“Dog friendly gem. ”

and 1 more site!
The Millers at the Anchor
Ranked #2 of 3 Porlock Weir B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

So much to complement them on but here are the highlights. The staff are welcoming and the service is excellent. The rooms are well appointed but a bit on the small side. Bathroom is modern and clean but again a bit tight. Breakfast is excellent. Evening menu is also good and my fillet steak was superb. Lounge area is comfortable and there is also a mini-library. The hotel is dog friendly with just the restaurant being off limits.

If you want or like old world charm or are looking for somewhere nice to stay with your dogs, this is a great choice.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank THincPM

Reviewed 18 January 2014

would have loved to have stayed at this hotel and made a booking that was accepted. 4 days later they cancelled my booking via secret escapes because on there own admission they had double booked. would have been nice to have had a call direct from hotel . I left several messages and emailed and eventually had a call back from a relief receptionist the following day who was delightful and very apologetic but said there was nothing she could do as there were no rooms available at the Anchor or any sister hotels. Asked to speak with manager but he wasn't available. Eventually had a call back more than 25 hours later as a room " had become available" but it was too late as I booked to stay elsewhere. was offered a 20% discount and free wine with meal if wanted to book another date but this was no great deal as this was what I was paying originally anyway. Spoke with an extremely rude deputy manager - Lyndsey - who told me to go ahead and write bad review on trip advisor and she will respond. Not the sort of customer service I would expect from a hotel of this standing - will be interesting to see how long she will stay in this role with that attitude. Still waiting for a call from manager but doubt that will happen. Such a shame as I was a frequent visitor when they had the hotel at Wookey Hole and I would have liked to sample the hospitality of the Anchor.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank June0111
trottamundo, Manager at The Millers at the Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Secret Escape customer. I am so sorry that this problem arose with your booking with Secret Escapes. Unfortunatey the date was not blocked off before the deal went live. I do accept responsibilty for this, my father recently passed away and I needed to take a break and I apologise. However in any event you should have been notified immediately and I opologise that the person covering for me in my absence failed to do so.I am also shocked to hear how you were treated by the deputy manager as judging by our past ratings we have not had this criticism and I am really upset that in my absence them have let me and yourself down. Once again my apologies and I do hope that we can offer you a beautiful harbour view room in the near future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay. The staff are very friendly, my husband commenting that one in particular is the best front of house he has come across. We enjoyed the day starting with a marvellous breakfast, then a lovely walk with our dog, back for afternoon tea served with freshly made biscuits sitting in front of an open fire while playing chess or reading a book. In the evening a couple of pints in the pub next door, then back for a delicious meal. Marvellous - what a place! We'll definitely be returning this year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2014

If you want a run of the mill hotel do not come here it is full of antiques, bric a brac and plenty of character and old world charm the bedrooms are lovely the breakfast very good all in all we had two fantastic nights also not to mention great G&T welcome drink. Our dog was also made welcome by all the staff. The only down side the restaurant was only open at weekends due to staff holidays and refurbishments but other places to eat in Porlock Weir. A good hotel

Room Tip: all have harbour view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Millers at The Anchor at Porlock Weir is a great place to stay. The decor is eclectic and quirky, not for the minimalist in any way as this place is chock full of antiques, collectables and bric-a-brac from floor to ceiling (Go somewhere else if you want Ikea furniture, magnolia walls and a drab reception!). Lovely staff, cheerful, chatty, very friendly and helpful. Excellent food, well cooked and presented, great value for money and served in a superb atmosphere. And then there are the views. The hotel is literally a few feet from the pretty harbour and beach of Porlock Weir. Our room had sweeping panoramic views of Porlock Bay and the Bristol Channel. Leave the window open at night an you will drift off to the soothing melody of waves breaking on the shore. Porlock Weir is nestled on the coast of Exmoor National Park with Lynmouth, and the stunning coastline of North Devon and Somerset on the doorstep. Not many places get my 'must come back' vote, but this was one of them. I dare you not to enjoy a stay at Millers at The Anchor.

Room Tip: 1. Ask for a sea view, costs more but well worth it if you appreciate the beauty of our English coas...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay. At Millers at the Anchor. All of the staff made us feel so welcome from the moment we arrived till we left. Nothing was too much trouble and always a smile. The room (no 2) was lovely. Huge with 4 windows overlooking the harbour. Such great views we left the blinds and curtains open at night. The cream tea was delicious and the dinner first class. The rack of lamb was so large and tender and tasty it was outstanding and the service excellent. The choice of c300 DVDs to watch in your own room or their cinema room was a nice touch although just sitting in front of an open fire drinking a millers gin and tonic was very relaxing. Loved the library and all the quirkiness of the hotel. Guess if you are a minimalist you might not like but otherwise am sure you will be as delighted as us. We will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Choose a harbour view room. The views are stunning
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We were part of a large party celebrating our friends'wedding anniversary.It had been some years since we had stayed at the ANCHOR , situated in glorious Porlock,where Exmoor meets the sea.The hotel is a very old building with lots of period features.Millers have redecorated many rooms ,and packed it with antiques..We had a very warm welcome and found the staff friendly and helpful. The roaring fire and squashy settees were just what we needed for relaxing and socialising with old friends. They coped admirably with catering for a large party and served us a delicious evening meal. I hope it won't be long before we return to this distinctive hotel!

Room Tip: We were lucky enough to have a room overlooking the sea and with an impressive four poster bed. Oth...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
0 mi away
Chapel Knap Accommodation
Chapel Knap Accommodation
#1 of 1 in Porlock Weir

Been to The Millers at the Anchor? Share your experiences!