“Love this cafe! Great staff.”
Review of Acorn Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Acorn Cafe
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have been eating in this cafe for many years, and do not recognise the establishment described by some others who have given poor reviews. I think if all those many people who have enjoyed their meals here had written reviews, they would far outbalance the poor reviews. The food here is usually tasty and wholesome; not to your taste if you just like fry-ups, or if you have a palate accustomed only to 'quick' meals. I particularly enjoy the wholesome puddings, and a soup and pudding makes a really filling meal for well under £10!

A particular strength of this cafe are the quality of the delightful, young weekend staff, clearly local schoolchildren and students. Without exception I have found the young staff (some clearly very young) polite, helpful and competent, with a delightful manner towards their customers.It is good to see how much their confidence grows over the months (and sometimes years) that they have worked here. Clearly the proprietor trains them well. and they are a credit to the cafe.

There are many good cafes in Church Stretton, and I have eaten in most of them. All have a different atmosphere. I always return to the Acorn, where there is space to move, and an atmosphere which I find friendly and relaxed.

The cafe has a tea garden. This is full of atmosphere, but perhaps a bit scruffy (or should I say 'natural') sometimes! But I always enjoy eating there!

A large proportion of my reviews are 5 star; this is because I tend not to write reviews for mediocre or poor establishments, in case I have gone on a bad day--who doesn't have them? I suspect most people who enjoy the Acorn do not post Trip Advisor reviews, or there would be many more 5 star reviews.

I have no business connection with The Acorn. I just enjoy eating there!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

After visiting this cafe over the weekend and as I never ever feel the need to write any reviews I thought I would share the experience.
The old lady was unhelpful - rude - ignorant and disrespectful she is in the wrong business.
We ordered scones which were vile they were a heated block of soda bread put in a microwave and were not cheap. As a healthy conscious place I'd assume there would be nuts - fruit - wholesome items in the scones but no they were bare of any ingredient apart from dough.

The coffee tasted like chicory from 1980s and could not be drunk - the hot chocolate was a powdered chocolate / on leaving she never said thanks or goodbye -

I advise you all strongly go there at your peril worst cafe ever visited and never again.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

After a guided walk we were taken to this café run buy the partner of one of our guides. It harks back to the 1960's with dreary plastic table cloths and tired outdated décor. The welcome was not warm and during our visit a lady with children and a push chair who had struggled upstairs was turned away with the proprietor stating "I'm too busy for you now".

1  Thank Maggiefantastic
Reviewed 2 March 2014

If u want real wholefood in honest true surrounds this is the place.Real homemade honest food for the quality excellent valve where do these other people eat?

Reviewed 31 January 2014

This restaurant is far from cheap, and unfortunately the food we had was very lacking in flavour. Restaurants selling a good range of vegetarian foods are fairly thin on the ground and we were quite excited to try the Acorn Café. However, the dishes we had were for want of a better word "boring" and lacking in flavour. Veggie food, when done well, can be really exciting but unfortunately, the food we were served was anything but.

We will not be going back.