“Unwelcoming and tasteless food”
Review of Acorn Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Acorn Cafe
Telford, United Kingdom
“Unwelcoming and tasteless food”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Called in for a quick snack on Sunday, the cafe was empty. The young man who took our order was polite, that is the only positive comment I can find to say about the experience. We ordered baked potatoes with various fillings, when served they were mushy, warm, tasteless and over cooked.
When paying the bill we found the elderly lady really rude. I would never go back there.

• Visited July 2014

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Still eating there!”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately for us, The Acorn seems to be winding down, as the owner is now semi retired. I used to enjoy weekday eating there, but it is now only open on Saturday, Sunday, and one week day, apart from school holidays. The food is still as good, and the staff friendly and good at their job. Like Ginger and Green up the road, there is room to move between the tables, unlike some coffee shops and cafes in Church Stretton, and the atmosphere is relaxed, and friendly.

Visited May 2014
Galashiels
“Not cheap”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This restaurant is far from cheap, the food we had was very average. The menu limited.
The staff were friendly but the decor and furnishings are 1980s style and tired.

• Visited May 2014
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely staff and food”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Went for a Sunday lunchtime snack a couple of weeks ago. A bit worried by staircase wall clutter, but the aroma of the food urged me on. I was not disappointed when I reached the top. A couple of lovely young girls served me. They were able to advise on the food on offer, and went about their duties in a pleasant manner. The lady manager prepared the food in the kitchen, but did not waitress. She seemed very friendly, and talked pleasantly with people she obviously knew well who were customers. There was a limited choice of main meals, one meat and one vegetarian, but that's better than a huge choice of less tasty food. I only wanted a snack, and had a reasonable choice of healthy snack dishes. The food was as pleasant as the service. There was no choice of cappuccino or latte coffees, just filter, but a whole variety of teas was on offer. I had common or garden tea, and the girl was happy to give me a good pot of hot water to go with it. I had a nice filling cake after my snack; it was boring looking but delicious to taste!
Altogether this was a very happy experience, and I hope to go to the town again to sample an Acorn main meal!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank 911helend
Neston, United Kingdom
“nice food but seemed expensive”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

9 of us (4 adults and 5 children) visited today, for drinks (coffee, tea, apple juice and cordial) and cake. We all enjoyed our choices - flapjacks, date slice, apricot slice, and the sizes were generous. The staff were nice and friendly. The only reason I haven't given this a 5 is that the total just seemed rather expensive (about £40). We did ask for coffees and were offered cafetieres instead which I assumed were the same price.

Visited May 2014