All reviews hf holidays outdoor pool walking holiday packed lunch guided walking self guided comfortable hotel hotel is situated corner shower long mynd base for exploring evening meal stunning location wide choice group of friends local produce surrounding area
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Our stay was in one of the self catering lodges within the hotel grounds. The lodge was very dirty. Cobwebs everywhere. We pulled the bed away from the wall and there were cobwebs all over the back of the bed. The kitchen cupboards felt sticky with grease and the cooker hood was filthy. toaster did not work and microwave dirty and old. Sink draining rack was very dirty. Showerhead still had hair on it from previous occupants. Bedside cabinets were very dirty. Bed was hard and duvet too small . The only good thing about this place is the location. It's a shame that the lodges have been neglected in so many ways .

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Samuelpeeps
Manager579, Manager at The Longmynd, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

Here at the Longmynd Hotel we strive to maintain our reputation of providing quality, clean accommodation to all our guests. Over the past few months we have been working hard to continue to improve our product, yet still making it available at a reliable price to all of our customers. On this occasion we do not seem to have met your expectations for which I can only apologise. Our Managers and housekeeping team are dedicated to providing an excellent service to all our customers, and regularly assess the services we provide to enable us to improve our customers stay.

Many of your observations from your stay are basic errors on our part for which I can only apologise, and can I assure you that we have now improved procedures to ensure that these never happen again. Kind Regards The Operations Manager

Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed here for two nights in Sept 2011 to do the Ludlow Food Festival (fantastic btw, thoroughly worth going to). This is a privately owned hotel that is probaly accurate in being descibed as 3 star. The room we stayed in was clean with fantastic views from the balcony where we could have sat had the weather allowed; the TV worked but could have been bigger for the size of the room; the towels were thick and fluffy; the shower was a pathetic dribble!
We had an evening meal on the Friday in the restaurant and must have brough the average age down considerably and we're late 40's! The mains were fine but the leek and potato soup of the day was insipid - watery, tasteless and it goes against the grain for me to add salt but I had to. Service was a bit hit and miss too - they did me a free glass of wine to be fair tho'. Breakfast the next morning was poor compared to the service on Sunday when there were different staff on duty: tea and toast took a long time to arrive.
The hotel is ideally situated for the great walks avialble in the area. Oh, the food at The Clive in Bromfield on the A49 on the way to Ludlow was fantastic on Saturday evening

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

I’m sorry to learn that your recent stay resulted in a poor experience in our restaurant. On this occasion we do not seem to have met your expectations for which I can only apologise. Our Duty Managers and restaurant team are dedicated to providing an excellent service to all our customers, and checking on regular occasions if there is anything we can do to improve there meal Please contact me directly if you are ever planning a return to Shropshire so that I can arrange your booking, and oversee your entire stay. Returning to stay at the hotel would allow us to provide you with the service that we expect from our team and prove that your last stay was an unfortunate isolated Regards The Operations Manager

Reviewed 12 September 2011

You cant fault this hotel for its location, lovely views all round and a nice approach to the hotel. Reception staff were helpful and friendly. Our room was clean and tidy but very dated and quite small, as was the bed, the bathhroom looked as though it had been refurbished recently, its a shame they didn't spend some money on the shower! A very small cubicle (no bath), with a shower that was barely a dribble and was cold. We complained about this and the next day we did have a warm shower with a slightly improved dribble, so someone had made an effort to correct it. The hotel looked like most of it had not been touched since the 60's or 70's, and while this could be a charming feature, it really looked tired and in need of some TLC. On the plus side the cooked breakfast was very good, but the staff in the restaurant somewhat surly. On our first moring we had continental breakfast as advertised in the menu but the buffet table was missing most of the listed items, we had to make special requests for croissants, ham, cheese and yogurt! This hotel could be so much more given its location, it needs updating to the 21st centrury. Most of the guests appeared to be from the older generations so probably did not mind the 'retro' approach!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lewis_England_9

I’m disappointed to learn that your recent stay resulted in a poor experience in our hotel. A hotel of this age requires maintenance and basic refurbishments on a daily basis .Our maintenance team are dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming environment for our guests, unfortunately at times during the busy season we may be able to rectify all situations as quickly as we would like. If you wish to discuss your issues please contact me so I may address this with you directly. Kind Regards The Operations Manager

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Mixed felings about this review. First impressions are awful. One of those terrible " what have i done" moments. It looks like an old peoples home. Reception is like a poorly stocked Spar shop.
You are a hotel, so act like a hotel and shift the rubbish and act professionally rather than try to milk an extra 10p of profit!

Receptionist was clueless. Lady checking in before me had booked 2 rooms and had cancelled one with 3 weeks notice and had lost her £50 deposit on the room. The policy was no refund and she was wanting to see the manager later. I hope common sense prevailed.Handled badly by someone new by her own admission and with little training and little interest.

Our room was basic. Good bed and pillows, clean but no shower. I have never satyed in a hotel and not showered the next morning. There was a shower in the bathif you sat down. No curtain and no hook high up. Not for me. I made do with a wash at the sink.

Now for the good stuff. FOOD WAS EXCELLENT BOTH BREAKFAST AND EVENING MEAL. Bar prices some of the lowest I can remember, a bacardi and coke £3.20 so well done there.

I have saved the best thing about this hotel to last!
I ONLY BOOKED TO STAY 1 NIGHT.

I was delighted to leave and go home to a nice en-suite with a shower.

I understand this hotel is still in family hands. While that is admirable and very nostalgic, if the family does not have the money to invest and update it may well be better of in the hands of a chain who can and save a lovely old hotel (1902) from sliding into ruin caused by customers like me who would not return unless paid to stay there not the other way round. I would go and eat there though!!

I hope the impact of this email is not to cost you trade to to make you come to your senses and either sell or invest. To do neither is a crime as this place has so much potential and the glory days can come back.

Room Tip: Relying on fading former glory from the 60's or 70's
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mikeonline1

I am extremely disappointed to hear of your recent stay in the hotel did not live up to expectation. However I am extremely pleased that you did enjoy your dining experience at the hotel. We strive to maintain our reputation of providing quality, fresh, local and seasonal produce to all our hotel guests and restaurant customers. Over the past few months we have been working hard to continue to improve our product, yet still making it available at a reliable price to all of our customers.

As the hotel is situated in an area or natural beauty you can understand that we attract a lot of walkers who do enjoy a long soak after their walk. The majority of our hotel rooms have showers and can be requested on booking. Also as a hotel that does provide newly refurbished 1 and 2 bedroom self catering lodges in our grounds, we are obliged to provide small shop facilities

I do agree that some of the issues you have highlighted in your review are not what we have come to expect from our team and I assure you that your observations will be investigated and addressed to prevent them happening again.

Kind Regards The Operations Manager

Reviewed 30 August 2011

This is a good three star hotel. The staff are efficient and helpful. The restaurant is a good standard. The building is old but appears to be well maintained and has an old fashioned charm. Our room was perhaps just a little small but perfectly adequate; no complaints.

We thought the hotel good value for money.

The grounds blend well into the slopes of The Long Mynd; we would like to have had more time to explore them.

We could only stay one night but enjoyed it very much and will surely return.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reg D
Manager579, Manager at The Longmynd, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2011

Firstly can I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your positive review. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your 1 night stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back again, hopefully for a longer stay on you next visit to Shropshire. Best wishes The Operations Manager