“Victoriana and some”

Millers At The Anchor
Ranked #1 of 3 Porlock Weir B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This is an amazing experience that takes you out of the hustle and bustle of life and enters you into a world of paintings, busts and animal heads belonging to a past generation. It is quirky and eccentric but lots of fun with care taken to ensure your stay is comfortable. The sea view rooms are a must with spectacular views to Wales. Breakfast was fresh cooked with a good variety on the menu. Great restful retreat and ideal for walkers.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had a two night break at this eclectic hotel and greatly enjoyed our stay. Our harbour view room had a four poster bed and all the usual amenities plus our own mini library and pot of sweets and toffees! Porlock Weir had recently been flooded but we saw only the high tides up to the harbour wall below our window not the further effects of this winter's weather. The staff were very attentive and helpful when we had problems with our tv and the guest computer. It is worth noting that the hotel restaurant currently closes on Monday and Tuesday evenings although this may change in high season. We took the bus into Porlock but again be aware that many businesses are closed on Mondays at present. If you like unusual and quirky then this is the place to stay for you due to the antiques, paintings and ornaments that cover every wall and surface. Amazing!

Room Tip: A harbour view is a must. Watch the tide come rolling in.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Arrived two hours after we expected, with an urgent message to call our son, was able to use bedroom 'phone without any charge. Invited to help ourselves to drink from the bar, using honesty bar tab . Warm and welcoming atmosphere open fires, candles, bowls of sweets and a profusion of ornate eclectic decor. Room overlooking the harbour - delightful. No need to take any holiday reading as there are more books than the average local library. Evening meal satisfactoy but not exceptional. Breakfasts were very good with a good selection of both cooked and continental options. All in all worth a visit.

Room Tip: Be mindful able to hear piped music from harbour facing bedrooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed at this lovely hotel, in such a beautiful position, last October. After a very taxing week the weather wasn't at all bad when we arrived, and following a walk round, it was absolute bliss to sit by the open window in our room, at the front of the hotel, and just read and listen to the sea. The staff were great. Very friendly and helpful. The food and restaurant were very good, although a bit quiet on a Thursday. The gin and tonics were excellent. Friends from Dorset travelled over on the Saturday and we just sat about chatting and catching up in the very comfortable lounge. They ordered some sandwiches which looked delicious. As other people have said, this place isn't for the minimalist. But it's fun and very quirky. We were there near Halloween and there were all sorts of additions to be found. Our room was very comfy but if I have any criticism it's that the lighting was so subdued everywhere that it's impossible to see to put your make-up on and thank goodness for the lit Kindle for reading. The bathroom was quite basic but I'm sure if it's done up in the future, it would be a good idea to have good lighting at least in there. We had a great time and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

So much to complement them on but here are the highlights. The staff are welcoming and the service is excellent. The rooms are well appointed but a bit on the small side. Bathroom is modern and clean but again a bit tight. Breakfast is excellent. Evening menu is also good and my fillet steak was superb. Lounge area is comfortable and there is also a mini-library. The hotel is dog friendly with just the restaurant being off limits.

If you want or like old world charm or are looking for somewhere nice to stay with your dogs, this is a great choice.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank THincPM
Reviewed 18 January 2014

would have loved to have stayed at this hotel and made a booking that was accepted. 4 days later they cancelled my booking via secret escapes because on there own admission they had double booked. would have been nice to have had a call direct from hotel . I left several messages and emailed and eventually had a call back from a relief receptionist the following day who was delightful and very apologetic but said there was nothing she could do as there were no rooms available at the Anchor or any sister hotels. Asked to speak with manager but he wasn't available. Eventually had a call back more than 25 hours later as a room " had become available" but it was too late as I booked to stay elsewhere. was offered a 20% discount and free wine with meal if wanted to book another date but this was no great deal as this was what I was paying originally anyway. Spoke with an extremely rude deputy manager - Lyndsey - who told me to go ahead and write bad review on trip advisor and she will respond. Not the sort of customer service I would expect from a hotel of this standing - will be interesting to see how long she will stay in this role with that attitude. Still waiting for a call from manager but doubt that will happen. Such a shame as I was a frequent visitor when they had the hotel at Wookey Hole and I would have liked to sample the hospitality of the Anchor.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank June0111
trottamundo, Manager at Millers At The Anchor, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Secret Escape customer. I am so sorry that this problem arose with your booking with Secret Escapes. Unfortunatey the date was not blocked off before the deal went live. I do accept responsibilty for this, my father recently passed away and I needed to take a break and I apologise. However in any event you should have been notified immediately and I opologise that the person covering for me in my absence failed to do so.I am also shocked to hear how you were treated by the deputy manager as judging by our past ratings we have not had this criticism and I am really upset that in my absence them have let me and yourself down. Once again my apologies and I do hope that we can offer you a beautiful harbour view room in the near future.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is a wonderful place to stay. The staff are very friendly, my husband commenting that one in particular is the best front of house he has come across. We enjoyed the day starting with a marvellous breakfast, then a lovely walk with our dog, back for afternoon tea served with freshly made biscuits sitting in front of an open fire while playing chess or reading a book. In the evening a couple of pints in the pub next door, then back for a delicious meal. Marvellous - what a place! We'll definitely be returning this year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 3 in Porlock Weir
The Castle
The Castle
#9 of 18 in Porlock

Been to Millers At The Anchor? Share your experiences!