment after enjoying a few previous stays and had about two months previous booked a room by its number that we know was comfy and quiet as one of the downstairs rooms on the end which we had been allotted on a previous occasion can be rather noisy as the floorboards in the room above it creak terribly Its not really something that can be set to rights because of the age of the premises but to avoid another disturbed early morning being woken by someone constantly walking across the floor I thought id pre-book a room of choice. On arrival to check in I was informed we were in room 106, this was the room I was avoiding so was quite taken back, I had asked for another one completely, I asked if I could swop but was informed they were full up...again I was shocked at this as their was aboard outside advertising they had rooms. I set my disappointment aside and we ventured to room 106 and hoped for the best, I thought I may have got it wrong and absent minded requested 106 but on checking my emails it had been confirmed I was going to be getting room 109. The room was clean, well stocked with beverages and we made ourselves comfy and hoped all would go well and we would be lucky enough not to be woken by anyone tramping the floorboards at ungodly hours. We ate in the restaurant, the meals we both had were delicious and the table service was extremely good and then we ventured back to our room where all was relatively quiet thankfully. However this was not to last, 6am in the morning the people in the room above decide to rise and trample back and forth endlessly for about and hour and a half, it was totally impossible to get back to sleep and once again the feeling of being miffed at not getting the room we were promised resurfaced. We went to get our breakfast, again the food was top notch and plentiful, only thing was the sugar cubes were left out overnight on the tables uncovered which I thought was a bit offish as flies tend to be about this time of year and like things like that to land on.....maybe they should think about removing them or covering them. I have never had a problem with this place before but as I would not like to chance being in that noisy 106 again I do not know at present if I shall be returning for an overnight stay as I actually get a more peaceful night in the Ludlow Travelodge than I did in that room.

Room Tip: avoid 106 if you have people who like to get up at dawns crack and have restless legs in the room ab...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Passing the hotel on the main road it doesn't immeditaly look amazing, however the rooms are fantastic, all modernly furnished and decorated. We have stayed twice now and both times have been faultless. The breakfasts are great and will always cook what you request.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We arranged to meet friends from Knighton and the halfway spot from Shrewsbury was this pub/restaurant/hotel at Upper Affcot.
The weather ( 19.6.2013 ) was superb, and we sat in the beer garden for a drink before dinner.
They told us when our meal was ready and we headed inside to eat.
The meal was excellent, and the beef and ale pie was the best we have ever had.
From this lovely place, we drove over the Longmynd mountains, and with the sun still shining across Shropshire, it was a lovely end to a lovely day.
We will be back. Thank you to the wonderful staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NessieFrance
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This place really is a gem you are made to feel welcome from the moment you arrive rooms are well equipt and confortable the staff are hard working and polite and the food is excellent.
Easily located on the main road the A49 to Craven Arms ,plenty of parking spaces and once a month on the first Wednesday there is a vintage cars meeting outside and you are allowed to wonder around these .Only found this place last year after some friends of mine recommended it as their place was being renovated. Did not know this place existed until then having driven past in many times without taking any notice .

Room Tip: try to get a room on the second floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank J Alun R
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We stayed at Affcot Lodge as we were attending a family party nearby, so we just needed a place to crash. Affcot was much cheaper than your average Travelodge, nicer, and the service was just great - the management couldn't have been more helpful.

Although the property is located on a main road (which makes it brilliantly easy to find), we had a room at the back which was perfectly quiet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Such a shame, but our experience here was not the best, mostly due to the fact the heating system had broken down & unfortunately we'd picked a cold weekend!! However, the staff were very pleasant, the rooms were adequate, though our upstairs one was much nicer than our friend's downstairs one.Food in restaurant was nice, but we only ate there once as was a bit too quiet for us, being Sunday/Monday/Tuesday we were there. The Proprietor's have a pub in Little Stretton so we went there for 2 evening meals Lovely food & they very graciously knocked our drink prices off the bill for the unfortunate incident with the heating, which was a very nice gesture. Breakfasts a bit hit & miss, hard poached eggs every morning, & various things forgotten, but not enough cause to complain

Room Tip: We had rooms overlooking carpark so I don't know what the rooms at the front were like but it is...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 22 in Church Stretton
Victoria House
Victoria House
#2 of 22 in Church Stretton

Been to Affcot Lodge? Share your experiences!