“Would not stay here again”
Review of Affcot Lodge

Affcot Lodge
Ranked #16 of 22 Church Stretton B&B and Inns
Midlands
“Would not stay here again”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I stayed here for one night in September and was glad to get away next morning. Admittedly I had a large room to myself but it was noisy from passing traffic (until very late at night and starting early next morning). The floor above creaked dreadfully and when the lavatory was flushed upstairs there was a sound of rushing water through pipes coming down and across my room.
Cleanliness didn't seem to be important: the valence on the bed was stained with some sort of purple stain and on closer inspection looked decidedly grubby. It clearly hadn't been changed in some time. There were coffee and tea stains on the wall and ledge near the tea-making facilities. The plug-hole in the basin was rusty and there were stains on the walls. Light switches grubby too.
As if that wasn't enough the carpet in the corridor, near an outside door, was black with dirt.
The previous evening there had been two large groups in; one of which had occupied the room which was used for breakfast. Dropped food was still on the floor at breakfast time.
The room where I had a meal was very cold (in the conservatory) and we had to wait an hour to get food. As mentioned earlier, there were two large groups in, all seated at once. It was clearly too much for the kitchen to cope with. One group ate; others had to wait.
When my food came, it was lukewarm. I had the chicken and mushroom pie. It was enormous, mostly thick pastry the underneath layer of which was soggy. The chips were edible. The vegetables were good and not overcooked. The gravy was thick and gloopy. It was not a good meal.
Next morning as I walked into the bar area to pay my bill, I was gobsmacked to see one of the staff having a cigarette! They scuttled off in the direction of the kitchen. Ugh!
I was so demoralised by the whole experience of staying here that I hadn't got the energy to complain. On the way out noticed that the steps outside were covered in cigarette ends.
It's a pity the meal and rooms were so bad because the staff were friendly and helpful (except for the matter of providing food an hour after we had been booked in to eat).
I was looking forward to staying here after checking trip advisor reviews but after my experience certainly won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room you are given and make up your own mind if it's ok for you.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jenista
Spain2005, Owner at Affcot Lodge, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
After reading this review I sent an email saying sorry that you visit was not a nice one but could you let me have the room number that you stayed in and what night you stayed with us, this was on the 30th September. I still have no reply so will post my response without that information.
If you read the information on us it say's we are on the A49 between Church Stretton and Craven Arms that lets you know we are on the side of a main road. All letting bedrooms are behind the main pub, the 2 rooms nearer to the front of the building are 101 and 111 if you sleep with the windows open you do get some road noise, I check most people out only 2 guests have said they heard the traffic.
The carpet in the corridor which gets most use outdoor to indoor was new when refurbished and is being changed again in November. We do use the Breakfast room for parties, but if a function finishes late at night, hoovering would not be done until after breakfast the next day as would be expected on a shift that I myself finish at 1.30am and start again at 6.45am for those that request breakfast at 7.30am.
Had your points about your meal been made at the time we would of rectified them straight away.
And on the point of a staff member smoking this is not correct and would never happen, but you may of seen a member of staff taking a Cigarette unlit outside to the smoking shelter where it is permitted, there is a staff entrance between the kitchen and bar. We provide an area for smokers and also plenty of bins, however we do broom the front steps daily as not all customers make use of them.
I would like to think that myself and staff here at Affcot Lodge do our best to make guests that stay welcome and comfortable.
Wendy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Wrecsam. North Wales
Reviewed 26 August 2013

A very friendly and comfortable place to stay. All the staff were very friendly indeed and couldn't have been more helpful. I was travelling by bike and they locked it away indoors for me. The room was perfect as it was spacious, lots of hot water for a hot bath, tea, coffee and comfortable bed. The menu for dinner was varied and the food was perfectly cooked and delicious. Breakfast was great too. I'd definitely stay again if in the area and have no hesitation recommending this accommodation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Galicia, Spain
Reviewed 16 July 2013

CONTEXT
Stayed here for one night before starting the John O’Groats to Land’s end route by bicycle.

PROS
Friendly staff.

Reasonable price.

Comfortable, stylish room in an annexe building. Quiet and private.

Menu. I had the Devon dressed crab and it was superb. I later found out that they get a delivery of fresh seafood every day from Brixham, so I recommend going for the fish on the menu.

CONS
None I can think of.

CONCLUSION
If you need a place to stay on the road in this area, there is nothing wrong with this place.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Made a return visit to this establishment after enjoying a few previous stays and had about two months previous booked a room by its number that we know was comfy and quiet as one of the downstairs rooms on the end which we had been allotted on a previous occasion can be rather noisy as the floorboards in the room above it creak terribly Its not really something that can be set to rights because of the age of the premises but to avoid another disturbed early morning being woken by someone constantly walking across the floor I thought id pre-book a room of choice. On arrival to check in I was informed we were in room 106, this was the room I was avoiding so was quite taken back, I had asked for another one completely, I asked if I could swop but was informed they were full up...again I was shocked at this as their was aboard outside advertising they had rooms. I set my disappointment aside and we ventured to room 106 and hoped for the best, I thought I may have got it wrong and absent minded requested 106 but on checking my emails it had been confirmed I was going to be getting room 109. The room was clean, well stocked with beverages and we made ourselves comfy and hoped all would go well and we would be lucky enough not to be woken by anyone tramping the floorboards at ungodly hours. We ate in the restaurant, the meals we both had were delicious and the table service was extremely good and then we ventured back to our room where all was relatively quiet thankfully. However this was not to last, 6am in the morning the people in the room above decide to rise and trample back and forth endlessly for about and hour and a half, it was totally impossible to get back to sleep and once again the feeling of being miffed at not getting the room we were promised resurfaced. We went to get our breakfast, again the food was top notch and plentiful, only thing was the sugar cubes were left out overnight on the tables uncovered which I thought was a bit offish as flies tend to be about this time of year and like things like that to land on.....maybe they should think about removing them or covering them. I have never had a problem with this place before but as I would not like to chance being in that noisy 106 again I do not know at present if I shall be returning for an overnight stay as I actually get a more peaceful night in the Ludlow Travelodge than I did in that room.

Room Tip: avoid 106 if you have people who like to get up at dawns crack and have restless legs in the room ab...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Passing the hotel on the main road it doesn't immeditaly look amazing, however the rooms are fantastic, all modernly furnished and decorated. We have stayed twice now and both times have been faultless. The breakfasts are great and will always cook what you request.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Miramont en Guyenne france
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We arranged to meet friends from Knighton and the halfway spot from Shrewsbury was this pub/restaurant/hotel at Upper Affcot.
The weather ( 19.6.2013 ) was superb, and we sat in the beer garden for a drink before dinner.
They told us when our meal was ready and we headed inside to eat.
The meal was excellent, and the beef and ale pie was the best we have ever had.
From this lovely place, we drove over the Longmynd mountains, and with the sun still shining across Shropshire, it was a lovely end to a lovely day.
We will be back. Thank you to the wonderful staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NessieFrance
amlwch
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This place really is a gem you are made to feel welcome from the moment you arrive rooms are well equipt and confortable the staff are hard working and polite and the food is excellent.
Easily located on the main road the A49 to Craven Arms ,plenty of parking spaces and once a month on the first Wednesday there is a vintage cars meeting outside and you are allowed to wonder around these .Only found this place last year after some friends of mine recommended it as their place was being renovated. Did not know this place existed until then having driven past in many times without taking any notice .

Room Tip: try to get a room on the second floor
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
#3 of 9 in Craven Arms
Victoria House
Victoria House
#3 of 22 in Church Stretton

Been to Affcot Lodge? Share your experiences!