“I love this cafe”

Acorn Cafe
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“I love this cafe”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

With only seven reviews out of the hundreds of people who have eaten at The Acorn, the scores are easily distorted to give the impression that this is not a good cafe! The Acorn serves genuine wholefoods, so if you like scones made with white flour, you may be disappointed.All scones are made with wholemeal flour, and so may not suit those with an unadventurous palate. To me, they are delicious, and very filling.
The full salads that this cafe produces are lovely. The soups are usually delicious (I have been here on numerous occasions over the years), and the quiche, although thin, is full of flavour. The cafe is dog-friendly (one room is set aside for them),
I have found the young staff here to be polite, efficient and very helpful, and the owner, although sometimes preoccupied with the task in hand (it can get very busy), has shown considerable generosity over the years with charitable projects e.g the world's biggest coffee morning for breast cancer. There is an interesting tea garden at the rear of the property; pretty, but also a bit untidy.Unfortunately there are stairs to climb to the main cafe, so disabled access is not good.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Shrewsburylass

Derbyshire
“Home baked cooking!”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was recommended this cafe by a friend. It has quite a hidden entrance on the main Sandford Avenue and up some stairs to the main cafe. There are a few rooms upstairs and a beautiful little tea garden outside. Since the sun as shining I decided to eat al fresco. I ordered the nut roast with salad. The salad was lovely with lots of variety and the nut roast, the best I've had! I couldn't leave without trying some of the home made cakes on offer. I had generous helping of some gorgeous moist carrot cake and a fresh filter coffee to finish. This cafe is a little gem, and particularly seems to cater for people with special dietary requirements, gluten free, sugar free, vegetarian etc. Definitely worth a visit!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank MiriamBen83
London, United Kingdom
“Could have been great”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Being a veggie, I was looking forward to eating here. Another couple were before us and asked for a sandwich. They left five minutes later as the waitress was unable to get an answer from the kitchen about what fillings were available. No problem: we were not in a rush and were hungry so whatever was available would do.

Alas, the waitress disappeared and we were left contemplating the cakes behind the counter with fevered stares. Several minutes passed and we were still alone; thinking that the cafe had closed we left but on reaching the base of the staircase, the waitress shouted from above "did you want to know about the sandwiches?"

I'd like to think that this establishment offers excellent service and tasty fare: maybe they were having a bad day. There are few places that know or care about veggie/vegan/gluten-free so I'll give them another chance next year.

Obviously, I cannot give a score for 'food' or 'value'.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank g999ads
shropshire
“Great for veggies”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

A quaint cafe with a lovely garden courtyard area in the middle of Church Stretton, tucked away on the Sandford Ave.

Visited April 2012
wirral
“Hostile and cold atmosphere”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Having been before was looking forward to brunch here with friends. The layout of the cafe is comfortable, that I am afraid is where the positives end. The atmosphere is so unfriendly and hostile I can honestly say I would not return . I was with friends travelling to celebrate a birthday and planned our brunch here to start off our weekend away . The menu was very limited and I asked who I presume was the owner if it was possible to have egg on toast to which I recieved a very curt response of " No only whats on the menu " Two of the party ordered sardines on toast which came on a thin piece of uninteresting sliced bread and topped with COLD sardines In all everything about this place is cold and unfriendly. Not good

• Visited April 2012