This hotel has some history as it was built in 1901, although the hotel has been modernised you can still find bell buttons used in an earlier age. Situated on the lower slopes of the valley it is surrounded by trees which does reduce the views, unless you happen to be on the top floor.
I went with a walking group of 23 and we all seemed to have a variation in bedroom sizes and en suite facilities, mine was a nice size room facing the front so not much to see. The en suite was a triangular bit which was all right for me but somebody else with ample proportions might struggle in the shower.
The Restaurant was at the back which got plenty of sunshine so could be a bit too warm at times. In the main the quality of food was very good, and they provided an ample packed lunch with plenty of items to choose for eating on our rambles.
One bonus is that they had a heated pool which was ideal after a long walk. The pool was 1 metre deep to start with and 3 metres deep at the other end which made the swimming area smaller than it looked. This area could do with some refurbishment and looked a bit Spartan; a few more flowers would help. On the plus side they had changing rooms and shower facility.
The staff were friendly and attentive, I had a fluorescent light flashing which was a dealt with promptly.
On the whole I would recommend staying here, bearing in mind that the Hotel is over 100 years old it certainly has character in my opinion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Longmynd dates from the early 1900s and originally attracted Edwardian visitors to the 'Little Switzerland' of Church Stretton. With a magnificent hill-top location, there are panoramic views of the surrounding hills from the dining room and our lounges. Today the Longmynd has been extensively modernised to suit the needs of visitors. We offer spacious bedrooms, fabulous food and spacious lounges to relax in. Our extensive gardens and woodland walk are both relaxing places to explore. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Longmynd reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Longmynd Hotel Church Stretton
- Hotel Longmynd
- The Longmynd Church Stretton, Shropshire