“Lovely staff and food”

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely staff and food”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Went for a Sunday lunchtime snack a couple of weeks ago. A bit worried by staircase wall clutter, but the aroma of the food urged me on. I was not disappointed when I reached the top. A couple of lovely young girls served me. They were able to advise on the food on offer, and went about their duties in a pleasant manner. The lady manager prepared the food in the kitchen, but did not waitress. She seemed very friendly, and talked pleasantly with people she obviously knew well who were customers. There was a limited choice of main meals, one meat and one vegetarian, but that's better than a huge choice of less tasty food. I only wanted a snack, and had a reasonable choice of healthy snack dishes. The food was as pleasant as the service. There was no choice of cappuccino or latte coffees, just filter, but a whole variety of teas was on offer. I had common or garden tea, and the girl was happy to give me a good pot of hot water to go with it. I had a nice filling cake after my snack; it was boring looking but delicious to taste!
Altogether this was a very happy experience, and I hope to go to the town again to sample an Acorn main meal!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank 911helend

Neston, United Kingdom
“nice food but seemed expensive”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

9 of us (4 adults and 5 children) visited today, for drinks (coffee, tea, apple juice and cordial) and cake. We all enjoyed our choices - flapjacks, date slice, apricot slice, and the sizes were generous. The staff were nice and friendly. The only reason I haven't given this a 5 is that the total just seemed rather expensive (about £40). We did ask for coffees and were offered cafetieres instead which I assumed were the same price.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dave L
Shropshire
“Love this cafe! Great staff.”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have been eating in this cafe for many years, and do not recognise the establishment described by some others who have given poor reviews. I think if all those many people who have enjoyed their meals here had written reviews, they would far outbalance the poor reviews. The food here is usually tasty and wholesome; not to your taste if you just like fry-ups, or if you have a palate accustomed only to 'quick' meals. I particularly enjoy the wholesome puddings, and a soup and pudding makes a really filling meal for well under £10!

A particular strength of this cafe are the quality of the delightful, young weekend staff, clearly local schoolchildren and students. Without exception I have found the young staff (some clearly very young) polite, helpful and competent, with a delightful manner towards their customers.It is good to see how much their confidence grows over the months (and sometimes years) that they have worked here. Clearly the proprietor trains them well. and they are a credit to the cafe.

There are many good cafes in Church Stretton, and I have eaten in most of them. All have a different atmosphere. I always return to the Acorn, where there is space to move, and an atmosphere which I find friendly and relaxed.

The cafe has a tea garden. This is full of atmosphere, but perhaps a bit scruffy (or should I say 'natural') sometimes! But I always enjoy eating there!

A large proportion of my reviews are 5 star; this is because I tend not to write reviews for mediocre or poor establishments, in case I have gone on a bad day--who doesn't have them? I suspect most people who enjoy the Acorn do not post Trip Advisor reviews, or there would be many more 5 star reviews.

I have no business connection with The Acorn. I just enjoy eating there!

• Visited May 2014
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rudest person we've ever met . The food was awful”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

After visiting this cafe over the weekend and as I never ever feel the need to write any reviews I thought I would share the experience.
The old lady was unhelpful - rude - ignorant and disrespectful she is in the wrong business.
We ordered scones which were vile they were a heated block of soda bread put in a microwave and were not cheap. As a healthy conscious place I'd assume there would be nuts - fruit - wholesome items in the scones but no they were bare of any ingredient apart from dough.

The coffee tasted like chicory from 1980s and could not be drunk - the hot chocolate was a powdered chocolate / on leaving she never said thanks or goodbye -

I advise you all strongly go there at your peril worst cafe ever visited and never again.

• Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Very unwelcoming”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

After a guided walk we were taken to this café run buy the partner of one of our guides. It harks back to the 1960's with dreary plastic table cloths and tired outdated décor. The welcome was not warm and during our visit a lady with children and a push chair who had struggled upstairs was turned away with the proprietor stating "I'm too busy for you now".

Visited April 2014