“Fantastic - the room, the breakfast (oh, the breakfast!) and Diane”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Victoria House

and 1 more site!
Victoria House
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Fantastic - the room, the breakfast (oh, the breakfast!) and Diane”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

What a great experience. Diane greeted us warmly and helped us securely store our bicycles, then showed us to our lovely, lovely room - Florinda. I am happy to report that it lives up to it's description on the website, as does the breakfast - the reviews of which made me book in the first place. Diane is clearly a gifted cook, she likes trying out new recipes and everything was made to order. First an excellent choice of fresh fruits, cereals and fruit juices, then freshly cooked porridge (very good, this - I was a bit wary, because it can be quite stodgy, but Diane's was creamy and light), followed by the pièce de résistance - French Toast with Caramelised bananas and crème fraiche. I'm salivating just thinking about it - perfect. My husband had an omelette (I know!) - and actually that was also very good (I had to taste it, obviously).

I just wish we had been able to stay longer. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Whichever you fancy - I had a sneak look at three of them, and they're all good!
1 Thank Primroselil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Victoria House is one of those rare gems, welcoming, comfortable and beautifully furnished. Diane and her team began our stay with a very welcome complimentary cream tea in the garden. Nothing was too much trouble and our room ( Albert) was spotless with extremely comfortable beds, the view was lovely, looking over the pretty garden and Church of St Lawrence. Breakfast was a real treat and catered for all tastes.

It would have been nice to have had towelling robes instead of fleece, but that was a very tiny incidental quibble in what was an excellant weekend.

We shall look forward to our next visit with pleasure.

Wallasey England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

My wife and I spent two nights at Victoria house and found everything excellent. A spotlessly clean room,with a very comfortable bed and a warm welcome from Diane and her staff.Breakfast was exceptional with a great choice of freshly cooked local produce.
Church Stretton is a great place to stay,a lovely small town,surrounded by beautiful countryside.
All in all an enjoyable break.

Wakefield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

A wonderful place to stay. Central, yet quiet. Beautifully furnished and peaceful garden area. A lovely cup of tea and friendly smile greeted us on arrival which was very welcome on a hot day. The beds were extremely comfortable and breakfast was a great feast. Highly recommended. We stayed as part of our Golden Wedding anniversary celebrations and were delighted with everything. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HelenWakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night whilst visiting friends in the area. The B&B has lots of charm and is in a great location in the village. We had a warm welcome and thought the room was nice and comfortable (we were also given an upgrade which was very kind). Breakfast was lovely and I've eaten before in the cafe so can add that the lunches and cakes are great to! My only minor issue, which we were pre warned about, is Church Strettons constantly chiming clock-it was a very hot weekend so we had to have the windows open and could hear the chimes. I'm not sure how the locals cope at summer, I'd be asking the church to turn them off between midnight and 6 if I lived here! It didn't ruin our stay though and certainly isn't the B&Bs fault. Would recommend, but with ear plugs for light sleepers if its a hot summers night.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is a truly great place to stay. Brilliant location, warm welcome, lovely room - full of character with excellent facilities, filling breakfast with lots of choice. So many little touches make this a special place - complimentary drink and cake on arrival, lovely toiletries, free sherry in room and free parking to mention a few. I shall have to return if only to try the the inviting and appetising cafe menu.
Thank you Diane and team for making my short stay so comfortable.

Room Tip: I slept in a room at the back of the building which was incredibly quiet but I don't think Churc...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank mundaych
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Two of us stayed in the Durbar room for one night in June. It is stylishly furnished in a dark theme but unfortunately the bedroom has only one small window, with an undistinguished view from it. This results in a slightly dark and gloomy atmosphere. However, our main disappointment was with the breakfast: perhaps because it is served from 8.30 a.m., many guests, including ourselves, came down at that time. We were placed in the cafe (which is run by the owner) at the front of the property, which was cold (all but 2 other guests had breakfast in a dining room at the back). We served ourselves cereal and fruit juice from the dining room, after which coffee and tea were served. However, it wasn't until after 9 a.m. that our cooked breakfasts arrived. We felt this was an unacceptably long wait and, of course, the remains of our coffee and tea were cold by that time. The cooked breakfast itself was nothing special - certainly not 'amazing'.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Diane C, Owner at Victoria House, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
I am disappointed that you are disappointed; I just wish you’d mentioned it to me at the time which would have given me an opportunity to address some of your complaints. ‘Average’ is not what Victoria House is all about.

Breakfast did take an unusually long time on the morning you have reviewed but when you said “many guests … came down at that time” being 8.30am, actually all 11 guests came down at exactly that time! This is an unusual occurrence and, as one guest said afterwards, it was like a tour group getting off a bus! (This guest, by the way, wrote the glowing review below – same day, different guest, different experience…).

While we state that breakfasts are served between 8.30 and 9.30am, we don’t allocate a time that guests can come down for breakfast – it is entirely at their discretion. And, in the three years I have owned Victoria House, we have never had all guests come down to breakfast together! Furthermore, if guests wish an earlier breakfast, they only have to ask and they will be accommodated. We have now included this information in our confirmation e-mail.

We take particular care with our breakfasts at Victoria House, having won an award for the quality and breadth of our breakfast offering, and our breakfasts are cooked fresh to order. As a result, there is sometimes a wait while food is cooked and, in this instance, as you were the last to sit down to breakfast and therefore the last to order, your breakfast took the longest to be served. We agree with you; it is too long to wait, and I apologise now, as I did at the time.

Regarding Durbar, some people love that room and specifically request it - all of our rooms are individually decorated and have their own uniqueness - so maybe it is just finding one that suits you.

We value your opinion, but please come back one day and try our scrambled eggs and salmon, or French toast with bacon and bananas, or even our freshly cooked pain au chocolat or croissants and then you may gain an appreciation of our other guests’ comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Church Stretton
#3 of 8 in Ludlow
Sayang House
Sayang House
#3 of 23 in Church Stretton

Been to Victoria House? Share your experiences!