“a must!”
Review of The Royal Oak Inn

The Royal Oak Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Withypool B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Stayed with my husband Chris for three nights 20,21 and 22 August and we cannot praise the place enough. The food was just superb, all freshly prepared in house - I can particularly recommend the steak pies! The beer and wine is lovely as is the general ambiance. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank amron54

Reviewed 13 August 2013

We visited Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th August in the evenings with a party of 5. This lovely pub/restaurant served us magnificent food on both occasions. We hadn't booked on the Sunday evening and the staff did their best to find us a table and get us dinners before the kitchen closed for the night. This is a busy, atmospheric bar used by locals and tourists, the menu is extensive; we would have been happy to work our way through most of the choices. We enjoyed a lovely asparagus flan, beef wellington, home made steak and Exmoor ale pie plus much more.

Thanks to Jake and his team, just a shame the pub isn't closer to home!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OstrichHampshire
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We arrived here after a long walk and found a haven. The rooms were really comfortable and the bed was one of the best I have stayed in. The bathrooms were well appointed, with gallons of hot water and lovely soaps, shampoos etc. We had a really good dinner and a fantastic breakfast.

The whole experience was very enjoyable and we will certainly return. Can highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank quokka2750
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Straight from the start, we had a wonderful welcome - a great couple run the place and their hospitality is amazing. The food is absolutely lovely with incredible portion sizes (smoked salmon and scrambled eggs at breakfast was huge!!), the beer is kept really well, the surroundings are beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful company. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KD1909
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We returned to the Royal Oak after an absence of a few years, and were reminded of all the things we love about the place. It may be under new management, but the rooms remain a delight, the service is excellent and the food wonderful (large portions). And Jake is still behind the bar! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I had walked all day in the pouring rain so was very glad to arrive at the Royal Oak in Withypool. The bar area is quite dimply lit and has a real fire at one end making it a lovely hideaway from the cold and wet outside. My room was lovely and had a double bed with a really terrific country-style bathroom. Everything worked as it should and had a rustic charm distinguishing it from the main-stream hotel chain offerings. My room was actually part of the fire escape route and consequently had a lock which, in emergencies, could be opened without a key. It didn't really reduce the security of the room at all but did make locking the door quite tricky. I'd say they should have another look at the lock on that door! Also, the bed had a 13.5 tog duvet on it which may be luxurious but I found it massively too hot and could not sleep under it at all. I used the duvet cover and spare blanket from the wardrobe instead, which was fine with me.
The food in the bar/restaurant was actually very good, and while the dim lighting meant it was hard to see much of it, it tasted great. I'm not so sure about the beer though! Maybe it was just the make of ale but I won't be hurrying back for more. The wifi worked very well both in my room and in the bar.
The service was friendly and efficient and overall I'd say I had a lovely stay and would recommend the place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Well I don't know where to start. Booked via the Internet on Tuesday afternoon. Double room with breakfast included £90. Although I assume the last room I had due to the iron man being on so had a private bathroom across the hall. But that was no problem at all. From time of arrival to departure everything was just fantastic.
Great cider, ales and service. After a nice relaxing bath went back down for a couple of drinks before dinner. Then this is where it all went wrong!! I must point out at this point for the rightreasons!!
The choice on the menu was just amazing so it took sometime to choose. So after sometime thinking the deed was done.

Deep fried Brie wedges, my goodness I have never seen so much cheese
Chicken liver parfait , just lovely both to start

Baked fig risotto and turbot and king prawn linguine .

Oh and Eton mess for afters and a good couple of glasses of rose.

The bar was buzzing the staff were fantastic and provided a warmth to the stay.

Just one warning to anyone who visits the royal oak! You will not go hungry especially if you stay over night and go for the full English breakfast. I like my food but I have to admit leaving what can only be described as the best English breakfast I have ever had.

Room and bathroom very clean quite and well presented.

Well worth a visit!!!!!!

Thanks to Paul and Sarah and your staff for just a brilliant stay.

Will be back very soon.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Scrumpy41
Also consider these accommodations in or near Withypool
The Luttrell Arms
#1 of 2 in Winsford
King's Farm
King's Farm
#2 of 2 in Withypool

Been to The Royal Oak Inn? Share your experiences!